Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Remember to update passport information online if you get a new passport, otherwise you will not be recognized with the new passport (we forgot, but we still got expedited treatment).

We have found the few times we have tried to use NEXUS that the lanes are closed, so no advantage there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Where do you update passport information online? I went to the United website and added my Global Entry # - but did not see a place for my Passport #.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't fly United regularly, so I'm not certain about them, but one of the ones I do fly has a check box on your profile which brings up a place where you can enter your passport information.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #64

We got our conditional approvals and I just scheduled our interviews for mid-May.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I don't fly United regularly, so I'm not certain about them, but one of the ones I do fly has a check box on your profile which brings up a place where you can enter your passport information.
I have found airlines request the data only when you book an international flight. United for some reason does not seem to keep the data in my experience even though we are mileage plus members
Old 03-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
Where do you update passport information online? I went to the United website and added my Global Entry # - but did not see a place for my Passport #.
I haven't been able to enter my passport information except on a United ticket - traveler info. But then it was remembered. It might have been on an international ticket where I first entered this. It has been retained since. I can see it when I edit traveler info for a given ticket.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We got our conditional approvals and I just scheduled our interviews for mid-May.
Keep checking if you want an earlier appointment.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #68

Quote:
I believe the comment about updating your passport was for the GOES account, not the airline frequent flyer account. If you have a Global Entry card and you get a new passport, then you have to login to your GOES account and enter the new passport number there. The Global Entry status is connected to your passport, and the info will stay linked to the old one if you don't login and tell CBP about your new passport.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1265/~/updating-passports-or-making-changes-to-your-goes-membership
Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

When we got our GOES/NEXUS cards, we were told that there were very few things we could update online; most things required a visit.

But when we moved last summer, we found that we could update almost everything online. They are obviously continuing to improve the system.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
I have found airlines request the data only when you book an international flight. United for some reason does not seem to keep the data in my experience even though we are mileage plus members
I fly mainly Alaska Air and American Air. Both have places for saving passport info. Good to know that all airlines don't have the same accommodation.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Did some research. United Airlines used to allow you to enter your passport # and your global entry #. I was able to enter my GE # but will have to enter my new passport # when I check in for my International flight. My understanding is that the United app will allow you to then upload a picture of your passport. Found information on Flyer talk forum.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Got our TSA Precheck today. Maybe the KTN helped.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did some research. United Airlines used to allow you to enter your passport # and your global entry #. I was able to enter my GE # but will have to enter my new passport # when I check in for my International flight. My understanding is that the United app will allow you to then upload a picture of your passport. Found information on Flyer talk forum.

Interesting. I've had no trouble entering this on prior international flights. Now UA remembers it.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I've taken any number of international trips on Delta, and only had to enter my number the first time. Delta has always remembered it since then.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I have precheck free through work, so gonna have to remember to add that $85 to my retirement expenses when I do quit!

Things to know: not all airlines do Precheck - notably Frontier and Spirit. TSA also says that you can be "randomly excluded" on certain flights as well though I have yet to experience that on mine.

At DIA sometimes the Precheck line is longer than the regular line (especially on Monday mornings), but it moves pretty fast. I think precheck is handy to have for sure if you are a frequent flyer.

I don't know that I will travel enough internationally to bother with Global Entry when I retire. I figure that I will have time to stand in line then anyway as I will be in no hurry.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with security anyway .... Just show up early enough and follow the rules and you breeze though the actual process in about 30 seconds anyway! It makes me mad to see people giving the security personel (and even the airline counter people) such grief for just doing their jobs. Hey folks, these people are trying to keep you safe while getting you where you are going ......

Even customs was easy when we came back from our last cruise. Finding our bags among the sea of luggage from the large ship - not so much. I never buy dark colored bags anymore because it seems everyone has a black or dark blue bag. The brighter the better in my opinion!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the on the info on updating the GE with new passport info. My DW just got her new one and we will be traveling next month so you have just saved us some time!

Also, the Pre-check is the best thing ever. Here at the ATL airport, the city leaders and TSA have been in a p***ing contest and this has resulted in some significantly long lines which we (so far) have been fortunate to not deal with. My DW's sister came to visit and when she left last Tuesday, she missed her flight because she had to wait an HOUR AND A HALF to get through security!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
I don't know that I will travel enough internationally to bother with Global Entry when I retire. I figure that I will have time to stand in line then anyway as I will be in no hurry.
You might not have all the time in the world if you have to make a connecting flight after customs!
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You might not have all the time in the world if you have to make a connecting flight after customs!
+1000
Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #79
Dryer sheet wannabe

Both the Global entry system and the pre- check have been improved over the past couple years. We have been very happy to "skip the lines" with the pre-check at almost all airports. As noted above some of the discount flyers don't participate.
I'm increasingly happy with our decision to spend the money on the GE/pre-check.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Both the Global entry system and the pre- check have been improved over the past couple years. We have been very happy to "skip the lines" with the pre-check at almost all airports. As noted above some of the discount flyers don't participate.
I'm increasingly happy with our decision to spend the money on the GE/pre-check.
This is great to know, I have been listening to this roll out for a few years and it sounds like it is working better than many other well intentioned programs. My DW and I are looking forward to getting into the Global Entry System.

Thank you,