Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Upper middle class

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Rich class

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Forget the US Census Bureau. Given only 4 choices, which one describes you best?

"Forgetful"?

"Limited"? ;-)

---
What are we s'posed to be choosing among?

Neither! You just discover a quirk in the new software. To create a poll, you first have to post a new thread. So the post appears before the actual poll options.

I said middle class because that is our yearly income level and our actual spending profile.

--yeh, I figured that out and deleted the post-- :)

Do you mean from a financial point of view income or net worth; how you were raised; or social status.
I was raised poor working class
I have a middle class income
I have an upper or possibly rich net worth
I live a social status of the lower middle class

From your personal financial view of yourself at this very moment.

I'm a bit surprised to discover that I view "class" as a function of the number of one's ostentatious material possessions and the brand of [-]Budweiser[/-] er [-]fine pilsener[/-] uhm [-]chardonnay[/-] alcoholic beverage in their refrigerators.

By that definition I'm with HFWR.

Maybe "class" should be a function of net worth (however this board chooses to define that number) or the last fine theater performance one attended... although at $100/ticket for "Lion King" in Hawaii, those two categories are probably mutually exclusive.

I'm a bit surprised to discover that I view "class" as a function of the number of one's ostentatious material possessions and the brand of ... alcoholic beverage in their refrigerators.

Hmm.. really? Donald Trump is not my idea of "class".. but you're right; it's a loaded word.

Talking with people from England (probably the most traditionally "class-aware" society in the Western world) and Italy, I end up telling them that it's not really true that there aren't "classes" in the US.. just that the classes are distinguished more by money than by family or by education be it cultural or otherwise. In America money opens doors that 'good breeding' and cultcha don't. In Europe I get the feeling those with lotsa dough and no background are essentially viewed as mafiosi (and they may be right a lot of the time); anyway, they would never be viewed as "upper-class" as they are here by dint of means alone.

Even the most broke out-of-luck middle-/upper-class person tries to 'keep up appearances' as best they can and distinguish themselves from the masses, wearing a threadbare tailored suit and shirt rather than T-shirt/sweats. In that context, very few Americans, indeed, have any "class" whatsoever (and I don't exclude myself here)!

raised - upwardly mobile from not much money very early on to country clubs, summer camps, boats, blah blah.
current income - someone else mentioned this in another post (sorry i do not remember who so i can not credit you but i just love it): "independently middle class."
current net worth - i guess upper middle class? no idea really; whatever mom left me.
social status - i pick my nose.

"you can pick your friends. you can pick your nose. but you can't pick your friend's nose."~~saying

HFWR and Nords: Did you vote?
Yes, "middle class". (We turned off the feature that indicates how a poster voted.) But I'd be happy to edit the poll to include HFWR's category and then add myself to it...

Even the most broke out-of-luck middle-/upper-class person tries to 'keep up appearances' as best they can and distinguish themselves from the masses, wearing a threadbare tailored suit and shirt rather than T-shirt/sweats. In that context, very few Americans, indeed, have any "class" whatsoever (and I don't exclude myself here)!
When I walk by Bob Dylan and he hands me $100 to get myself a haircut/shave and some nice clothes, then I'll know that I've finally dressed too far down... of course I'd probably ask Bob to autograph the $100 so that I could frame it and sell it on eBay.

I think the best definition of class is when one's possessions reflect that person's internal values instead of their [-]credit rating[/-] net worth. That'd put The Donald deeply in the negatives on all counts.

Forget the US Census Bureau. Given only 4 choices, which one describes you best?

Well, if I'm describing myself, then I'll have to go for "Rich Class"! Heck, I've got enough money to last me for as long as I live, to do whatever I want to do, to go wherever I want to go, and live life any way I want to live it!

Of course, just like beauty, 'rich' is in the eye of the beholder. IMHO.

Most importantly (to me anyway) is the fact that I have a life that is worth living, and thoroughly enjoy living it!!! Now that I'm FI (and in my eyes, independently wealthy) I'll never have to w*rk again, ever, for the rest of my life. I've got everything that I could want or need. I've got my health, my family, my home, and all my other 'stuff'......oh yeah, and enough money to keep living life! So, IMO, I'm the richest guy on the planet!

Now that's what I call class! ;)

Thanks.
You mean for future polls? Past polls should not be affected.
For a few chaotic hours after the software switch, it was possible for any ol' user to click on any poll's results, new or old, and see how each poster voted. For example the software would obligingly display exactly which category Sam & Nords "anonymously" voted in the "Net Worth" poll.

After it was fixed, I joked with the user who'd pointed it out that it was a good thing they'd spoken up or we'd never have noticed. The user riposted that we should worry about how many users had already noticed and elected not to say anything...

Ok. May be you already know this: You can still create poll today with the option to make the votes NON-anonymous.

Do you mean from a financial point of view income or net worth; how you were raised; or social status.
I was raised poor working class
I have a middle class income
I have an upper or possibly rich net worth
I live a social status of the lower middle class

Ditto.

I consider myself middle class. I know lots of people who would consider me rich, but that's just because they don't have a dime to their name. I also know some people that would consider me "not poor," but only because I never complain about not not being able to pay my bills. I also know a handful of people who are waiting for me to catch up to them and move up to their neighborhood.

No, no, no. It's not bad at all, and it's definitely not a bug. The voters will be warned, so there's nothing bad about it.

After it was fixed, I joked with the user who'd pointed it out that it was a good thing they'd spoken up or we'd never have noticed. The user riposted that we should worry about how many users had already noticed and elected not to say anything...

I know what you mean. I find it ironic. People usually complain about the truthfulness of the posted infos, yet still want to know what the exact number is!

No, no, no. It's not bad at all, and it's definitely not a bug. The voters will be warned, so there's nothing bad about it.
Heck, we already have self-admitted posters who don't feel compelled to read the entire thread before they throw their contribution at the fan.

No matter how big the disclaimer I doubt most, let alone all, posters would understand that their poll response could be identified. The board's had a long tradition of anonymous polls and it's one way that we can begin to glean some sort of conclusion-- perhaps even an accurate one-- about the various facets of ER.

For a few chaotic hours after the software switch, it was possible for any ol' user to click on any poll's results, new or old, and see how each poster voted. For example the software would obligingly display exactly which category Sam & Nords "anonymously" voted in the "Net Worth" poll.

Ok. May be you already know this: You can still create poll today with the option to make the votes NON-anonymous.
I don't do polls anymore....Never understood what the point is to the polls on this forum anyway. I would rather that everyone explain their lives in writing, in as much detail as possible.

Yes, "middle class". (We turned off the feature that indicates how a poster voted.) But I'd be happy to edit the poll to include HFWR's category and then add myself to it...

When I walk by Bob Dylan and he hands me $100 to get myself a haircut/shave and some nice clothes, then I'll know that I've finally dressed too far down... of course I'd probably ask Bob to autograph the $100 so that I could frame it and sell it on eBay.

I think the best definition of class is when one's possessions reflect that person's internal values instead of their [-]credit rating[/-] net worth. That'd put The Donald deeply in the negatives on all counts.
Right now Nords I'm riffing on you kinda looking like JC in robe and sandals with a 9 foot board under arm..close?

Back
Top Bottom