Votes: 20 17.2%
  • I am female, and not a mother or step-mother

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I am male, and a father or step-father or both

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • I am male and not a father or step-father

Votes: 33 28.4%

• Total voters
Decide when I was ~10 that I would never have any.

People are all different. When my wife decided to stop at 2, I was quite sad for a while.

Ha

People are all different. When my wife decided to stop at 2, I was quite sad for a while.

Ha

We're all different. I'm just annoyed when some people inflict their opinions on me.

No kids for us. I used to work with kids when I was younger and I do look after my niece from time to time but I do not feel the urge to have any kids of my own. DW is pretty much the same way, great with other people's kids, but no desire to have kids of her own. Other people might not understand our choices and that's OK, I don't understand their choices either most of the time.

Father of 2, GF of 4. Those human beings, along with DW, are the center of my life.

I used to wonder where I'd be had the kids not come along, but it's pretty hard to imagine. I guess it must be comparable to nonparents wondering what things would have been like with 20+ years of kids under the roof.

There is a saying about wives and husbands that goes something like "Divorce? No. Murder...yes." I think there should be some saying like that for parents with kids. Mine could argue until my head was twizzling around at times. :mad: Just lucky for him he had a mother who loved him totally and pretty much unconditionally I say:LOL:...or he'd been in deep poop.
I wanted to be a mother. I had alot of fun with my kid. I enjoyed him "most" days. But I cannot tell you what my motivation was to be a mother at all...it was just a need I had to take care of someone I guess. Go figure?
But for folks who don't want children, I am your biggest booster and believer that not everyone needs to have kids or should have kids--especially if they don't want them. It is definitely NOT for everyone..and that's why God invented both chocolate and vanilla.
Again, what a boring world this would be if we were all alike.

You beat me by 10 years. Two years of being a day camp counselor pointed me in the childfree direction. Most important decision I ever made.

I voted no kids, even though I have a 32 yo stepdaughter. She was long gone when I showed up.

I had two children who were the center of my universe and it has now expanded to include my grandson and of course my SO . It's a life choice and not for everyone but it was the right choice for me .

I seriously expected to get Rickrolled when I clicked on this link from Ha on the Child-free Study thread. :LOL:

One kid. Didn't want to have kids at first, but after she came I always wished we'd have more. Didn't work out that way, but no regrets.It's been a trip, overall. One granddaughter too, and she's a pistol. :D

I don't know how they can measure happiness, though. It would be interesting to see their criteria.

Interesting results. I expected a higher percentage would be parents. I would speculate that it is just a self selection bias - a fair number of people choosing not to have kids may be thinking forward to FIRE.

Me. No kids. Never wanted them....I'm the oldest daughter and had to look after younger siblings growing up. What A Drag.

He. Two kids from previous marriage. Both grown and on their own when we met. Guys with kids were a no go when I was still dating.

I have two grown children - I adore them! There is nothing like grown "kid-love!" My son still comes over and mows the lawn! My daughter makes special treats for us and brings them over. Yes, I can say, they are the loves of my life.

No kids. Just the furkids. I didn't not want them but I didn't want to enuf to make happen either. No regrets.

I answered yes (step-mother) because when I was married, I was a full-time step mother of three (all grown now) and still maintain relationships with them.

No kidlets of my own. No heroic measure to make it happen or not. If I am supposed to have them, it will happen. (age 40 now)

I am the father of 3, the FIL of 2, and the grandfather of 1. I couldn't imagine life without them and hope for many more years and more grandkids.

Even when I was a kid I did not like hanging out with kids. Always preferred dogs.

Was thrilled when a friend found a doctor who would do V's on young unmarrieds with no kids (this was pre-internet, and not easy to find) to seal the deal.

Even when I was a kid I did not like hanging out with kids. Always preferred dogs.

Was thrilled when a friend found a doctor who would do V's on young unmarrieds with no kids (this was pre-internet, and not easy to find) to seal the deal.

Exactly.

Kindergarten report card: "Does not work and play well with others."

Interesting results. I expected a higher percentage would be parents. I would speculate that it is just a self selection bias - a fair number of people choosing not to have kids may be thinking forward to FIRE.

If you think about the dynamics of FIRE, it's not surprising. Given what it takes to get there, it's natural that we'd be overrepresented by [-]cheapskates[/-] LBYMers, people without children (who can save for retirement instead of college), and folks in the public sector. All of these groups are more likely to be able to FIRE sooner. No doubt we have some here who hit the "trifecta" and are in all three of these groups. That combination would more or less be the early retirement version of a winning lottery ticket. :)

No children for me and I never wanted any. I love all my nieces and nephews, but it's nice to send them home to their parents after a visit.

I will be a great great aunt early next year! :D

If you think about the dynamics of FIRE, it's not surprising. Given what it takes to get there, it's natural that we'd be overrepresented by [-]cheapskates[/-] LBYMers, people without children (who can save for retirement instead of college), and folks in the public sector. All of these groups are more likely to be able to FIRE sooner. No doubt we have some here who hit the "trifecta" and are in all three of these groups. That combination would more or less be the early retirement version of a winning lottery ticket. :)
Agree

A 33 yo son. Didn´t expect him. Genius Doc said I wouldn´t be able to have children (I couldn´t care less) a couple months prior to our marriage. When I told my soon- to- be wife she was glad of the news.Both of us came from large families and, maybe because of that weren´t much interested in kids. Neither of us were thrilled when told that she was pregnant, quite the opposite
She died 13 years ago. Never got along with son. Plenty of times I was in the middle of their arguments or disagreements. Sometines we even blamed him for some of OUR fights. It was very unfair.

In the course of recent years (since her mother died?) I´ve become aware that I´m truly glad I´ve had him, with whom I´ve really got along fine.

My second wife likes him a lot, even though she says that he is a 33 yo spolled brat:D.

But like some people here, I like dogs better than kids. I never stop to pay attention to kids with the same enthusiasm I do with dogs.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom