Top 10 Gifts for the Woman Over 65

I find myself torn between being amused and being insulted. Guessing the woman that wrote this is in her 20s.

7. UNDERWEAR

Don't go for thongs.
I thought this advice regarding one suggested gift was especially helpful:
Just goes to show how easy it is to misunderstand. I thought the insult was being told not to buy them...

Excerpt from the link:

Remember, people in this age group were in high school or in their twenties when rock music came on the scene and when the upheavals of the sixties hit. When you think of gifts for women over sixty-five, think sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Gahh! This is about women who are 65, and we are only in our mid 50's. We did not do any of that. Why we got married and did not become a monk and a nun is truly a mystery.

The article, IMHO, is incredibly insulting to women in general and women 65+ in particular.

Oh yeah. I'm thinking it might not be a good idea for Yahoo to have the writer of this article interview German Chancellor Angela Merkel or Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. :facepalm:

It seems like the article should include an 11th option of direct to the garbage dump service for the mostly junk it is proposing! :LOL:

I'm not 65 or over yet, but wouldn't want the majority of what was being suggested. The audacity of suggesting that everyone over 65 has smoked pot! The author surely doesn't have a clue about much.

I am only 64, but the only things on the list that I would like would be the elliptical (YES!!!) and the flowers. Also the Bath and Body Works stuff, but I already have too much of it.

They didn't mention a Playstation 3, gift certificate for a favorite restaurant, or Kindle books gift card.

Liebovitz, Sontag, Etheridge.............for the gay woman over 65?

Gahh! This is about women who are 65, and we are only in our mid 50's. We did not do any of that. Why we got married and did not become a monk and a nun is truly a mystery.
Don't feel bad. I turn 65 in a month, DW in five. We didn't do any of that perceived 60's stuff either (too busy with our own lives).

It's funny that a group of folks who were not the majority are looked upon as "the norm" of all life during that period of time.

I would definitely enjoy the flowers . Victoria's Secret has gone too teenage for my taste so skip that but the marijuana may be fun for a trip down memory lane.:)

Don't feel bad. I turn 65 in a month, DW in five. We didn't do any of that perceived 60's stuff either (too busy with our own lives).

It's funny that a group of folks who were not the majority are looked upon as "the norm" of all life during that period of time.

Me feeling bad? ;) I was just joking.

I do not envy those people. We have different values and lifestyles.

In seven years I will be 65, and the only items on this list that have any appeal to me are the Hawaiian flowers and the theater tickets ( for something of my choosing).

I have gotten to the age where if I want something, I buy it so that the item conforms to my own tastes and fancies. The gifts I value most from my family and friends are the pleasure of their own good company.

...but the marijuana may be fun for a trip down [-]short-term[/-] memory [-]loss[/-] lane.:)

FIFY

I skimmed the article; I thought it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but I could be wrong... :p:p:p

Reminded me of my Nana's complaint that "Everybody gives me soap for a present. What, do they think I don't bathe?"

"10. GIFT SETS FOR THE BATH AND BODY
Almost any woman enjoys special lotions, oils, and soaps but the over sixty-five crowd tends not to buy these things for herself. These gift sets can be purchased at many places but Bed, Bath, and Beyond has some especially nice ones for $20 to $30."

Amethyst

The article, IMHO, is incredibly insulting to women in general and women 65+ in particular.
You're not the only one. Did you read the comments at the host site? They are tearing the author to shreds!

FIFY

I skimmed the article; I thought it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but I could be wrong... :p:p:p

I kinda don't think so. That's what makes it even more horrible.

The mentioning of sex and drugs annoyed me so much that I did not bother to read the rest of the article. I just now did, and did not think the list was as ridiculous as I feared. Except for one suggested item being MJ, why did she mention sex and drugs at the introduction? To get attention, apparently. Dumb!

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be buying my 72 year old mom either pot or panties.

I don't think I'll be buying my 72 year old mom either pot or panties.

Nor will I buy these items for my nearly 83 year old mom. IMHO, the article misses what my mom really wants. Some good times together, lunch and a movie, and spending time with each other are better than these awful "gifts". I really love her so much. I'm lucky that way. To have a mother I want to be with.

Nor will I buy these items for my nearly 83 year old mom. IMHO, the article misses what my mom really wants. Some good times together, lunch and a movie, and spending time with each other are better than these awful "gifts". I really love her so much. I'm lucky that way. To have a mother I want to be with.
Judging from the article, I doubt this is about presents for our Mommies. A lot of 65 year old women look as good as women many years younger, and they can get it on as well or better too. They are not ready for warm milk and a place by the fire.

Ha

Last edited:
I find myself torn between being amused and being insulted. Guessing the woman that wrote this is in her 20s.
I think satire & irony are even funnier when the author doesn't realize they're being satirical or ironic...

Back
Top Bottom