Lauren Bacall dead at 89

She was one of the all time greats. May she rest in peace.

Bacall delivered one of the sexiest lines in film history, with her "You just put your lips together and blow." How could Bogie not have fallen in love with her?

Bacall was the last of the glamourous icons, 16 in all, that Madonna included in her 1990 song Vogue.

Most of today's "stars" couldn't hold a candle against her. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

She had elegance, style and grace.

Qualities rarely found today in the acting world. Sally Quinn has an article about her in the Wash Post today, much better than anything I could write.

She had elegance, style and grace.

Qualities rarely found today in the acting world. Sally Quinn has an article about her in the Wash Post today, much better than anything I could write.

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if the lack of elegance, style and grace in most of the female (and male) stars these days is more a reflection of what we the audience want to see. Lots of skin, "reality" TV drama, extreme violence/gore, etc... seem to be the hallmarks of modern entertainment. True, such things "sell" when it comes to the box office and eyeballs (reflected in the sales of products advertised during commercials), but I can't help but wonder whether we as a culture are to blame for what passes for entertainment these days. It's almost like the transition from intellectual Greek dramas, tragedies and comedies, to the Roman colesium with its crude shows of gladiators, lions and persecuted people of the day.

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if the lack of elegance, style and grace in most of the female (and male) stars these days is more a reflection of what we the audience want to see. Lots of skin, "reality" TV drama, extreme violence/gore, etc... seem to be the hallmarks of modern entertainment. True, such things "sell" when it comes to the box office and eyeballs (reflected in the sales of products advertised during commercials), but I can't help but wonder whether we as a culture are to blame for what passes for entertainment these days. It's almost like the transition from intellectual Greek dramas, tragedies and comedies, to the Roman colesium with its crude shows of gladiators, lions and persecuted people of the day.

You do have a point.

Seems to me most are unclear on the concept of sensuality. Let it all hang out is not part of it.

Miss Bacall was also in another movie with a beautiful actress: "Murder On The Orient Express", with Ingrid Bergman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom