Being in Their 80s Won’t Stop This Biking Duo

They look younger than their 80s which is either testimony to the benefits of riding, or testimony that good genetics lets you keep riding, or both. DW and I hope to keep riding into our 80s. We shall see. On our biking trips I see lots of folks in their 70s but only a few in their 80s. Many of the relevant factors are out of our control.

Great story. Thanks for posting. It's great to see 80 somethings biking, and looking years, maybe decades, younger.

Great story. I'm definitely hoping to be active enough at that age that people think I'm nuts.

I think that's great, but I also think it's quite rare. I see lots of active people in their 70s. 80s - not so much, although I still see some walking quite a bit.

I think that's great, but I also think it's quite rare. I see lots of active people in their 70s. 80s - not so much, although I still see some walking quite a bit.

Anecdote: My in laws are 87/85 and, although slowing down, are still quite active (he doesn't do tennis when it is high 90s anymore, but otherwise, game on.). Unfortunately, genetics and lifetime choices both matter, and it helps if they coincide. (They are 10 years older than my mom and in better shape; dad smoked himself away at 69.)

My intent is to live in my 80s just like my in laws are. Now, for the part of making it happen.... :cool:

They look much younger than 80 something... I wonder how many miles they ride? They guy isn't skinny and it may be a lot of effort going uphill, no?

Last edited:
Role models.

I am hoping I inherit my father's genes. He will be joining us, at age 80, for Ragbrai 2016, assuming we get through the lottery. Ragbrai is a seven day, 450+ bicycle ride across Iowa, and he should surely be one of the more senior riders in attendance.

Previously he has biked from Canada to Mexico, which he did in his late 60's.

My only concern during Ragbrai will be trying to keep up with him. I'm pretty sure I'll fail in that effort.

Back
Top Bottom