Any buyers here for one of these?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The price of pickup trucks continues to go through the roof. This link shows several $50K+ trucks. Any takers?

Car and Driver

Not in a million years!!! :D

Those trucks look HUGE. I'd probably need a ladder to get in one.

Not a taker, but a looker....
Best friend from my campground just bought a Ford... not sure if a Lariat or a King Ranch, but it is awesome. He and his wife are now retired, and planning to spend the next ten or fifteen years on the road... An awesome fifth wheel 40 ft, with toy box to carry their two new Harley trikes. The trailer rivals the most deluxe on the market.
The truck has every add-on available, including special paint, (same color as the fifth wheel) and upholstery that is leather, hand stitched, and looking like an elegant horse saddle.
He believes he bought at rock bottom price of $72,000.

His fifth wheel is similar to these... Bought a 2014 custom built model w/three tipouts similar to the ones shown here.

Weekend Warrior Toy Haulers|Travel Trailers|5th Wheels|Direct

Interesting plan for retirement, at a total price still less than the house they are selling. Takes a special type of person to make this commitment. So far, so good.

I am planning on getting a 2017 Ford F350. Diesel. The aluminum bodies will be out in 2017. Probably a lariat trim, crew cab. I drive a 2003 F350 diesel now.

This may well be my last truck, so it will have a few extra options.

The car dealers must get pretty excited over selling these vehicles with such high price tags. As with everything if you want it and have the money why not go for it. We have people who are buying corvettes or Teslas and enjoying the ownership and driving experience.

Wonder if anyone has yet figured out a way to take your money with you at the end of this life!

I am looking.
Since my camp beater 98 GMC 1500 Z71 is on final legs, 210,046 miles as of this evening and mostly rusted out. Likely will not pass annual safety and/or emissions inspection in June when it is due.
Am looking for a replacement but not any new one. It will be a GMC 1500 Z71, no newer than 2011 at most.

They can keep those new ones or sell them to those with money to burn. I gotta laugh at the bedliner spray in or otherwise. Pickup beds rust from the bottom up, not from top down. The inside of my rustbucket pickup's bed has many scratches, all the rusting is form the bottom including the stiffeners which are mostly gone.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine it as to me a vehicle is for comfortable use, not showing off.
Last yr, I spent the most I ever have for a vehicle 30K for a Sienna van.
Can't see why a truck would cost more, other than greedy sales opportunity.

I am planning on getting a 2017 Ford F350. Diesel. The aluminum bodies will be out in 2017. Probably a lariat trim, crew cab. I drive a 2003 F350 diesel now.

This may well be my last truck, so it will have a few extra options.

What do you pull that needs a 350 diesel ?

I'm thinking of the future, as at first I thought a 150 could pull a trailer, but talked to some folks who felt that was a bit light, and I should get a 250.
None of this is immediate, possibly not for a few years, but could be sooner if I get itchy.

Not any of these, but the new Chevy 2500HD Duramax I purchased in 2011 to pull our RV had a sticker price of $56K. Does that count?

Sounds like you got the Candy Apple Red package with custom rims.

I'm torn between the F150 King Ranch and Platinum. I was looking at them recently. But after I saw the sticker prices, I decided that my 2009 F150 is good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The high end trucks are outrageously priced. They wouldn't fit in my garage and I wouldn't want to drive something that big anyway.

I'll settle for a mid-sized truck and it meets my needs.

I have a 2013 King Ranch. It was my "gold watch" that I brought for myself 3 years ago during the "OMY delay". It was a self-reward for what finally became 40 years work. It should last me at least 15 years or more.

I cannot imagine it as to me a vehicle is for comfortable use, not showing off.

You have fallen for the stereotype that a "big truck" equals "showing off". That's simply not true.

Those of us who tow large RV's require a large truck to handle the weight, and those trucks don't come cheap - opting for a diesel engine adds $7-8K to an already steep price.

You have to pay to play...

What do you pull that needs a 350 diesel ?

I'm thinking of the future, as at first I thought a 150 could pull a trailer, but talked to some folks who felt that was a bit light, and I should get a 250.
None of this is immediate, possibly not for a few years, but could be sooner if I get itchy.

I am planning on getting a fifth wheel. The cost difference between an F150 and F350 is minimal, with the same equipment. Less than ~$3,000. Add in the diesel, and it becomes more.

If you are getting an F250, get an F350. Only the springs are different from what I have heard.

Here in MN, license tabs are only ~$120 for a F350, and they are ~$500+ for an F250. Commercial plates are cheaper, but they stay constant vs. a declining cost based on value for the F250.

This will be another work truck, so it will be purchased by my business and a write off. It may even help my Roth conversions to be a smaller taxable event.

If you are getting an F250, get an F350. Only the springs are different from what I have heard.
I think the brakes are also larger in a 350, but you are correct that the primary difference is in the springs (and thus a larger towing capacity).

I agree that stepping up to a 350 is a wise move. Only $1K in added cost (the last time I looked) but a nice bump in towing/weight capacity - a requirement way too many RV folks underestimate when buying a big trailer.

I can afford neither, but if I was pulling an RV the size of a house, I'd opt for the 350(0) with the diesel engine.

My BIL has one of both of the aforementioned toys. The truck rides like a Caddy, is very nicely appointed, and will pull (and stop!) the house-on-wheels, without breaking a sweat.

I can afford neither, but if I was pulling an RV the size of a house, I'd opt for the 350(0) with the diesel engine.

My BIL has one of both of the aforementioned toys. The truck rides like a Caddy, is very nicely appointed, and will pull (and stop!) the house-on-wheels, without breaking a sweat.
(emphasis mine) Each to his own, and I know it's his money, but as for me I'd rather just go to the trouble to figure out where I want my house to be, buy a house there, move in, and be done with it. (Which is what I did). What an incredible pain in the rear to have to tow one's house around while theoretically on vacation.

DS has a Honda Ridgeline going on 10 years now. Its a gentleman's truck vs a working truck. Probably the most comfortable and best riding truck I have ever been in. Honda is coming out with a major update for 2017, which will be more truck like. Aside from that, I do like the new F150 Platinums, but alas, it will not fit in my small garage.

(emphasis mine) Each to his own, and I know it's his money, but as for me I'd rather just go to the trouble to figure out where I want my house to be, buy a house there, move in, and be done with it. (Which is what I did). What an incredible pain in the rear to have to tow one's house around while theoretically on vacation.
You forgot to complain about having to dump the septic tank! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom