Classic Cars

OneDay

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone working on or own any classic cars, muscle cars, etc. I plan on spending a good deal of my free time working on them once I'm fire. My projects include a SS Chevelle, a 60's SWB c/10 and G body " 78-83 " Malibu.

I don't have a classic car at the moment. Here's my last ride:

Attachments

• 1969 Mach 1.jpg
    1969 Mach 1.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 15
If I could find a nice BMW 2002, I'd be open to some tinkering around.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
One of the main drivers (pun intended) of ER for me is so I canImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1472608329.188887.jpg work on my 1969 Volvo 1800S

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I won't put pictures of all of mine. Have 8 cars 1968 and earlier, I will have no problem keeping busy in retirement:

1937 Chevy Utility Coupe (aka Ute, from Australia)
1937 Ford Ute
1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan (my namesake)
1949 Ford COE
1952 GMC pickup
1955 Studebaker (landspeed race car project once retired)
1963 Dodge Town Wagon (going to sell this one)
1968 Pontiac GTO

Here are pics of some, since just words is not as much fun.

Nice, I love all classic cars, American, European, I enjoy them all, but mostly partial to 60s and 70s muscle cars. But like I said, I love them all, future cars I'd like to have is 32-34 Ford Sedan Flat head v-8 car. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks. 390 c.i GT engine (precursor to the 428 CobraJet), 4V, 4 speed wide ratio top loader, trac-lok rear-end. It was a whole lot of fun to drive! It expanded my social life too. I sold it to a guy in the oil patch in Canada in 2010. I had 3 sons at the time to go through their driving years. I didn't want the temptation sitting in the garage and I didn't want to go to any of their funerals. Maybe I'll get back in the game when we have an empty nest in 5 years or so.

One of my best "investments"...A 1966 Jaguar E-Type coupe purchased as a "barn find" after a three year search. I worked on it for three years to get it road worthy and don't plan on ever selling it.

With today!! my LAST DAY of W*RK I'm planning on making driving a huge part of my retirement.

1E-33010 Black with red leather interior.

On its 50th birthday (dispatch date) May 13th this year, we went on a 150 mile ride through the twisty back roads of central PA.

Working on a 1937 Studebaker pickup street rod for myself. About 90% complete. Hopefully next spring. Finishing paint on a friends '55 Chevy station wagon. Assembling a '50 Chevy pickup for a neighbor after mods and paint.

No, but if I had the garage space, I'd want to work on a 66-69 SS Chevelle, Nova or Camaro.

I'm still planning on finding a BMW Isetta to rebuild/restore once I retire.

This is a picture of DW and me along with Dennis Gage of "My Classic Car" a TV show for classic car enthusiasts. We are standing in front of my classic car which is a 1965 Chevy Impala SS convertible with less than 43,000 original miles. It was on his TV show. I have owned the car for 17 years and I am currently working on it as one of my retirement hobbies. I have owned over 20 classic/muscle cars over the years, many which I wish I still owned. This car sits in a newly constructed garage/shop where it gets pampered treatment most days.

1957 VW. Bought in '92, finished resto in 1999, featured in Hot VWs magazine in 2000. Still have it, have put a bit over 16k miles on it so far.

And yes, the color is original. In 1955 they made the one millionth Beetle in Wolfsburg Germany, and came up with this special color for the commemoration ceremony. It was the offerred for the next 2+ years, called "Diamond Green Metallic", very gold in the bright sun. And that is a ski rack on the back grille.

Currently restoring a 1951 Beetle, 25hp, non sychronized transmission and cable brakes!

Attachments

• '57.jpg
    '57.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 13
This one I didn't restore, just wrote a check for. Bought in 2010 as a 20th anniversary gift for my wife (if you can read the vanity plate). 1969 Mercedes 280SL. Really fun car to drive, has been all over New England including a Ferry ride to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend.

Attachments

• benz.jpg
    benz.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 18
I love the old cars. I bought a '71 Nova when I was 13. My dad gave me a book on how to rebuild small block chevy's and let me use his tools. I learned a lot with that car. Rebuilt the engine, trans and brakes. Replaced the interior, installed the stereo and even sanded the car down and painted it with a friend. That was back in the 80s. In 2006 I bought a 63 Corvette and spent 6 years having that one re-done from the ground up. I like to autocross, and felt bad beating on a very expensive car. Sold it 3 years ago and bought a '06 Z06 as my fun car. I also bought a 69 Camaro that I am in the middle of building. Should be done with body/paint early next year. I plan to do the final assembly in my garage when I ER next year.

One of my best "investments"...A 1966 Jaguar E-Type coupe purchased as a "barn find" after a three year search. I worked on it for three years to get it road worthy and don't plan on ever selling it.

Black with red leather interior. .

OOH! One of my favorites. One of the first 150 mph street cars, and in a somewhat rare color combo, too. We have a local guy that horse trades XKE's and Healy 3000's, and he buys and refurbishes about 5 XKE's a year.

I've got a XK8 convertible, which has some of the styling of the XKE (but not quite as beautiful).

My college roommate had a brand new '68 XKE convertible when I lived with him, and it really sang with the Abarth quad exhaust system.

Last week, we met at the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham. The museum purchased his Lotus 47 (Europa) B Sports Racer and put it into their Lotus collection. It was great to see the car 45 years later in brand new condition. He had it on the back straight at Talladega running over 175 mph--at less than 1400 lbs. in weight.

I still have a thing for classic cars--domestic and imported.

Last edited:
I still drive my first car. 1976 Monte Carlo. Mostly restored, with swivel seats, 350 motor, dual exhaust, 4bbl carb, improved cam. Fun toy. May take it on a 12 hr trip next week from my home in Moscow to Boise Idaho.

I've been buying, fixing and selling classic cars for many years now. It was one of my main reasons for retiring once I became FI. I just wanted a lot more time to play with the old cars. I'm an okay hand on the mechanical side of things :) but not so much on paint and body work. I can do the paint and body work but it's to much like work.:nonono: Engine and drive train rebuilds are my favorite.

What I'm finding as I get older, crawling around under a car or truck is becoming much more of a PIA (and pains in other parts of my anatomy) than it was just 5 years ago. I only have one full height auto lift so it's always in use, even for simple things like brake jobs, lubes and oil changes.

I've been working on cars since I was 17 yrs old. Sometimes out of necessity, more recently for fun. My last 3 play-vehicles, in chronological order are: 1956 (restoration-sold); 1960 Lotus Seven tribute. (Scratch built and current driver); and 1974 Cushman Truckster (under restoration). Also currently working on a 1989 Maxum boat. I expect that some time I will be unable to do these things. But for now...... I enjoy.

Attachments

• 1974 Cushman Truckster.JPG
    1974 Cushman Truckster.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 13
  • MGA.JPG
    MGA.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Locost.JPG
    Locost.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 13
I hope i can return to my passion, have stockpiled 69 firebird, 72 elcamino, 74 vette, 75 eldorado, 76 mercedes, 84 vette and related parts. 13 vehicles in all including daily drivers.

Very cool, classic cars may be part of retirement as well. ��

Back
Top Bottom