Mary Tyler Moore

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Apparently Mary just died.

oh so sad! She did really well though considering her diabetes.

Last edited:
So sad. Looks like 2017 is starting off like 2016 :(.

My childhood role model. "she's going to make it after aaallll!"

RIP Mary. :(

Sad to learn this. I really enjoyed watching her on TV growing up.

RIP

Just saw the news. :( :(

She truly did "turn the world on with her smile."

She devoted her energies throughout her life to work on behalf of those with juvenile diabetes, and to animal rights. She will be missed.

Another American treasure is gone. RIP, Mary.

She had a long and well-lived life and was open about her problems--RIP, Mare!

Last edited:
She was a beautiful and talented woman. A life well lived it seems. RIP.

Just saw the news. :( :(

She truly did "turn the world on with her smile."

She devoted her energies throughout her life to work on behalf of those with juvenile diabetes, and to animal rights. She will be missed.

Another American treasure is gone. RIP, Mary.

+1 I couldn't have said it better.

"Oh Mr. Grant!" The MTM show was great with wonderful characters. And then there's Betty White still going strong at 95!

I think she was a great role model for women of my generation. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was inspirational for young women at that time.

An old joke from that era: MTM was the woman that every single guy wanted to introduce to his mother as his fiancée.

The Nightly Newses all ran a retrospective of her career, all the way back to her role in that Private Eye series with Richard Janssen. She was unseen -- switchboard operator's voice only. Those early Dick Van Dyke shows were wonderful.

And what a great Dancer. Anytime she got the chance to show off her moves, she was all that !!

RIP Mary.

I think she was a great role model for women of my generation. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was inspirational for young women at that time.

I was in high school and then in college when the MTM Show aired in the 70's. It certainly motivated me to want a career and my own apartment in the big city. Years later I read how she made the cast feel like family and how desperately some of the actors needed a job at the time and their appreciation.

An old joke from that era: MTM was the woman that every single guy wanted to introduce to his mother as his fiancée.
She was my pre-adolescent crush.
The Nightly Newses all ran a retrospective of her career, all the way back to her role in that Private Eye series with Richard Janssen. She was unseen -- switchboard operator's voice only. Those early Dick Van Dyke shows were wonderful.

And what a great Dancer. Anytime she got the chance to show off her moves, she was all that !!
I recall they did show part of her leg. Just a tease!

There is a one-hour special tonight on CBS.

Loved her performance in Ordinary People, probably my favorite movie. Reminded me of my mom. And of course, I thought MTM Show was one of the funniest around, back in the day. Sorry to hear she's gone.

I don't tend to follow actress/actresses much, so I can't say I'm a big fan, but I do recall seeing some of her dance routines, and she seemed very talented. And she always seemed bright and smart and funny in interviews, she had quite a career.

I was looking for a clip from youtube, came close but no cigar. Might have been the very first show, she was interviewing with Lou Grant, and he ask a personal question, she doesn't want to answer, but the next question is even more personal, so she answers the previous question. IIRC, this goes on for a while, with her answers one question behind. I just remember it was really funny, and maybe you could even say choreographed like a dance routine. Very ingenious. If anyone finds a clip, please share. The ones I found are just the end - Lou Grant says "You have spunk!", It seems like a compliment so MTM grins and says well, yes, Lou Grant shouts back "I Hate Spunk!"

I haven't heard what she actually died from - was it a general deterioration from the effects of diabetes?

-ERD50

CBS is playing an hour-long special right now, all about MTM.

I don't tend to follow actress/actresses much, so I can't say I'm a big fan, but I do recall seeing some of her dance routines, and she seemed very talented. And she always seemed bright and smart and funny in interviews, she had quite a career.

I was looking for a clip from youtube, came close but no cigar. Might have been the very first show, she was interviewing with Lou Grant, and he ask a personal question, she doesn't want to answer, but the next question is even more personal, so she answers the previous question. IIRC, this goes on for a while, with her answers one question behind. I just remember it was really funny, and maybe you could even say choreographed like a dance routine. Very ingenious. If anyone finds a clip, please share. The ones I found are just the end - Lou Grant says "You have spunk!", It seems like a compliment so MTM grins and says well, yes, Lou Grant shouts back "I Hate Spunk!"

I haven't heard what she actually died from - was it a general deterioration from the effects of diabetes?

-ERD50

Here is a link to the very first episode of the show (S1EP1), which is where the interview with Lou Grant takes place.

Mary Tyler Moore Show - First Episode

Here is a link to the very first episode of the show (S1EP1), which is where the interview with Lou Grant takes place.

Mary Tyler Moore Show - First Episode

That was it! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Even better than I remember!

LG: never married? Why?
MTM: Why?
LG: Mmmmm. You type?
MTM: there's no simple answer to that question ...
LG: How many answers can there be? You can type, you can't type.
MTM: 65
LG::confused:?? "words per minute?, my typing question?".

Classic! I'd rate that up there with "who's on first".

OK, I gotta admit, though I said I wasn't a huge fan, there is some real chemistry there. She is an adorable combination of strong, cute, and vulnerable.

Too late to go into it now, but I'm curious to hear from the females who speak of that character as a role model. I grew up in those times, and I guess I never really thought of a women at that time as not being able to do a 'man's job'. Though I am aware that the older generation sometimes saw it that
way - so I guess that's the Lou Grant character? But would you let someone else define you? OK, if they were in the position of power, I guess so.

-ERD50

Too late to go into it now, but I'm curious to hear from the females who speak of that character as a role model. I grew up in those times, and I guess I never really thought of a women at that time as not being able to do a 'man's job'. Though I am aware that the older generation sometimes saw it that way - so I guess that's the Lou Grant character? But would you let someone else define you? OK, if they were in the position of power, I guess so.
-ERD50

I was 13 in 1970 when the MTM show began. I had no doubt about my ability to do a job well, although I realized I would have to excel to be taken seriously. If I were 13 now, I might have become an engineer, but in those days there were very few women engineers, and I was warned about sexual harassment, which would have been difficult to cope with alone. So I chose a career path that was more welcoming to females. What I got from MTM was the idea that a single woman could have an interesting and independent life.

Back
Top Bottom