Deluged with Rolex and Cartier advertisements...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Seems like everyday I am seeing Rolex and Cartier watch advertisements. I was always inclined to think -if you want to drop $14,000 dollars for a watch that's your business. The advertisements now say you can finance your Rolex and they tout what a great deal it is. Buying jewelry on time -- something about that feels so terribly wrong.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking although Rolls Royce probably also offers financing for their cars...

Other than some tasteful albeit a few expensive pieces for DW, never have seen the allure of jewelry, and that's all a Rolex is. I've been debating about actually acquiring my first watch since phones were showing time, and a Timex would certainly do it. However, splurged on the Apple watch, being afraid I'd regret it as a gimmick. After a few days I'm still learning features, and actually think it was worth the $400. Fun toy. Can even choose a Mickey or Minnie Mouse face! Now that's value!

I have had 3 Rolex Watches in my Life, my wife has had 2. Currently I have a Sub and she has an oyster ladies, the ones we have sold in the past to make room and help fund the ones we have now, we sold for around 35-45% more than what we paid for them New.

I have no desire for a Rolex or other expensive watch but if I did I would be very careful where I bought it. There are so many fake Rolex's out there I would only buy from a reputable dealer and would be very leery of any unsolicited ads received.

Have a good friend who's in financial business and accompanied me and DW on business trip to NY. He'd done ALL :LOL: the research on fake vs real Rolex's and spent $2-300 on one on Canal St he KNEW was real. It wasn't. :facepalm:

Have a good friend who's in financial business and accompanied me and DW on business trip to NY. He'd done ALL :LOL: the research on fake vs real Rolex's and spent $2-300 on one on Canal St he KNEW was real. It wasn't. :facepalm:

i could have gotten him the same one for 60 bucks,lol.

We were very amused when spending a week in Switzerland a couple of months ago. After a while we started trying to spot stores NOT selling Swiss watches. There didn't seem to be too many. :LOL:

I don't even wear jewelry now. If I have to pay to wear something it wouldn't be a Rolex.

Bought one for my ex-wife once, I prefer Breitling myself. Currently have several sitting in my draw as I stopped wearing watches more than a few years ago, unless I am wearing a suit. Plan on giving them to my sons, when they get older.

I own one- I'll admit it. The band and case are the 18K gold and stainless steel version. Bought it used at Dick's Pawn Shop in North Myrtle Beach for $2,300 about 10 years ago and I've paid more than that over the years getting it overhauled (ask me how I know that if you wear it while swimming in chlorinated water regularly and don't have it maintained, the seals leak and you have to replace the guts). It IS real- Rolex has cheerfully serviced it and they won't touch fakes.

I don't know why I wanted one but I always have. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing ratty shorts and a T-shirt from my collection of freebies, I still feel somewhat well-dressed.

I also own a Rolex that was a gift from DW a few years ago. I like it very much and will pass it down to my son when I'm gone, just like DW will pass down jewelry I have given her over the years. I think she paid around $9200, so it's not a high end model. But since it was a gift from her I cherish it.

Seems like everyday I am seeing Rolex and Cartier watch advertisements. I was always inclined to think -if you want to drop $14,000 dollars for a watch that's your business. The advertisements now say you can finance your Rolex and they tout what a great deal it is. Buying jewelry on time -- something about that feels so terribly wrong.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking although Rolls Royce probably also offers financing for their cars...
That did it! Now they are showing up on ER.org!!!

That did it! Now they are showing up on ER.org!!!

I figured when the OP said he's getting a bunch of ads, that he or someone on his computer probably searched for one or even just a watch. It's creepy how the adds pop up in anticipation of what you might like to buy.

:LOL:I'm seeing an ad for kitty litter. Don't have a cat, never had a cat, 100 percent dog person, never looked up cat anything. Google ads, you're killing me!

Well I'm seeing Samuel's Jewelers with some super fancy diamond ring.

Pretty cool! As for me, I've moved up in the world. Instead of Wal-Mart, I'm seeing an ad for Lowe's (building supplies). :banghead: :ROFLMAO: :2funny:

Oh wait! Now I have an ad for pre-owned watches. :D

I sport a Timex weekender, with cloth replaceable bands ... quite spiffy if I do say so myself.

I've never had any desire for things like Rolex watches or fancy jewelry. A couple of years ago I thought I would treat myself to a nice watch. I looked at Rolex and a bunch of other watches in the $3-$5K range, and I just couldn't get excited about any of them.

Then I passed by an Apple Store and thought I would take a look at the Apple Watch. After playing with it for ten minutes, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to spend $5K on a watch that can't do anything but tell you what time it is, when the Apple Watch can do so much more for a tenth of the price.

I get the fact that the Rolex is a fine piece of jewelry. Eh. What can I say. It just doesn't do anything for me.

For jewelry, next year I'm going to dive for black pearls in the South Pacific right out of my OWB, now that's expensive, and will have the story to tell my children, and grandchildren about it for many years to come.

Last edited:
In my quest to shed X pounds in advance of ERing, I bear a fitbit. In addition to counting distance and elevation traveled, it tells me the current time.

Ten thousand steps a day, with only 20 months and X-15 pounds to go!

I love Swatch watches. I have several and get do many compliments on them. I think the most expensive one was $60. I also like my Movado for something elegant.

Years ago I won an award at work that included a Movado watch. It sits in the drawer because paying a fortune for a battery that last only a year didn't sit well with me. My Timex weekender battery lasts for years...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom