Deluged with Rolex and Cartier advertisements...

For years I wore the simple watch that my Dad left me when he died. I loved it because the time face was easy to see. When it eventually bit the dust, I tried going without a watch, but missed it. I bought a nice Tissot which has been very reliable. I have never seen the attraction of very expensive watches which are targets for thieves when travelling.

Not on a fancy watch but my old company was fond of giving out cruises or trips as incentive prizes for meeting annual goals. An IRS audit revealed the company hadn't been reporting them as income, so the IRS audited everyone who won trips and we all had to pay up...

Yeah, I figured. I didn't see how it could not be treated as income.

Your best bet is to go to Turkey and get a Genuine Fake Watch.
3765914738_ed4ecee967_z.jpg

We have lots of jewelry and nice watches. However, I have to admit that Rolex watches have never appealed to me. Just not very stylish or elegant in my view. Now a classic Cartier tank? That's a beautiful watch.
DW has a Cartier from many years ago and the leather band rotted from the heat and humidity in PV. So we went to their store here in Vancouver and bought a lovely band for $230!

We normally buy our watches from a beach shack because they come with a lifetime guarantee including battery!

DW has a Cartier from many years ago and the leather band rotted from the heat and humidity in PV. So we went to their store here in Vancouver and bought a lovely band for $230!

We normally buy our watches from a beach shack because they come with a lifetime guarantee including battery!

Agree that the Cartier leather bands do wear with age. Really nice though. I guess if you have a Cartier you should be able to afford the band?

Yes it was a glimpse into how we used to live. Now our luxuries are for experiences, not things on our limbs! It was fun spending the time in the store though...

Your best bet is to go to Turkey and get a Genuine Fake Watch.

Hilarious!

Reminds me of my trips to China, going into the markets with folks trying to sell "Rolex" watches... I love to see their reaction when they want to sell me a "bargain" at $200 USD and I only offer $2. :)

Hilarious!

Reminds me of my trips to China, going into the markets with folks trying to sell "Rolex" watches... I love to see their reaction when they want to sell me a "bargain" at $200 USD and I only offer $2. :)

Our tour guide was good natured about it. He explained that these are genuine fakes, and therefore very good, unlike the fake fakes you find in China! And yes, he mentioned China. Although I'm betting these were from China too. :)

What "timing!":LOL: My $9 Walmart watch died TODAY after a couple of years of use. I suppose there is a way to replace the battery, but I never particularly liked the watch. It was sort of a silver-numbers-on-white face and it had fairly small numbers. It had date and day, but I could never get it set right for those features - even with the strongest magnifying glass I owned - to read the instructions. SO... Went to Walmart and bought an $8 watch which has - joy-of-joys - BIG black numerals on white face with no day/date, BUT with a second hand. I am quite happy with it so far.

Never owned an expensive watch and my phone is still a flip phone which means I have to take it out of my pocket and open it to see the time. So having a watch is important to me. I just can't see spending a lot on something that can be lost, stolen or damaged rather easily.

Having said that, I never fail to read the watch ads in the slick magazines at the doc's office (or other waiting area.) I find the ads so cool that I actually covet (for a few moments) the "Ultra-thin, titanium and gold, blah, blah, blah..." watch for ONLY $8905.00. It reminds me of a gourmet group DW and I used to belong to. After our third glass of wine, one guy would look through the bottles on the table and find one with a "classic" statement about the product inside. He would then read the "motto" (or whatever) on the label. He had a knack for making it sound like the most expensive, rare, fine wine ever produced. When he had finished, I would maybe ask "So what forest did the plastic cork come from?" or similar mood breaker. After 3 glasses of wine (before dinner, heh, heh) it was all quite hilarious - but maybe you had to be there.

Funny.

My Tag Heuer was a sales award for selling a newly announce mainframe within a given period of time.

I would not accept it until the company agreed to add some income in order to pay for the income tax that I would have to pay. The watch was not worth the 50 percent of tax that I would incur! Everyone else had the same issue so they stepped up and gave us the cash adder, plus money for the tax payable on the adder itself.

Still wearing it 17 years later.....keeps good time and so it should. My previous was a Certina. It lasted 35 years.

I figured when the OP said he's getting a bunch of ads, that he or someone on his computer probably searched for one or even just a watch. It's creepy how the adds pop up in anticipation of what you might like to buy.

I keep getting womens swimwear ads from LINKSHE on my laptop. No one uses it but me, and they sure as hell don't have a 'kini for a 6'5" 240 lbs. of ex- underground coal mining boss. I don't even take emails on this laptop.

About 30 years ago, my DF was finding all kinds of jewelry, knickknacks and all kinds of stuff in the weirdest places. He asked me one time if there was anything I might I'd want if I found it. I told him I wanted a Rolex, thinking it was pretty rare he should find one. About three years later, he handed me a box, and sure enough, it was a Rolex. I gushed and thanked him and gushed and thanked him before he told me it was a fake he bought for $30 bucks in NYC. I felt like a jerk.

Last edited:
I gushed and thanked him and gushed and thanked him before he told me it was a fake he bought for $30 bucks in NYC. I felt like a jerk.
I hope he did, too. Not a very funny joke. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom