Cell Phone Question

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got a new Apple 7 about a month ago and I had an Apple 5 which I just replaced because I have had it a longtime. The phone (5) worked fine when I got the new 7.

My question is if I broke/lost etc. my 7 could I take my old 5 back in and start using that old phone again??

My question is if I broke/lost etc. my 7 could I take my old 5 back in and start using that old phone again??
Sure, but Apple will have slowed it down for you.

While it still has some value, I would sell the 5.

Apple will give you a reasonable amount for it here.

Another good option is Sell Your Mac.

Or there's eBay.

Be sure to erase it first.

Apple stores and quick replacements are supposed to be one of the main benefits for holding their devices (if you live near one).

I'm android, and my older LG phone needed a send-it-in out of warranty repair. I'm Google FI. I had kept my pre-google older phone (motorola from republic). Fired it up, installed Google Hangouts to still use my number/text over Wifi, as well as pretty much anything else i need.

So, while I was on the powered up le olde back up, I was able to be 100% except on cell-only stuff since the phone couldn't be active on that carrier. If your old phone was previously on the same carrier, then you'd be in better shape than I was.
Maybe just double check with your carrier, but any old unlocked device should be able to go Wifi only, and presumably Hangouts either works on ios or has an equivalent to do so?

Thanks.
They pushed me pretty hard to buy a new phone so I did and yes it was getting slow and the battery didn't last very long at all. I think the lawsuit is for CA not sure how someone could be part of the lawsuit in a different state. LOL

I got a new Apple 7 about a month ago and I had an Apple 5 which I just replaced because I have had it a longtime. The phone (5) worked fine when I got the new 7.

Yes. I just did that. I needed a new line and used my wife's old iPhone 5. Worked just fine except for the fact that it is old and the battery was waning. The iPhone 5 was temporary and now I have an iPhone 6.

While it still has some value, I would sell the 5.

Apple will give you a reasonable amount for it here.

I don't think the iPhones have much value. I put mine in and it estimated $35. I think if you're going to trade in iPhones, you need to do so sooner rather than later. We let grandson use her iPhone 5 to play games (works on WiFi without a carrier - similar to an iPad. It was worth more to use it for that than trade it in at this point. And, as OP asked, yes, it will get you by in a pinch.

More specific, the $29 price is for iPhone 6 or later battery replacement.

That's kind of like if Honda charged to change the Takata airbags :(.

Last edited:
When you buy a new car, do you get tires for life when they wear down? No. Lithium batteries are not forever either. Better than your phone bricking every time you launched an app. Granted, Apple should have controlled the message, not someone else.

When you buy a car, the dealer also doesn't lock the tires so only they can replace them.

In other words, would be nice something like a battery could be user replaceable.

Last edited:
When you buy a car, the dealer also doesn't lock the tires so only they can replace them.

In other words, would be nice something like a battery could be user replaceable.

Exactly. Maybe this will put a chink in that armor. There's no reason to expect that a battery will last forever and holding the key to replacing it is disgusting. It is also indicative of the upgrade constantly mentality we have with electronics. Personally, I think a phone is like a computer in that with the exception of a battery change, it should last more than 5 years (assuming you don't drop or drown it).

All my phones have user replaceable batteries and user installable SD cards to increase memory storage.

But I'm not trapped in the Apple world..:greetings10:

We have a friend who knew how to take apart Iphones and he has replaced the batteries in my kids Iphones in the past - mostly 5 models. Bought the batteries online for about $7 and he put them in without any problems.

All my phones have user replaceable batteries and user installable SD cards to increase memory storage.

I'm not trapped in the Apple world either but was must venting (I guess) about a pet peeve.

Don't get me started on why aren't cordless phone batteries standard size like AAA or AA? :mad:

The fact that Apple doesn't include SD card slots so the user can install their own upgraded memory is enough for me to not buy their products. It's an artificial lock-in, and I don't like it. But of course, that's a personal decision, and there's pros/cons to any system, so it depends what's important to you.

I can almost, sort-of, kinda, be talked into some justification for a non-user-friendly battery replacement (the phone maybe can be made smaller, stronger, lighter, more water resistant). And if they will swap the battery for a reasonable fee (I think $29 was mentioned earlier), I can accept it, even if I don't like it.

Gotta agree with the earlier comment though that me cordless phones take a 3-cell battery pack - why not let me just pop in 3 AA NiMH cells (like eneloops)? Maybe because they think people will pop in alkalines which should not be charged?

-ERD50

Gotta agree with the earlier comment though that me cordless phones take a 3-cell battery pack - why not let me just pop in 3 AA NiMH cells (like eneloops)? Maybe because they think people will pop in alkalines which should not be charged?

-ERD50

I'd be willing to bet because there is monetary incentive of selling cordless phone batteries.

Back
Top Bottom