Do you find that your mind cant keep up with Inflation?

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday I took my sons ailing CRV into the dealer and discovered it needed nearly 2 grand of repairs. Yes, you read that right -2 grand. I knew it was bad when they hadn’t called by 4PM, so I called them. The Mrs and I had already discussed how much we would be willing to put into a car with 134,000 miles it. “Oh Mr RayinPenn we were just about to call you... “ Bottom line lots of suspension stuff and front brakes. I could have found a less expensive mechanic or just sold the car as is but, the old gal is a great cold weather dorm parking lot queen. Starts easily and is clean, has new tires, battery, now new front and rear brakes and all that other new front end stuff. Our dream goal is the car last to his graduation - he’s a junior. Probably 8,000-12,000 miles over the next 20 months. I hear CRVs have been known to do 200,000 miles.

Reality: two thousand dollars can and has been a bad day at the dentist. Still it is a shock to this old guys system. It’s not that we don’t see some big numbers in our lives. This semester Cool Hand’s ‘all in’ college cost will be roughly $25,000 and believe me I know that is quite a bargain but, still it 37 times what I paid. My first semester at college cost $230, almost a tenth of this repair. Books were always under $100. Now its easily $100 a book. Funny but that $230 was big money nearly 50 years ago.

We had the Nissan dealer quote suspension repairs and we took a pass. The next time we took it to our trusted mechanic and he said it did not need replacing just yet. 18 months later he repaired it for 40% of the dealers quote.

But I agree with the rampant inflation. The only saving grace is that there are many alternatives now that did not exist back then.

Had dinner with a niece last night, and we talked a little about college costs. A semester for me was under $500. Some of the numbers being thrown out for her buddies were not pretty.

The VWs I drove were under $500 at the time.

I would take the car to someone other than a dealer, in most cases you can do better. But 2 grand ain't what it used to be! There will likely be a payoff for you down the road.

The problem with old car is it remains an old car no matter how much you spend on repairs.

Yep, my first year of college, tuition, books, dorm, etc was $1500. I had saved $5000 for my college costs. Didn't quite have enough to finish, so left for about 2 years and worked. Got married in the meantime. Finally went back and finished when we had saved the money again.

We have found dealer repair shop are always higher than our local mechanic.

Keep the CRV. I bought one years ago, It had 80K at the time. I drove it past 190K. When I traded it in, it was still mechanically solid and trouble free. I loved the all wheel drive, the included "picnic table," and the fairly useless (but better than nothing) cooler.

Reality: two thousand dollars can and has been a bad day at the dentist. Still it is a shock to this old guys system.

Compare the $2000 to the payments for a new vehicle, even a late model used one. After 4-6 months, the $2000 will seem to be a bargain. Also , remember a newer vehicle (assuming you replace it with a newer one) will probably mean higher insurance rates, and higher tag fees. And more depreciation for the next few years.

You essentially own a vehicle whose depreciation is minimal. Not bad.

Home repairs. Getting new roof and siding quotes.

My head is spinning.

Inflation does sneak up on you.
I wasn't paying attention at the grocery store and handed the young lady a $20 when checking out. I mean how could grabbing a couple things cost more than $20? I had to fish out two more twenties and a five.
$2k for brakes and suspension ? What suspension parts were bad?

If you like sticker shock, the dealer is a good place to go. We have a friend who operates an independent shop and he takes very good care of us. He looks for ways to save money and he recommends only repairs that are actually needed. We consider ourselves to be extremely lucky to have him.

I struggle with the new costs of certain items, too. That said, I'd get a second opinion on the suspension and brake work at a trusted independent mechanic. Especially the suspension work may be discretionary. And brake work is often inflated. You can buy the parts for peanuts at a place like Rock Auto and the labor is not that great to justify the costs.

$2000 is cheap compared to having to get a new car. But as other have s aid, it is worth getting a second opinion.

When DW scraped her car along a guardrail, we were quoted over $6000 to repair it. The frame was fine, engine compartment was fine, but front bumper, headlight, quarter panel, and door all sustained damage. The shop also told us that is we submitted a claim, due to the age of the car (a 2011) its value was just a couple of thousand higher and the insurance company would likely label the car totaled.

Fortunately through our social circles a friend who used to be a collision repair mechanic but still did that work on weekends to pick up a few extra bucks took a look and said $6000 is crazy, I can get the parts for less and can do it all for $1500, including repainting. We took him up of the offer since the car has low mileage (60K) and DW loves it. He worked in it over 2 weekends and the car looks like new.

I definitely a natural introvert, but I have learned it is great to make friends with folks who have skills. :)

My brand new 2019 Chevy Impala was 45 grand out the door.

travelover;2291605 I'd get a second opinion on the suspension and brake work at a trusted independent mechanic. Especially the suspension work may be discretionary. And brake work is often inflated. You can buy the parts for peanuts at a place like Rock Auto and the labor is not that great to justify the costs.[/QUOTE said:
+1. Two grand sounds way high for suspension and brakes. I definitely would have taken it to an independent mechanic before I'd pay 2 grand to a dealer for that. Also, it seems to me that if the suspension was that bad on the car, you or your son would have noticed it before the latest issue. You may have been able to go another year or two easily before having suspension work done.

My jeanie wants an Lamborghini... we can afford the low end @200K, but with annual mileage @ 1000, the cost comes to $200/mile. Trying to convince her to go for a Lincoln @ 46K. We'll see... She doesn't care much for the color selection. :)

Told her...Decide now... prices may be going up.

Yeah, DW just dropped 50k on a jeep Wrangler. That's factory not modified.

Home repairs. Getting new roof and siding quotes.

My head is spinning.

Joe had my roof done perhaps 2 years ago- possibly most stressful experience of my life.. check bb and at least 3 recent references

Was it suspension stuff, such as new struts? Or related to steering parts that would not pass a PA inspection? If struts are leaking, I believe they won't pass a PA inspection either.

Almost three years ago, my son picked up a 2011 Escape (65K miles) for $6K but had to immediately put in $2K for it to pass the PA inspection. But around here, AWD vehicles go for a premium, something to do with the lake effect snows we are prone to get ( like 50+ inches around Christmas 2017.

I would guess that the parts are less than $200 at the auto parts store. Brakes are easy. new rotors and pads are only $100 and easy to put in.

See what it actually takes before you pay. You may find that saving/making $100 an hour is easy.

This semester Cool Hand’s ‘all in’ college cost will be roughly $25,000 and believe me I know that is quite a bargain but, still it 37 times what I paid. My first semester at college cost $230, almost a tenth of this repair. Books were always under $100. Now its easily $100 a book. Funny but that $230 was big money nearly 50 years ago.

Wow, is that $25K for the year or semester? Fortunately, my senior chose a reasonably priced school--Penn State Behrend campus where it costs around 10K per semester, and he lives at home. And gets tasked with providing all IT support for family. His brother's college computer died so he shopped a $320 laptop and, from his bucket of spare parts, added memory and hard drive to get his brother going again. Now to see if he can resurrect his brother's old laptop for dear dad. Nice to have emergency IT support in-house.
His brother goes to a state school that costs about $10K per semester with the R&B included.

Dog Food! Our border collie is 11 years old. His food has gone from $17 a bag, to $21. Same brand, same size. Well I think same size may even be a pound lighter!

Inflation yes... Just bought another Jeep ~2 weeks ago. Window sticker was over 97k.

1)Ok ill have a list of all that was replaced Wednesday or Thursday ill post
2)$25k. Per year.. room and board is 1/2 of that

No doubt the dealer is expensive but i have never had a problem with their work.

Back
Top Bottom