Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker

I know someone that works at an Amazon warehouse. He said that was the most shipped item by far yesterday. He said he personally boxed up quite a few.

I know someone that works at an Amazon warehouse. He said that was the most shipped item by far yesterday. He said he personally boxed up quite a few.

Maybe people are reading this article:

Why Anything Slow Cookers Can Do, Others Can Do Better | Serious Eats

The slow cooker version paled in comparison—quite literally. Not only did it have inferior flavor due to inferior browning, but because of the temperature differences, it also didn't thicken properly, remaining sludgy and thin, as opposed to the rich, glossy texture of the sauce that a Dutch oven or pressure cooker achieves.

I got my 6 qt from E-Bay for $86.50 including shipping, but there are now some new ones for $79.95 buy-it-now with free shipping. There are also a few being bid up....could be a good deal.

I received mine in 3 days....very prompt shipping.

Well - the first attempt came out really great. This is a recipe I hadn't tried before, so I didn't have another cooking technique to compare it to. But it was exactly what I wanted - tender pork chunks swimming in a very flavorful tomatillo and chile sauce.

One odd thing: In manual mode the 30 min countdown timer started about 10 mins before the pot had come all the way to pressure. I decided to wait until it was all done to see if more cooking was needed, and when I opened the pot, the pork was perfect - just starting to fall apart, so the end result was fine. From what I read this doesn't make sense, but I did find one other person report it happening rarely.

I had tested the pot with the water heating thing the day before - steam mode. And with that mode the counter didn't start until the pressure valve had closed. It operated exactly as expected.

Attached is my adaptation of Pressure Cooker Chili Verde (Green Pork Chili) - Dad Cooks Dinner that I call Pork en Salsa Verde. (Excuse my Spanglish that is quite typical for where I live). I was more interested in a pork stew in tomatillo sauce, with a little bit of green chiles in there, but not as a dominant flavor, so it's quite different from the New Mexico/Colorado version, but closer to what I've had a few places in the Valley and a restaurant chain in my Dad's home town. I think the 16oz jar of Herdez Salsa Verde (Mild) really made it, as well as how beautifully the pork chunks were done. DH declared it to be outstanding, but maybe to reduce the salt a wee bit.

Attachments

• Pork en Salsa Verde.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Well - the first attempt came out really great. This is a recipe I hadn't tried before, so I didn't have another cooking technique to compare it to. But it was exactly what I wanted - tender pork chunks swimming in a very flavorful tomatillo and chile sauce.

One odd thing: In manual mode the 30 min countdown timer started about 10 mins before the pot had come all the way to pressure. I decided to wait until it was all done to see if more cooking was needed, and when I opened the pot, the pork was perfect - just starting to fall apart, so the end result was fine. From what I read this doesn't make sense, but I did find one other person report it happening rarely.

I had tested the pot with the water heating thing the day before - steam mode. And with that mode the counter didn't start until the pressure valve had closed. It operated exactly as expected.

Attached is my adaptation of Pressure Cooker Chili Verde (Green Pork Chili) - Dad Cooks Dinner that I call Pork en Salsa Verde. (Excuse my Spanglish that is quite typical for where I live). I was more interested in a pork stew in tomatillo sauce, with a little bit of green chiles in there, but not as a dominant flavor, so it's quite different from the New Mexico/Colorado version, but closer to what I've had a few places in the Valley and a restaurant chain in my Dad's home town. I think the 16oz jar of Herdez Salsa Verde (Mild) really made it, as well as how beautifully the pork chunks were done. DH declared it to be outstanding, but maybe to reduce the salt a wee bit.
Thanks Audry,

I just got my Instant Pot last night. Your recipe sounds like a good one to start with!

Looks good, except for the salt - low sodium diet here. Bonus is pork shoulder is on sale.

It's tamale season. The fillings can be made in the PC but can the finished tamales be cooked in it?

Looks good, except for the salt - low sodium diet here. Bonus is pork shoulder is on sale.

It's tamale season. The fillings can be made in the PC but can the finished tamales be cooked in it?
For low sodium - you probably need to make your own tomatillo salso. The original recipe at dadcooksdinner.com gives instructions for this.

Finished tamales just need steaming, so I don't see why not. Place in some kind of steamer basket inside the pot I guess.

Looked at the label at the grocery store. 270 mg of sodium in two tablespoons. Not going there. Everything is better home made anyway.

Looked at the label at the grocery store. 270 mg of sodium in two tablespoons. Not going there. Everything is better home made anyway.

Most things in jars are sodium bombs.

I picked up the tomatillas and chilles at the grocery store today. Maybe good for a Sunday game.

Well, ok, I will will try it with fresh tomatillos sometime soon. DH would probably like that.

With my BP normally 100/70 I don't worry about sodium in food much. But then again I do fix most things from scratch.

I got my Instant Pot a couple of days ago. Decided to do something easy and I had some carrots around. Well, me being a complete beginner at this cooking thing and all the late DW's cooking stuff in storage, I came to a quick roadblock. It seems I need a veggie steamer. I ordered "The Instant Pot® Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook" but it is on back order. Amazon did let me download a Kindle version for $.99. I looked in there and the first veggie dish just said to use the steamer blossom side up. There was no help on what best to purchase. I assume it should be metal. Can anyone clue me in as to what size, etc. would work best?

I got my Instant Pot a couple of days ago. Decided to do something easy and I had some carrots around. Well, me being a complete beginner at this cooking thing and all the late DW's cooking stuff in storage, I came to a quick roadblock. It seems I need a veggie steamer. I ordered "The Instant Pot® Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook" but it is on back order. Amazon did let me download a Kindle version for $.99. I looked in there and the first veggie dish just said to use the steamer blossom side up. There was no help on what best to purchase. I assume it should be metal. Can anyone clue me in as to what size, etc. would work best?

This seems like a pretty good write up on what you should consider. Note that they say a colander could be used.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-accessory-steamer-basket/

ETA: I googled pressure cooker recipes and there's a bunch of stuff out there. Also found some videos that are helpful.

I did make three minute steel cut Oatmeal this morning. Even with the start up and cooling down I had the best oats at altitude ever.

Last edited:
Well, they call it a steam rack, and it works fine depending on what you're steaming. For example, I like to steam asparagus, and I just lay the stalks across the rack. Many things can be steamed effectively that way.

But I suppose it all depends on the quantities involved.

You can use a metal steamer basket or small colander to hold your carrots, etc and even the silicone items also. I believe any metal pan that fits inside can be used since many people make cheese cakes in them in their IP. Glass pans can be used also, but you might need to set them on the rack that came with the IP. I'm not sure about that, or whether you can put them directly on the metal pan bottom.

There is a Facebook group for the Instant Pot with lots of tips and recipes.

This seems like a pretty good write up on what you should consider. Note that they say a colander could be used.

Pressure Cooker Accessory: Steamer Basket • hip pressure cooking

ETA: I googled pressure cooker recipes and there's a bunch of stuff out there. Also found some videos that are helpful.

I did make three minute steel cut Oatmeal this morning. Even with the start up and cooling down I had the best oats at altitude ever.

That had the info I was looking for. One that opens to the size of the pot is what I will get. That will probably be 8 inches which is just a bit smaller than the pot. Amazon shows one that opens to 9 1/2 inches. It even shows it often purchased with an Instant Pot! Gee, considering I just bought an Instant Pot, I wonder how that happened? :LOL:

I've had an Instant Pot (IP) for 11 months now and still love it. I'm the kind of guy that has limited cooking skills and prefers quick and easy. I use the IP frequently to cook 3 or 4 lb of chicken breast tenders, which I then freeze and use later in small portions.

Here are a few things I've figured out:

1. To cook rice for one, I bought a stainless steel bowl that will fit inside the pot. Water to make the IP work goes in the pot and water for the rice to absorb goes in the bowl with the rice. Works great, and stickiness from the rice is confined to the bowl rather than the whole pot.

2. Be careful about amateur author Kindle books for the Instant Pot. Electronic pressure cookers take longer (20%?) to cook than the old stove top cookers, so the recipe times should be different. I have looked at many of the free amateur written Kindle IP books that are specifically titled as being recipes for the IP. A few are worth their free cost, but I also saw quite a few that were cut and pasted recipes for stove top pressure cookers. You figure it out when the recipe directions include "turn down the heat some", "remove from the stove" or my favorite "put cooker in the sink and run cold water over the top".

3. The IP can cook perfect hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel. I sit them on the metal grill insert for cooking. After cooking I put the eggs in a pan filled with icy water until they are cool (I use water and a reusable ice pack). The eggs are so easy to peel that the shell usually comes off in 2 pieces.

Last edited:
The replacement Instant Pot showed up on the front porch today and it passed the "boil water" initial test. Other than some potatoes we don't really have anything ready to cook in it but I'll get something tomorrow.

I'm not really into cooking but it looks like this thing will simplify and speed up some dishes like stews that I normally do in a crock pot.

With all the encouragement from here, I bought the Insta-Pot off Amazon a few days ago. Have not tried it yet. I happened to see what looked like maybe a Hamilton Beach version at Walmart today for $59 also.

I made this from scratch today. Pretty amazing! Took longer to prepare than I thought but that's just me. I made the recipe pretty much as written except I know I was light on the salt (we eat low sodium) and maybe a few less peppers. We didn't need as much salsa as the recipe made, or perhaps the chille could be thickened a little but for the first attempt it was a 10!

I had a can of Herdez and opened it, tasted the salt, and pitched it. Again we eat low sodium so our taste may be funny. The homemade salsa was bright and fresh tasting, the canned was sodium laden with no fresh tastes. We will eat this again! Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
Yes - I'm going to try it with fresh tomatillos next time. And I might use roasted poblanos since that is what we have here in abundance. Sometimes they are mild, sometimes they are pretty hot.

I may add some canned pozole (hominy) too as I think that goes really well in a pork stew.

Back
Top Bottom