What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went to my dentist and had impressions done, for the two crowns that I need. My two implants were successful so it's time to get crowns to cover each of them.

Somebody (here? on another forum?) mentioned that they were reluctant to have an implant done because it was not any fun at all to have the impressions done. I hadn't remembered any problems with impressions for prior implants, but after today I have to agree. This is the first time I have had two done at once, since I have new implants on the lower left and lower right, both ready for crowns.

The dentist's assistant messed up the first two tries at the lower impressions, and the second time I almost couldn't breathe and I couldn't help making scary loud guttural drowning noises as I tried to keep the goo from descending into my lungs without moving my teeth. And then after all that, the impression was no good. So my dentist did it and it was much less uncomfortable and it came out right the third time. He also did the upper teeth. His assistant is nice but does not have a clue.

I love my implants and I am glad to have them, but I sure feel like I earned these two after today. I don't like that sensation of drowning one bit, and it freaked me out enough to even upset my stomach. I think I will stay home for the rest of the day and calm down. Retirement is so nice, because I can do that.

I take a Xanax or two before these types of things. I can get through a cleaning but Man, as soon as impressions, crowns, novacain and fillings are needed I'm a psycho.

Hung out with the grandkids yesterday. Then made them lamb loin chops on the grill. They sucked the bones clean. :)

Went with DH to see a cardiac surgeon about a suspected thoracic aortic aneurysm found in early February and re-imaged last month. His opinion after looking at the CT scans--not an aneurysm, a smaller "dilation" that he does not expect to become a problem, to be followed with an annual echocardiogram. Life is good. No meds, no changes to our routines.

Went with DH to see a cardiac surgeon about a suspected thoracic aortic aneurysm found in early February and re-imaged last month. His opinion after looking at the CT scans--not an aneurysm, a smaller "dilation" that he does not expect to become a problem, to be followed with an annual echocardiogram. Life is good. No meds, no changes to our routines.

BTDT......great news!!

Excellent! Yes life is good. Full steam ahead.

Paid a visit to an ophthalmologist this morning to check out the recurring discomfort in my left eye. Turns out the case of shingles I had a few months back and the associated Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome resulted in what could be some long-term complications. The disease impaired some nerves resulting in partial paralysis on the far left corner of the eyelid. That causes the lid to blink improperly and allow bacteria to build up in the corner of the eye resulting in an infection.

Meds should cure the infection but it may be something I'm susceptible to unless the eyelid movement improves - which it may or may not.

See my second sig line...

Paid a visit to an ophthalmologist this morning to check out the recurring discomfort in my left eye. Turns out the case of shingles I had a few months back and the associated Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome resulted in what could be some long-term complications. The disease impaired some nerves resulting in partial paralysis on the far left corner of the eyelid. That causes the lid to blink improperly and allow bacteria to build up in the corner of the eye resulting in an infection.

Meds should cure the infection but it may be something I'm susceptible to unless the eyelid movement improves - which it may or may not.

See my second sig line...
Nothing good about this whole scenario......I don't have the corneal reflex problem, (yet..... fingers crossed), but my eye doctor, whom I see again this Friday afternoon, says my shingles related condition "Could be ongoing".....'ongoing' for how long, ¿Quién sabe?

Finished building and installing a barn door between our bedroom and bath. Now DW just needs to find a handle for it.

Attachments

• barndoor-5125.jpg
    barndoor-5125.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 42
Last night we went to a concert in a park with a local band. Today's main event was a visit to Blake Garden, which is in Kensington near the Berkeley hills, and has pretty views of the bay and San Francisco below. We like going there because they allow dogs. It must have had good scent trails as well as views and flowers because our dog did not want to leave, and his only criteria for outings are good places to sniff and mark.

Last edited:
Angel Flight

We flew one of our regular passengers from Santa Monica to Paso Robles CA. As we were about to leave the airport, she called an told us she lost her wallet with he DL,CC, etc.
We checked the plane and fortunately found it. I am mailing it back to her today.

Today we took the roadster out and drove the back roads to Essex, CT. We ate lunch at the Griswold Inn, the oldest continuously operating inn in the US. Then we visited the Connecticut River Museum down the block, followed by some window shopping. On the way home, we stopped and picked peaches, which the young wife will make into a pie tomorrow morning. We're planning to relax this evening with some cold antipasti and a bottle of prosecco.

Nothing good about this whole scenario......I don't have the corneal reflex problem, (yet..... fingers crossed), but my eye doctor, whom I see again this Friday afternoon, says my shingles related condition "Could be ongoing".....'ongoing' for how long, ¿Quién sabe?

Saw the ophthalmologist yesterday.....seems the condition, while not being majorly improved, is fairly stable......continue the drops, and see him again in October.....before our next jaunt.

Installed a fancy LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) battery in my motorhome. Due to its length, I could fit only one in the bay where 2 marine batteries used to sit.

Much less weight. 34 lbs vs. 46 lbs x 2 = 92 lbs. The battery box already shows fracture at the weld joints due to poor workmanship, and this alleviates my fear of dropping the batteries on the road.

This battery is rated at 100Ah, and even when not in fully charged state it was able to carry the microwave oven through the 2kW inverter, while the 2 marine batteries could not.

In case you wonder why it was not fully charged, it was because the solar charger controller was not set up to charge it properly, and cut out too soon. I just ordered a tool to connect a PC to the charger controller to reprogram the charging set points to suit the new battery characteristics.

Last edited:
Installed a fancy LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) battery in my motorhome. Due to its length, I could fit only one in the bay where 2 marine batteries used to sit................

How deeply can you discharge this battery without damaging it? I know for lead acid batteries the rule of thumb is 50%

I spent part of the afternoon with a machinist's vise, a set of calipers, and my Swiss needle files.
I had to modify a new skeleton key to the same dimensions as the old one to have as a spare. The key was for an ATSF caboose, so I could have access to it.
I volunteer on a tourist railroad, and we sell caboose rides.

Attachments

• rsz_2fullsizerender.jpg
    rsz_2fullsizerender.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 39
  • caboose.JPG
    caboose.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 43
How deeply can you discharge this battery without damaging it? I know for lead acid batteries the rule of thumb is 50%

Typically, manufacturers claim you can discharge down to 20%, even 10% and the battery will go through 2000 cycles before getting down to 80% of its original capacity.

One manufacturer shows a test result where his battery lost only 20% after 2000 cycles of 100% DoD. 100% DoD here means the battery discharging is cut out when the battery voltage is down to 3V/cell.

LiFePO4 is different than the more common lithium battery. Each cell is 3.2V nominal instead of 3.6V like the usual lithium-ion type used in cell phones, hand tools, etc... So, a 4-cell battery is 12.8V nominal, 12V min for longevity and 14.6V max for non-destruction, and that makes LFP roughly compatible with lead-acid types.

And the LFP type has huge current capacity. Continuous charging and discharging at 3C is OK. This means a 100Ah battery can be charged and discharged at 300A. I don't know if this will shorten its life, but at least they won't blow up or overheat. I certainly will not stress my battery like this.

Last edited:
LiFePO4 is so far ahead of lead acid for energy storage it's not even comparable. Makes electric bicycles possible and I've built a few.

Safe too not like lithium polymer. Expensive, but worth it.

Yes, even though it is safer than other lithium types, it is about twice as expensive. I have not seen any car maker using it. Not even Tesla can afford it.

Last edited:
Typically, manufacturers claim you can discharge down to 20%, even 10% and the battery will go through 2000 cycles before getting down to 80% of its original capacity.............
That is a significant advantage over lead acid, tipping the usable amp hours per pound ratio. Now if the price would only plummet like solar panels. :D

It may take a while. I remember that in 2000 solar panels cost $5/W, which is $7.25 in today's dollar.

I just saw some new solar panels with some blemishes offered for $0.40/W. Prime panels go for $1/W.

With time, lithium battery manufacturing cost will go down. At some price point, it will be cheap enough ($200?) to become common for use as the starting battery for ICE's.

Lithium batteries cannot be under the hood due to high temperature (has to be < 150F), and they do not do well in subfreezing weather either. But if they are safe enough, can be located inside the car. My son's Audi lead-acid battery is located in the rear trunk, and I wonder if they do that to make the battery last longer.

I spent part of the afternoon with a machinist's vise, a set of calipers, and my Swiss needle files.
I had to modify a new skeleton key to the same dimensions as the old one to have as a spare. The key was for an ATSF caboose, so I could have access to it.
I volunteer on a tourist railroad, and we sell caboose rides.

No wonder that key looked familiar. My dad worked for the Santa Fe for most of his whole life and the same style of keys were always around.

I can attest to the lead acid batteries not taking a full discharge. I had a problem with my Jeep where the battery would be dead after two days unless I drove to town and back. The first thing that was done was a battery replacement. After another three months of repeatedly charging the battery I got the original problem fixed. I had to also replace the new battery because the first one was no longer any good. BTW, the Chrysler dealership was totally useless on this problem. After working on the Jeep for two days while I waited in their waiting room, they were still clueless. :facepalm: I found a sharp young mechanic who laid out a reasonable troubleshooting plan for me and he got it fixed.

Yesterday: played golf, cleaned the kitchen, read a book, went to the opera.
This morning: baked brownies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom