2021 Investment Performance Thread

2021 End of Year

The overall portfolio increased 9.60% in Total Balance.

The performance was 12.01% on a 50/50 target portfolio.

RLBGX, a managed 50/50 fund had total return of 16.11%.
VTSAX/VBTLX in equal portions had a total return of 12.02%.

2022 will be a great year!

After retiring I had actually gradually moved from 40% close to 30% equities, but lower than expected spending, an unexpected larger inheritance, and the pandemic showed me that even at the worst of the market in 2020 it was not impacting my retirement life, so I started moving back to a higher stock allocation and letting it creep up as well. I likely will continue this into 2022, as we still have lots of cash on hand that we will not spend and cannot stuff into I Bonds :).

Doncha just LOVE having 1st world problems? Knowing what I know now, I just might have retired earlier. Too bad I was still enjoying what I was doing (another 1st world "problem" I guess.) Aloha

+13.74% About 55/45.

I'm happy.

Last edited:
Final numbers all in. 26.5% net worth increase with fixed assets (house etc.) at cost.

Into blow that dough phase and doing a crappy job so far.

Final numbers all in. 26.5% net worth increase with fixed assets (house etc.) at cost.

LOL, c'mon, I'm sure you can improve in BTD area....you're not trying hard enough! Let me know if I can help :LOL:

Congrats!

The Barnfellow household recorded a 22.8% performance increase in financial assets during the 2021.

We fully expect to give back a fair portion of those gains during 2022. Così è la vita.

-BB

I think we should ask RobbieB to hold a BTD seminar for us underachiever-oversavers. YMMV

A little late to the party, but pleased to report a 12.3% gain on a 2/3 equity portfolio. I realized after running the numbers that the % is really a little higher because there's literally a "check in the mail" that didn't get counted (from a December pull from a tIRA). Oh, well. This is close enough.

The US large caps killed it this year, but I've got about half international and even my domestic, half is outside of the large cap sector. The real test will be how "less bad" some of us do when the crash comes :facepalm:

But in the mean time, it's party time. Gave away more money to the kids this year, while the gettin' was good. I haven't closed the books on 2021 expenses (usually wait for one CC cycle), but preliminarily it looks like the withdrawal rate, not including income tax, but including the all-family vacation and cash gifts was 3.8% of the start of year portfolio balance. That includes capital improvements on the house, which I'll probably see when I sell the place, so not really "out the door" expense there, but included none the less. Also this year's expenses have double real-estate taxes (paid early with CC to get signup bonus). I left the income tax off the withdrawal rate calculation because I went wild with the Roth conversions this year due to the ACA cliff turning into a ramp.

My equities finished out the year up 24.2%. My Muni bonds did about 3.

^^^ Robbie will not bother with shopping for a trawler anymore.

Not when he can afford a yacht like this for around $200K.

The Web page where I lift the link to this photo says this Carver is practically a condo on the water. That makes it really cheap, because you can then sell your home and live onboard this boat. You actually save money with this boat.

Makes me want one, even though I know nothing about boats. I have not owned even a kayak.

Carver-500-504.jpg

Or maybe this one.

Carver-444-for-sale.jpg

Last edited:
BLS reported CPI-U for all items (less food and energy) as 5.5% in 2021. Helps to determine your real return.

Our ROTH account gained 19.8%, largely equities. Our Traditional IRA came in at 6.44%, mostly bonds, but a handful of equities. Across the two, its roughly a 50/50 balanced portfolio.

17.38%

Essentially 65/35 allocation during the year. Moving down a little now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom