2024 Investment Performance Thread

+8.67% YTD on $1.64 million:
  • 16% Bitcoin, Fidelity Bitcoin ETF, and Bitcoin industry stocks
  • 42% stock index funds
  • 42% bond index funds and cash
58 and 61 years old, semi-retired

YTD 4.11%.

Still being hurt big time from Apple, but finally hit an all-time new high.
March 2024 results:
January: -0.2%
February: +0.7%
March: +1.7%
YTD: +2.2%
YoY: +8.1%
Since 12/31/22: +13.5%
Since high [12/31/21]: NEW HIGH, +0.0% (ha ha not many actual $)
Since 12/31/20: +11.8%
Since 12/31/19: +27.2%

Given that I am too conservatively invested, have Apple issues (this year), and cash flow negative (temporarily I hope), I am pleased that I've finally been able to eek out a new high.
Preliminary (good enough to report) results:
January: -0.2%
February: +0.7%
March: +1.7%
April: -1.2%
YTD: +1.0%
YoY: +6.1%
Since 12/31/22: +12.1%
Since 12/31/21: -1.2%
Since 12/31/20: +10.5%
Since 12/31/19: +25.0%

-5..7% for April
+7..14% ytd
AA 90/10

Thats impressive. Can you share what your AA is and what you're invested in?
ABBV
BAC
BTI
CEG
DIS
EXC
LLY
MO
NGG
O
PEP
PG
WFC

LLY is 49% of portfolio due to 2120% return. Purchased in 2012 at 34.95.

2024 YTD +18.9%, all stocks.

This doesn't include any real estate investments.

NW up 4.5% YTD with contributions...been spending like a drunken sailor though.

2.17% YTD on 64/32/4 S/B/C AA.
On advice of Vanguard advisor, 5 years ago I diversified portfolio from 69/25/6 with about 6% foreign stocks and bonds to above allocation with 25% foreign and have gone from up +17% lifetime advantage vs S&P500 to -11%.
Now I am lashing myself to the mast to avoid overweighting the Magnificent 7.

Portfolio is +3.3% YTD, 64/32/4 S/B/C AA - and spending 100%+ of taxable dividends and interest.

I ran my numbers yesterday morning, but forgot to post. Well, April was a bit of a mess, wasn't it?

1/31/2024: +0.78% YTD.
2/29/2024: +4.67% YTD.
3/28/2024: +7.33% YTD.
4/30/2024: +4.36% YTD.

So basically, April's loss canceled out March's gain, and then a bit more.

ABBV
BAC
BTI
CEG
DIS
EXC
LLY
MO
NGG
O
PEP
PG
WFC

LLY is 49% of portfolio due to 2120% return. Purchased in 2012 at 34.95.

2024 YTD +18.9%, all stocks.

This doesn't include any real estate investments.
Congrats on the monster return with LLY. Whats more impressive is that you held it all this time. I just do ETFs because I'm sure i would sell winners too early and the anguish of deciding what to do would really mess with my serenity which is what I cherish these days.

Our Schwab portfolio has moved more conservative to an AA of 55/45, equity/fixed income, versus 65/35 for 2023

YTD +1.14% ending January
YTD +4.50% ending February
YTD +6.41% ending March
YTD +3.27% ending April

Jan '24 : +1.35%
Feb '24: +5.1% unfortunately trailing the SP500 with my massive position in AAPL and the bit of a hit that's taken. 100% equities, ~66% Magnificent 7, 34% AAPL
Mar' 24 +5%. Flat month with AAPL dragging me down. People warned me not to be so exposed to one equity, but here I am. It's treated me well in the past.
Apr' 24 +1.25% AAPL was 40% of my portfolio, with the pull back it went to 32% eeeek, or Whee!

On the bright side, I am back to 5.6% YTD after the Thursday and Friday AAPL earnings rally! Yeah baby!

Yes, but it's a constant source of frustration.
It's a two-step process, and requires constant tweaking. I have a browser plug-in that saves the page as you see it (using the DOM). I also have a plug-in that enters my passwords. Then I drive the browser with a scripting scheme that uses image matching, which gets me to the holdings screen, at which point I save the page. The second step is a program that parses the HTML files saved above and makes a single CSV file that has all positions across all investment and banking sites. It's a hobby.
Our resident ZeroCool from the movie "Hackers," lol. I used to have a selenium web driver script that could snag all my data after some logins...but since the advent and force of MFA, I can't seem to find a sensible way around it. Would be nice to get an API Auth token and pull the data with an API request.

Hopefully a quick, non-controversial question: are the number posted here the portfolio value net of withdrawals? That's an easy number to get, but of course is impacted by how much I take from it (Take nothing and it will be only investment performance. Take a lot and investment performance may not matter much). On the other hand, not even sure I can take out the impact of withdrawals anyway...

Our resident ZeroCool from the movie "Hackers," lol. I used to have a selenium web driver script that could snag all my data after some logins...but since the advent and force of MFA, I can't seem to find a sensible way around it. Would be nice to get an API Auth token and pull the data with an API request.
Yes, I have not set up multi factor, or it wouldn't work. But I do use Selenium. I've said it before...all financial custodians should be required by law to provide machine readable statements (not simply machine printable) without having to trust a third party.

Away from the desktop on 4/30, so I don't have a comparable number to post in this thread (my process gives me the sum on the day I run it).

Hopefully a quick, non-controversial question: are the number posted here the portfolio value net of withdrawals? That's an easy number to get, but of course is impacted by how much I take from it (Take nothing and it will be only investment performance. Take a lot and investment performance may not matter much). On the other hand, not even sure I can take out the impact of withdrawals anyway...
Most folks post their investment performance gross without including withdrawals. A few do include it, but usually indicate as such.

Withdrawals or additions are not supposed to be included in the performance calculation. There are various ways to calculate this. For me it’s easy because I only withdraw annually on Jan 1 and my calcs compare the portfolio value after that withdrawal.

I use the Excel XIRR function and, yes, it does include both withdrawals and additions. I am currently at 5.0% with 65% equities and 35% fixed income.

YTD performance (minus contributions):

- Investments = 20%
- Net Worth = 16%

Now at 78% of FI target. Project hitting that goal early 2025 at this point.

YTD performance on a NW of 1.5 million
CRYPTO: (30%)
BTC/ETH/SOL/NOS = 198%

RETIREMENT (33%)
FBTC = 25%
TSLA = 5%
TSP = 7.5%
C&G Funds

TAXABLE (28.8%)
VTI = 38%

CASH: (7.3%)
VMFXX = 1.76%

Income: 300K per year (Military Pension/Part Time + AD DW)
Investments only reflect my account and not wife. She is primarily TSP and Savings.

Last edited:
YTD performance on a NW of 1.5 million
CRYPTO: (30%)
BTC/ETH/SOL/NOS = 198%

RETIREMENT (33%)
FBTC = 25%
TSLA = 5%
TSP = 7.5%
C&G Funds

TAXABLE (28.8%)
VTI = 38%

CASH: (7.3%)
VMFXX = 1.76%

Income: 300K per year (Military Pension/Part Time + AD DW)
Investments only reflect my account and not wife. She is primarily TSP and Savings.
That’s a heavy crypto tilt. How’s your VTI up 38%?

Back
Top Bottom