A "man" question

I have 4 mounted on walls. I installed 3 into wall units using brackets that I built myself. These are all stationary and are very sturdy. My exercise room tv is on a swivel mount and seems less sturdy, but can easily be adjusted.

Like others have said - mounting to studs is the only way to go. You should be able to find a bracket listed for the weight of your tv, and then lag bolt the bracket to the wall. Some brackets are 2 piece. One attaches to the wall. One attaches to the tv, and then you hang the tv and its mount on the wall mount. Very simple and sturdy.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the stand. Contrary to the OP, my mother would have figured this one out in a flash but my father wouldn't.

Input from a woman here...

I also have a 60" HDTV that I originally had thought to mount on the wall but changed my mind when it was delivered. I think it is the perfect size for my den off the kitchen as I can watch the TV while preparing a meal.

It sits on the old TV stand which was purchased with my previous Sony Trinitron and it extends about 6 inches on either side of the stand but seems quite stable. Not ideal, but I don't have small children to worry about. I have been trying to find a mid-century modern credenza large enough to hold the TV with a little space on either side, but have not located one so far. I have been eyeing up a new retro-looking media stand from the Design Within Reach website, but I am hoping for a sale with free delivery before I consider springing for something like that.

I actually have a bit of experience locating studs and can handle that part .......

And I've never had any complaints that it's "too big"...

BOT, for ergonomic reasons, best to mount the thing near eye level. Your neck will thank you!

Hola, now I know what early retirees do all day and night.

BOT, for ergonomic reasons, best to mount the thing near eye level. Your neck will thank you!
I saw a number of statements like this when I was trying to decide where to mount our 48" TV in our family room. The best location was above the fireplace in the center of the room but the mantle is 5 ft off the floor. Since the stand for the TV was the same depth as the mantle, I placed it there as a test to see how it worked. Two years later and it is still there - and our necks haven't suffer at all.

The distance from the TV and the type of chair you sit in for viewing has a huge impact on how well an elevated wall mount will work for you.

I have a 60" HDTV about 10 feet in front of my easy chair (a big no-no, ask all the know-it-alls), and I LOVE being able to see TV clearly for the first time in my life. My vision is bad and for me, this is perfect.

I have poor vision as well, so I have a 70" TV and designed a table to match underneath it. Easy chair is very close as well.

70 TV.jpg

Last edited:
I asked my sister and a girlfriend this question and they both told me that I need to ask a man for the answer as it was a "man" question.

I just bought a 60" LCD TV and was planning on buying one of those stands that you can mount it on so it sits a bit higher. However, most of them, that are reasonably priced at least, say for up to 50".or up to 100 -120 #'s. Now, the TV is less than 100# and actually is only 50" across if you are not measuring diagonally. So, can I make it work? or do I have to purchase one specifically for a 60" and above?

I did ask at Bestbuy and got disagreement from the sales clerks, so anyone (man or woman :)) know the real answer?
It is best to have a stand rated for a 60" screen, but it is critical for the stand width to be greater than the width of the LCD base and very important for the stand to be a bit wider than the LCD screen. To avoid tipping the LCD base needs to be strapped or screwed to the stand.

Wide stands have a large footprint, one reason wall mounts are so popular, but there are lots of options. If you set up speakers alongside sometime down the road it can look really nice. Here's one site I have used in the past for ideas (and purchases).

TV Stands For Extra Large Flat Screen TVs | 60", 63", 64", 65", 82", 85", 92"

BTW, 60" is a great size screen. :)

Silly question: How big is the room you have a 60" TV in? I just cannot fathom a 60" TV.

I currently have a 50" set, but have been admiring those 60" and greater ones in Costco. The only thing about those big sets, they are even better when you have a big sound system to support them (eg 5.1)

Two years later and it is still there - and our necks haven't suffer at all.

With all that looking up, have you tried to lace your shoes lately??
No wait, you are in Texas, disregard the shoe lace question.:)

Just a reminder that if you don't go wall mount but use a stand or place on other furniture, consider a safety strap to prevent it from falling. Not an issue if it's just you in the place, but kids have been killed by these big TV's when they pull them forward.

I have poor vision as well, so I have a 70" TV and designed a table to match underneath it. Easy chair is very close as well.

Nice set up!

+1 That is great!

Here's mine on my oak dining table. After looking at it, I guess the table is only 6' long without the leaves. It is rock solid and stable, though. They just don't make furniture like that any more IMO. At first I thought it looked weird, but I am used to it now and I love the accessibility and having more space than I actually need for everything. Like Richard4444, my easy chair is very close and I love it that way. No kids in my house any more, and when there were they were raised fairly strictly and not permitted to misbehave like that.

Attachments

• TV from the left2.jpg
    TV from the left2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 4
  • TV from the right2.jpg
    TV from the right2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I think that looks fine, the only problem would be that with that much real estate it might end up being a catchall place to put stuff :)

I think that looks fine, the only problem would be that with that much real estate it might end up being a catchall place to put stuff :)

To be honest, there were two video game covers in front of the TV that I picked up and stacked with the rest of them (behind, to the right), before photographing it! My purse sometimes ends up there for a minute or two right after I get home, but it annoys me to have anything in front of the TV so it doesn't stay there long.

As for the funny looking guy with the big ears, I know, I know... I changed from a well known and fairly partisan news channel to CNBC before taking the photo, just for the purpose of avoiding political content but this is what I got even so. Whatcha gonna do? :LOL:

Last edited:
Here's a site that sells mounts. There is a VESA standard used for HDTV mounts. I don't know if there is a different bolt pattern for 50" and 60", but it looks like 50" is a breakpoint. Anyway, it looks like you can look up your TV's compatibility there, and may find out more about what you should be looking for.

These TV wall mounts are available for same day shipping! Check out the online catalog for other flat panel brackets! There is a TV wall mount available in low profile, articulating, stationary and tilting here!

I use a 110" projection screen and sit about 17' away. As long as you can't make out individual pixels you're in good shape.

Watch out with improving the audio! We did that with our 32" TV and the sound was so good we had to upgrade the TV.

I use a 110" projection screen and sit about 17' away. As long as you can't make out individual pixels you're in good shape.

I think it is so hilarious that on gamer websites people talk about seeing individual pixels with the Wii console (and not with XBox or PS3). With my vision, even with my setup being so close I cannot see any pixels in my Wii games. I like your idea of a 110" projection screen and who knows, maybe I will try that some day.

Silly question: How big is the room you have a 60" TV in? I just cannot fathom a 60" TV.

I sit 7 feet away from my 65" plasma, which is properly calibrated and looks incredible. No eye-strain whatsoever. For somebody like me, who works with and loves film, video and visual mediums, this TV is a also a powerful reference tool.

For the record, sizes go all the way up to 90" now.

Very nice!

My 42" plasma TV stands on a console table. The console's delicate proportions make it look like a precarious setup but it is made of solid mahogany. It is very heavy and sturdy (the whole setup is quake-proofed too, for good measure).

8226800893_518de96a1e_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom