A "man" question

Nice table, FIREd! Just the right size for your TV, too. I like the idea of using baskets under it, for storage.

Nice table, FIREd! Just the right size for your TV, too. I like the idea of using baskets under it, for storage.

The baskets also hide the mess of wires in the back.:)

Last edited:
I sit 7 feet away from my 65" plasma, which is properly calibrated and looks incredible. No eye-strain whatsoever. For somebody like me, who works with and loves film, video and visual mediums, this TV is a also a powerful reference tool.

For the record, sizes go all the way up to 90" now.

that's another way to get your tan during winter time. :cool: I have a 60" plasma which doubles as a space heater in the family room. Kidding aside, I agree with you. A properly calibrated plasma TV 60" or bigger with reference video and audio source at 1080p is awesome! I usually sit 8 ft away and the picture is just stunning!

ready for 4k next? :D

I think the original question had something to do with disclaimer re: the width of the TV and the size of the stand and whether it was important. I think the limit on TV size is because it may tip over (sideways?) if the stand is not wide enough. Something to do with leverage.

Hope this helps,
Mike D.

Another thing to consider, if buying a TV stand instead of wall-mounting, is the height. For those like me who like to sit close to a big screen TV, and to be able to see that TV over my laptop, table-height is just right. Most TV stands are considerably lower, it seems to me, and for me half the screen would be obscured by my laptop if my TV was that low.

Of course, if one plans to limit oneself to the iPad, or not multitask at all, then seeing over a laptop is not an issue.

Reading this thread reminds me of when DH and I were first married. We had a 19 inch, black & white tv. The 'stand' was a couple of 2x6 boards resting on top of concrete blocks. :D

There was no remote control...we had to get up and turn the channel.
sSa_wah.gif

I think they used to make tvs to last forever. When cleaning out my grandparents house they had an old floor model in the barn and we plugged it in and it worked fine. My childhood friend has a small B&W w/13 channels and most certainly doesn't have a remote. It must be 40+ years old but it still works. As long as I have known her it has been sitting on top of her Fridge. I think she has gone through a couple of fridges but the tv is still going strong.

Another thing to consider, if buying a TV stand instead of wall-mounting, is the height. For those like me who like to sit close to a big screen TV, and to be able to see that TV over my laptop, table-height is just right. Most TV stands are considerably lower, it seems to me, and for me half the screen would be obscured by my laptop if my TV was that low.

Of course, if one plans to limit oneself to the iPad, or not multitask at all, then seeing over a laptop is not an issue.

Height was something that I considered carefully when I put up my wall mount. Since we would view the tv both sitting (in the living area or in the dining area) or standing (in the kitchen), I put the mount so the vertical center of the screen would be in the between eye level while siting or standing. While I probably spent too much time thinking about it, it has worked out well.

I think they used to make tvs to last forever. When cleaning out my grandparents house they had an old floor model in the barn and we plugged it in and it worked fine. My childhood friend has a small B&W w/13 channels and most certainly doesn't have a remote. It must be 40+ years old but it still works. As long as I have known her it has been sitting on top of her Fridge. I think she has gone through a couple of fridges but the tv is still going strong.

There isn't much over the air content for the old tv's. And at that age of tv - it probably had to have an adapter to take the coax (cable) to the antenna inputs (2 screws).

but you're right - old tv's were built to last. I had an old tube b/w tv until 5 years ago, in a spare bedroom.

There isn't much over the air content for the old tv's. And at that age of tv - it probably had to have an adapter to take the coax (cable) to the antenna inputs (2 screws).

but you're right - old tv's were built to last. I had an old tube b/w tv until 5 years ago, in a spare bedroom.

I remember growing up and the family had a small 19 inch b/w as the only TV in the house. Those were the days not only of rabbit ears but it too was an old tube tv and when the reception really got bad, giving a slap on the side did improve the reception. :LOL:

As for old TV's....I remember for a while we had two TV's in the family room. Why? Because the picture didn't work on one and the sound didn't work on the other. So you got to get up and change two channels! Dad was cheap.

Silly question: How big is the room you have a 60" TV in? I just cannot fathom a 60" TV.
When the basketball player passes the ball, you instinctively raise your hands to catch it.

But seriously, TromboneAl has posted threads before on the charts that you use to determine TV-viewer distance. I think the appropriate setback is at least outside the three-point circle, perhaps half-court.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom