Alma Maters

I opened a Roth IRA for my daughter when she started earning money at age 16. I told her I'd match whatever she earned, a good lesson in the magic of time and compounding.

She just made a decision that may alter her financial status for a long time, she decided to attend a top state university on a full scholarship rather than a 50k/yr private. That means the 200k I saved for her college education will be growing for at least the next four years. It may go towards professional school later, or a business start up, or maybe just keep earning until she wants to purchase that first house... It's an incredible position for an 18 year old, and luckily she's mature enough to understand the choices this opens up for her later in life.

B.A. 1970 U.W.-W: French and Psychology with a minor in English. In hindsight I can see how that combo lead to a passion for drama. Working my way through taught me how to save for a specific purpose which quickly shifted to saving for time off. Thank you U.W.-W!

I slid into the Psycho. major because I was baffled that upon arriving on campus I noticed that students willingly signed up for Psych. experiments. I never did that but I wanted to be the one to do the experiments; turned out that completing the class in experimental Psy. equaled a major. My niece did the same major in the ‘90s at a different school; I was disappointed to learn that exp. was not required as it was way back in my day.

Rumor has it that one of the rooming houses I lived in, which later became a frat house, was the inspiration for "Animal House." Its now a B&B, Hamilton House.

Getting Short - is any part of the $200,000 really her money, i.e. could she withdraw whatever she wanted whenever she wanted for whatever reason or is it a fund which you solely own from which you will be willing to give lots of financial help?

Good question Buckeye. More the latter. Part is in a 529, so it will be used by her for school later or to pass on to her sister or her children. The rest is in investments in my name, none of it is in UTMs. That said, I do consider it money that is hers to use in a reasonable manner. I've made it clear to her that for school or otherwise, I don't believe in entitlements. However, as long as she works hard and makes sound decisions, I have no problem with helping her out as much as possible. Of course that doesn't include delaying retirement or puting my own financial status in jeopardy.

I slid into the Psycho. major because I was baffled that upon arriving on campus I noticed that students willingly signed up for Psych. experiments.

When I was a student one would get paid a few bucks to be a subject. Why not -- easier even than giving blood.

Edison Technical and Industrial HS 1971. Major Technical Machine Shop. Retired from Mega Corp at 52

HS-Drop out (did not complete 9th grade)
GED-HS
Northern Virginia Community College - AA-Accounting
Northern Virginia Community College - AA-Real Estate
Troy State University (Alabama) BS-Business Administration

HS-Drop out (did not complete 9th grade)
GED-HS
Northern Virginia Community College - AA-Accounting
Northern Virginia Community College - AA-Real Estate
Troy State University (Alabama) BS-Business Administration

Great come-back. I love hearing vignettes like that.

B.S. Computer Engineering - Lehigh University

To tell you how "nerdy" we were, our mascot used to be the Engineers... Our wrestlers are still the Engineers, though they are one of the top teams in the country. We are now the Mountain Hawks. Pretty much the Philadelphia Eagles logo.

Brown and White are our colors.

When I was a student one would get paid a few bucks to be a subject. Why not -- easier even than giving blood.

UW-W paid nada for psyc. subjects. What I didn't get was that apparently if was socially acceptable to sign up. One human experiment was the one where subjects are asked to memorize random numbers, I think they were six-digit numbers. A very high percentage of them walked out in frustration.

BTW, I fell in love with my lab rats which refused to extinquish their lever-pushing behavior. Extinquished equaled going a full three minutes without pushing the lever for a pellet of food; they would go 2 min. 55 seconds... on and on into a Friday night. I wrote up my report suggesting that they were not "naive" but had been re-used from previous experiments. Prof. chopped my numbers down to classic results. Took the rats home, roommate went ballistic.

There were two notes in the lab: "I think my rat is dying." "If your rat dies, wrap in Royal Purple [student newpaper] and throw in garbage."

Missed this thread

Forgot the "Other" forum!

College of the Holy Cross, Philosophy
Boston College Law School, JD
Boston College Grad Arts & Sciences, Pastoral Ministry

siu.jpg

Southern Illinois University.

BS - Accounting
BS - Finance

- Undergrad was split between DePaul and Northwestern. Took care of all of my pre-meds at Northwestern, but ended up with a Bsc in Commerce (Finance) from DePaul (don't ask about the logic with this, but, it worked for the best).
- Applied/accepted to numerous law school, but opted not to go after working at a firm for some time (apologies to any attorneys on here).
- I may still go the medical route as I'm only 25, but I'm not sure...

163622142_c5f94effda.jpg

446188104_2f7556b2e6.jpg

P.S. Really interesting thread. People from all walks of life.

Last edited:
BS in Computer Science @ Willamette University 1993
MBA @ Boise State University 2007

2Cor521

Willamette:

millstream.jpg

Boise State's famous Smurf turf:

apg_1150388542.jpg

B.S. in Computer Science at San Jose State University, 1988. Made it more than half way through their MSCS program before burning out in 1996.

Interesting thread.

Cornell University '88 Electrical Engineering. Got my butt kicked out after 2 years, I still have the Big Red "C" boot mark on my backside. Served me right for thinking that college (and life too) was going to be a layup.
Killed me to see my parents suffer to pay my Ivy League tuition. Never burdened them ever again and paid my way for everything since then.

Pace University '00 BS in Professional Studies with concentration in Economics. Night school in downtown NYC while working for financial services firms.....got so tired sometimes I'd fall asleep, miss my stop on the subway home & find myself in Harlem:eek:

I feel like I got my Masters in the School of Hard Knocks.
In my book the parchment paper from Pace is more precious to me than anything I could have received from any of the best schools on earth.

Here's a quote from Rudy, my all time favorite movie, that I'd watch when I felt down and beat up during the dark years.

Fortune: You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. Am I making myself clear?

Interesting thread.

Cornell University '88 Electrical Engineering. Got my butt kicked out after 2 years, I still have the Big Red "C" boot mark on my backside. Served me right for thinking that college (and life too) was going to be a layup.
Killed me to see my parents suffer to pay my Ivy League tuition. Never burdened them ever again and paid my way for everything since then.

Pace University '00 BS in Professional Studies with concentration in Economics. Night school in downtown NYC while working for financial services firms.....got so tired sometimes I'd fall asleep, miss my stop on the subway home & find myself in Harlem:eek:

I feel like I got my Masters in the School of Hard Knocks.
In my book the parchment paper from Pace is more precious to me than anything I could have received from any of the best schools on earth.

Here's a quote from Rudy, my all time favorite movie, that I'd watch when I felt down and beat up during the dark years.

Fortune: You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. Am I making myself clear?

Hey, my Dad got booted from Cornell 25 years before you! You're in good company! ;)

Hey, my Dad got booted from Cornell 25 years before you! You're in good company! ;)

Thanks laurencewill. I'm in really good company.

Many folks drop out, what they do afterwards is a true measure of the person.
Cornell is reputed to be the easiest Ivy to get it, but the hardest to graduate from.
Huey Lewis (and the news) & Harry Chapin are some other members of this club.

BS Electrical and Computer Engineering
Rutgers University 2004

Oregon State University, B.S. Fisheries Science, unofficial minor in that newfangled (at the time) computer science stuff. Good way to meet men and it was easier than biology.

BSME Purdue University

Back
Top Bottom