Amazon package thief??

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Amazon packages just sit at our front door and wait for us until we pick them up.

Never had a problem with lost packages...until a couple of days ago.

A couple of days ago, we were expecting two deliveries from Amazon. I don't know why they were separate deliveries but those two deliveries were handled by two different couriers. In the evening, I checked and there was only one package at the front door although Amazon tracking shows photos of two separate deliveries/packages, which happened about 30 minutes apart.

We have a small WYZE camera (motion-detecting) on the window in our living room which overlooks our driveway and the stairs leading to the front door, which we purchased after I read a thread abuot WYZE cameras here. (We cannot see the front door itself, but we can see part of the stairs leading up to it.) It's a small camera but it's visible from the outside if you look up at our living room window.

We checked the camera recording to see what might have happened, and between those two deliveries, no one came to our door. And strangely, when the second delivery person took the photo of the 2nd package, the 1st package was gone...

Anyway, the first delivery guy brings a package and turns around to take a photo, and we can see that he has nothing but his camera in his hand. The second delivery guy comes though, the whole time he's on camera, he never extends out his right arm when he starts walking back to his car after supposedly dropping off the package (we can only see his back/back movement); his right arm is tucked in, in front of him (away from the camera) the whole time, even when he walks back to his van which is parked on the other side of the street. He's holding his phone in his left hand (while his right arm still tucked in, in front of him), and he uses his left hand (with his phone still in his hand) to open the van door, and he leans in with his right arm extended to get in his car.

What do you think?

Is anybody getting their stuff stolen?

Any preventative measures you're talking?

Last edited:
Report you didn't get the package to Amazon.
They should be able to show you the photos by the delivery people.

How do you know nobody came along and stole 1 package ?
Maybe 1 package was a lot more attractive (valuable sender) or smaller than the other ?

The delivery photos might show:
Delivery 1: 1 package.
Delivery 2: 2 packages -> maybe someone else came along, or 2nd del person stole it.
OR
Delivery 1: 1 package.
Delivery 2: 1 package -> maybe someone else came along, or 2nd del person stole it.

Check your memory card from the camera as it records constantly (if you have it set) so it won't be a matter of missing motion activation when someone comes along. That in itself will be proof nobody else came along to steal package.
But you need to pull the memory card (eject it first via app) now before it gets overwritten.

Sorry, I didn't mention - we've already reported it to Amazon. They refunded me the money right away, without even checking the details. (Their customer service is great like that.) Although they didn't ask, we sent relevant screenshots and corresponding commentaries to Amazon to investigate. Not sure if they'll do anything though, as the shots do not show anything definitively.

We're thinking of adding another WYZE camera (or DW can create a fake camera using his 3-D printer) right at the front door to deter anybody from taking our packages...

Since Wyze cameras are $25, it's probably cheaper to put in a real one, than print a fake one ?
People report, as long as you have it under an overhang, so it doesn't get rained on, it works fine.

Since Wyze cameras are $25, it's probably cheaper to put in a real one, than print a fake one ?
People report, as long as you have it under an overhang, so it doesn't get rained on, it works fine.
We have no electric outlets nearby, and putting in a new outlet costs a lot. One thing we could do is to use the outside outlet and place the camera under the overhang outside, but DH doesn't want to do that (He's afraid someone would steal it :LOL:)
3-D stuff is cheap, as we already have all the materials, and the camera is very small.

Last edited:
We ship all our Amazon packages to Rite Aid and then we pick them up.

We ship all our Amazon packages to Rite Aid and then we pick them up.
Thanks, if this continues, I will have to consider something like that although it's much easier to just go to my front door to pick up packages.

The place nearest me that serves as a hub is a a place I wouldn't even go in in broad daylight, with friends. . . . Better chance of it being safe on my porch.

We have no electric outlets nearby, and putting in a new outlet costs a lot. One thing we could do is to use the outside outlet and place the camera under the overhang outside, but DH doesn't want to do that (He's afraid someone would steal it :LOL:)
3-D stuff is cheap, as we already have all the materials, and the camera is very small.

It's only $25 worth of camera, and if mounted high it's hard to reach, plus it will send to the cloud their face as they steal it.
They have white and black camera's so, whatever would be less obvious would be best.

Or could you mount a mirror so the window camera can see the porch better ?

Ring has a battery cam that is rechargable. Stick it anywhere. I have one on the side under the overhang. Works pretty well. I bought a 2nd battery and the charge last 4-5 months. I have to get the step ladder out to pull the batteries & recharge. It's not too bad though

There are Amazon delivery drivers stealing packages. It's that simple. There are also porch pirates, and recording cameras will catch the action. We've slowed down our Amazon purchases, because deliveries went missing.

Back
Top Bottom