Any Fly-Fishing Enthusiasts

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I live in fly fishing area and has always been an interesting subject. I have never tried it but would like to get some gear and start.

Looking for help on equipment for a beginner and any tips for a rookie.

I live in fly fishing area and has always been an interesting subject. I have never tried it but would like to get some gear and start.

From my understanding, it can be an expensive endeavor.

My brother-in-law is big into it, has won some competitions, and has his own shop.

Here's his facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100071203868445

They have monthly classes in-house on different topics and get quite a turnout. Personally, I don't understand it. But if you live in the area it may be something to check out.

Note: I'm not suggesting purchasing anything from BIL's shop. Simply mentioning it as a resource. If you drop them a message and say that you're a beginner starting out, I'm sure he'd be happy to make some recommendations for equipment...which you could purchase anywhere.

From my understanding, it can be an expensive endeavor.

My brother-in-law is big into it, has won some competitions, and has his own shop.

Here's his facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100071203868445

They have monthly classes in-house on different topics and get quite a turnout. Personally, I don't understand it. But if you live in the area it may be something to check out.

Note: I'm not suggesting purchasing anything from BIL's shop. Simply mentioning it as a resource. If you drop them a message and say that you're a beginner starting out, I'm sure he'd be happy to make some recommendations for equipment...which you could purchase anywhere.
Thank you All!
Yes, shops would be the best source for the info and knowledge of the sport. I do plan on doing that but wanted to see if anyone here into fly fishing etc.

I do have one good friend that fly fishes, but he doesn't do it often. He lives right on a popular fly-fishing creek/river so he can just walk the back door and he is fishing.

I will actually go to a local small shop today and ask a few questions. If a creek is 5 feet wide here it has fish.

The most important thing IMO is learning to cast properly. If you can find someone locally to teach you how, that would be best, but in any case a LOT of practice is required.

I really enjoyed fly fishing, but the best times by far were when we went with a guide.

It’s a wonderful way to be out in nature, especially standing in a river.

Too many hobbies, so it fell to the wayside. I imagine if I lived on a good fishing stream I would be at it again.

As I recall, you live in Montana so I assume we are talking about fishing for trout in rivers & streams.

To start off, the standard rod set up would be a 5 weight rod with a basic reel and a floating fly line. Add a leader/tippet and a small box of flies and you are fishing. Tackle these days is all pretty good so a basic entry level rod/reel set-up is what I'd recommend. You don't need a $1,000 rod and $500 reel. A set-up with a rod, reel and fly line would probably run $250-$400 or so. I would go to a fly shop rather than buy the cheap starter kit from Walmart.

Add a leader, tippet, nippers, a pair of forceps, a net, a small box of flies and some basic instruction and you are ready to go.

If you want to wade into the water you can wet wade (in the summer) with some solid boots and shorts or you can go with wading boots and waders.

Many fly shops have beginner classes and the Orvis website has an extensive learning center.

Since you live in fly fishing country, I'd say go for it. Just don't blame me when you have accumulated four boats, twenty rods and enough feathers to outfit ten fly shops :D.

I have not done any fly fishing since my days on the Beaver Kill and Willowemoc back in the 60s. I would also say getting some lessons and local advice on equipment for where you are fishing would be good. There must also be a lot of YouTube that might give you a feel. When I started even did some practice in my backyard and at the local lake before hitting the streams and I started cheap before moving to better equipment. It is a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby and nothing like being out on beautiful scenic stream/river.

It looks easy to do but again the more you do the better you will be.

Visit a fly shop for gear and suggestions for a guide to help you get started. And watch some fly fishing YouTube videos. You’ll have a great time fly fishing in your neck of the woods.

I got a lot of help from friends, a guide and a fly shop.

Enjoy!

I have only done a little fly fishing so I really can't help. Of the different types of fishing that I have done I would say that for me fly fishing was the type that I would do most often if I had the chance. There is something about using light tackle and finesse that is appealing. Unfortunately there isn't that opportunity in my part of the country. You are going to have so much fun.

Cheers!

It looks easy to do but again the more you do the better you will be.

Well, the good ones make it LOOK easy.

Still, Montana has some of the best fly fishing anywhere, so you should be able to enjoy it even as a beginner.

I have not done any fly fishing since my days on the Beaver Kill and Willowemoc back in the 60s.

I grew up over the mountain fishing the Esopus Creek, still have my 1st flyrod I bought about 1976. Been flinging feathers ever since. Street, be careful, you can end up spending ALOT of money. As a kid I wandered the creeks with a $30 kit, sneakers and a stick with my fish, laughing at the guys from NYC carrying $1000's of gear and no fish. I still try to stay minimum on what I carry. Okuma makes some good starter kits, a 5 Wt 8-9 foot run you about $100. A local shop is a great place to get hints on best patterns that work in the area.
Now for the hard part... Casting... the biggest thing I see is folks trying to throw the fly like a regular lure, your throwing the weight of the line.
Check out Lefty Kreh's videos and explanations.
Good luck, enjoy, and keep us posted on how it goes...

And PS... If your looking to just spend money... get into fly tying. :LOL:

Check for clubs in your area

Even here in the desert of AZ we have a fly fishing club in Phoenix named AZ Flycasters. They have casting classes and also meetups at various locations for learning to fly fish. I would think in a fly fishing area there could be multiple groups… They are a great way to meet people and learns some skills. I can even tie flys now!

Thanks for all the encouraging words and help. I biked down to a small sporting shop, and I ended up buying a beginner's kit.

I have watched some great teaching videos in the last 3 weeks or so. I did get out and do some casting and I believe I did fine and only to get better with more time with fly rod in my hand.

One thing is I have to many things going and need to take more time for things like this. Something new to learn.

Bow season just around the corner need to get ready for that and hike blinds up at the ranch back in the high country.

Can't believe I never have fly fished but I will be spending time now doing it I hope.

Last edited:
Street...

usually local fly shops have some general classes for beginners (they obviously want new clients)

Since you are in an area that supports fly fishing streams, I'd suggest that you observe some fishermen while casting; some might be able to give you hints/suggestions if you ask.

{I was previously just a short jaunt (8 minute) from the Deschutes in central OR, true nationally recognized fly fishing (the trout raised there get sent all over the country). I had also been in CO and done mountain stream and small lake fishing there }

The classes should have you recognize different flies for the different hatching seasons of the food sources, the type of lines that could be used in different conditions, casting techniques for both downriver and side casts, ....and lots more.

Those of us who also started tying our own flies..., well, yeah, it can get a bit much...but you don't have to go overboard... but it takes a lot of time (and lots of repetition of different flies) to get anywhere near proficient. It's nice though when a brownie takes the fly you tied yourself; I really can't tie anything smaller than a 16 (hands too big... and had issues, since resolved with carpel tunnel surgery)... I'd suggest starting with 12's and 14's for technique (wrapping, how to add the feathers, whipfinishing, etc) and to be able to develop patterns that might work for the conditions.

(...and no, I didn't get/have the expensive rods.... mine were older "hand-me-downs" that I had to repair to get into condition. I did get some good waders... truely needed in many areas to get into the good spots. )

One thing- - in our area, we also had to be aware of wildlife- - mountain lions often were in the area and were sometimes spotted observing fishermen (saw evidence of kills and knew to stay alert !) (we didn't have bears where I went (which were remote) but farther into the wilderness and BLM areas they did occur...** so be safe **)

Last edited:
Street...

usually local fly shops have some general classes for beginners (they obviously want new clients)

Since you are in an area that supports fly fishing streams, I'd suggest that you observe some fishermen while casting; some might be able to give you hints/suggestions if you ask.

{I was previously just a short jaunt (8 minute) from the Deschutes in central OR, true nationally recognized fly fishing (the trout raised there get sent all over the country). I had also been in CO and done mountain stream and small lake fishing there }

The classes should have you recognize different flies for the different hatching seasons of the food sources, the type of lines that could be used in different conditions, casting techniques for both downriver and side casts, ....and lots more.

Those of us who also started tying our own flies..., well, yeah, it can get a bit much...but you don't have to go overboard... but it takes a lot of time (and lots of repetition of different flies) to get anywhere near proficient. It's nice though when a brownie takes the fly you tied yourself; I really can't tie anything smaller than a 16 (hands too big... and had issues, since resolved with carpel tunnel surgery)... I'd suggest starting with 12's and 14's for technique (wrapping, how to add the feathers, whipfinishing, etc) and to be able to develop patterns that might work for the conditions.

(...and no, I didn't get/have the expensive rods.... mine were older "hand-me-downs" that I had to repair to get into condition. I did get some good waders... truely needed in many areas to get into the good spots. )

One thing- - in our area, we also had to be aware of wildlife- - mountain lions often were in the area and were sometimes spotted observing fishermen (saw evidence of kills and knew to stay alert !) (we didn't have bears where I went (which were remote) but farther into the wilderness and BLM areas they did occur...** so be safe **)
I could take some classes but will wait and do some experimenting to get the feel for things first. I don't want to spend a whole lot just want a be able to do some fly fishing in spring and fall. Making time and finding that balance with all the things is the hard part.

You are right about the wildlife. About a month ago there was a cat that was hanging out about a mile from my place. They got pictures of the big tom walking down the road.

One question, can you use any weight on your tippet or leader? I know that the back line is the weight that gives you that casting ability but just wonder if a small weight is ever attached. I know the fly can have a small weight that is on the upper shank of the hook etc.

One question, can you use any weight on your tippet or leader? .

I haven't but have seen it done, mostly Czech nymphing or Takara fishing. I do use some weighted flies.

Congrads on the kit and getting started.

I grew up over the mountain fishing the Esopus Creek, still have my 1st flyrod I bought about 1976.

Fished the Esopus as well. I actually gave away a few years ago my remaining flyrod (Fenwick) from the 1960s to my DDIL's father who is really into it. He has a cabin in Montana right on a river.

I haven't but have seen it done, mostly Czech nymphing or Takara fishing. I do use some weighted flies.

Congrads on the kit and getting started.
Thanks, Old Medic!

Enjoy you're making me realize how much I used to enjoy fly fishing. There's no thrill like seeing a trout take a dry from the top of the water. We have many miles of fly fishing only here, I'm going to have to get out a 50 year old Fenwick and an ancient reel. Everyone has provided excellent advice, it's appreciated.

Enjoy you're making me realize how much I used to enjoy fly fishing. There's no thrill like seeing a trout take a dry from the top of the water. We have many miles of fly fishing only here, I'm going to have to get out a 50 year old Fenwick and an ancient reel. Everyone has provided excellent advice, it's appreciated.
Outstanding!!
If you do get out give us an update on your outings, would love the hear back.

There's no thrill like seeing a trout take a dry from the top of the water.

I started FF at 13, and vividly remember my 1st Trout on the fly. 12 in Rainbow on a #10 Adams dry... missed him on the 1st hit... about peed myself when I hooked and landed...
Most folks consider FF strictly a trout thing... But I have chased about everything with flies.. a 12 lb red drum on a 9FT rod in a kayak.... :dance:
Love Smallmouth on the fly... Panfish are a blast...

Back
Top Bottom