Applying for Social Security Retirement online was not as easy as they said!

Canned at 62

Confused about dryer sheets
Three months before my 62 birthday I decided to apply for Social Security Retirement. As my posting name indicates, I was canned by my employer a few days after I turned 62 and was not ready to try to get another full-time job. So I decided to retire.

I carefully researched the process for applying for Social Security Retirement benefits online. I got my information together in a file and looked at websites that described the online application process. It took me about 20 minutes to fill out the application.

Now two months later I have not heard a thing. (Other than an email saying they had received my application.) For all practical purposes, my application for SS retirement appears to have gone into the dead letter office.

I expected some letters, phone calls or emails, but nothing has happened. I tried calling but got either a busy signal or waited on hold for an hour and then lost interest.

When you applied for Social Security Retirement online what happened between your application and the day you got your first direct deposit? Is my situation common?

(I heard they cut the Social Security Administration budget and it is nearly impossible to get through on the phone and the offices are like a zoo.)

Three months before my 62 birthday I decided to apply for Social Security Retirement. As my posting name indicates, I was canned by my employer a few days after I turned 62 and was not ready to try to get another full-time job. So I decided to retire.

I carefully researched the process for applying for Social Security Retirement benefits online. I got my information together in a file and looked at websites that described the online application process. It took me about 20 minutes to fill out the application.

Now two months later I have not heard a thing. (Other than an email saying they had received my application.) For all practical purposes, my application for SS retirement appears to have gone into the dead letter office.

I expected some letters, phone calls or emails, but nothing has happened. I tried calling but got either a busy signal or waited on hold for an hour and then lost interest.

When you applied for Social Security Retirement online what happened between your application and the day you got your first direct deposit? Is my situation common?

(I heard they cut the Social Security Administration budget and it is nearly impossible to get through on the phone and the offices are like a zoo.)

As long as you got the e-mail saying that they had received your application, you're probably OK. If they have any questions they will call you on the phone.

You can log into the SS website and see if there is any more information about it there. About a month before my direct deposit began, I found information when I logged in there, saying when it would be deposited and how much. You may also get an "award letter" in the mail shortly before the direct deposit.

My husband applied last November for his. His birthday is in February. He turned 66. He received no phone call. Week after week after week when checking his status on-line it said "Received". Finally, shortly before his birthday it changed to approved and then he got a letter in the mail showing the amount which was then deposited starting in March. So, not hearing anything for weeks on end appears to be normal.

Last edited:
I got a call about a month after I applied offering me a couple of options. Doesn't appear as though they are consistent with the process.

DW signed up last week. On Tues Aug 1st we elected to take our marriage license to the local branch rather than send it via the mail. Office had a few people but had 3 workers and we were in and out in less than 30 minutes. Easy peasy!

If you have a MySocialSecurity account online (and if you don't, you should register for one), you can check the status of SS or Medicare applications. My wife just applied online for Medicare, and her approval was available within a few days.

applied 3 months before birthday....got no calls ….first check one month after birthday....may have got a letter before money showed in my account, don't remember . Status on line changed around my birthday to approved.

Like you I thought my app had fallin on deaf ears, but all was fine. I too tried to call but hold time was long.

I called the 800 number and after a very short wait, made a phone appointment to file my application for this Friday at 1:30. They will call me. After making that call I received two letters from SS confirming the appointment. I have been collecting spousal since reaching FRA at 66. That application was filed in person after arranging for an appointment by phone and that appointment was handled very efficiently with no wait. I am expecting this appointment to occur in similar fashion with my first check to be received for the month of November on 12/1.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

IIRC, i waited several months, at least two, and then got a letter explaining my benefits including the amount and when the checks would starts. Overall it has handled very well though there was not much info while it was being 'processed'.

Like others, I heard nothing for a couple of months other than "application received" on my on-line account. Then two letters saying approved and a second one with specific amounts and pay dates.

I recently applied on line. Today, when I log on to "My Social Security" from the SSA website, I'm sent to my overview page where there's a section that says, "Your benefit applications". There it says my benefit type is Retirement, the Level is initial, Date started is 7/14/18, Status is processing and More Info has a tab to details. It also includes a tab labled; Need proof that you have applied for Social Security benefits? Here's your official letter.

If I click on View Details, there's a timeline of benefit application started, benefit application submitted, and as of 7/16 We are reviewing your Retirement benefit application.

I applied to recieve my SS at the earliest possible date. At the time I applied, they stated my first check/deposit would be November, my birth month being October.

I anticipate I will not hear a word from SS before the first deposit in November, but might see updates on the My Social Security from my login. I'm fine with that. My past experience with filing on line with the VA to get my father a disability pension about a year ago for serving in Korea and now 100% of his income spent on medical, was much the same; filed, waited, then one day I get a deposit back dated to the day I applied for him on line. Nothing in between. Took 9 months, but that's VA for you. Just glad they made good on the file date.

I'm looking forward to November!

I applied online for SS and Medicare about a week ago. Already see the approved applications and $ amount of check on the site, a few bucks more than I was anticipating. YMMV, but worked well for me.

I guess the good news is that if they did screw it up, or lost your application, you will still get all the money due to you - just maybe not as soon as you wanted it. If they don't meet YOUR start date requirement, at least all of your subsequent checks will be larger.

Personally, I WANTED to sit down in an office in front of a human WITH a computer screen. The nice lady who waited on me told me my couple of options and showed me (almost) to the penny what my deposits would be and when I could expect them. She then gave me a handful of printouts to take home. The ONLY 2 issues were getting the appointment (I think I had to wait almost a month - but I had planned for that) AND I had to find a parking place which is not always easy in downtown Honolulu. Good luck and welcome to Early Retirement. As always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom