Are you circumcised?

A fitting reaction from someone named Notmuchlonger. ;)

But in all fairness to FD's request for information, my opinion is that circumcision has no medical benefit in the absence of additional risks such as patients unable or disinclined to maintain decent hygiene. There are hints of higher transmission of certain viruses to the sex partners from uncircumcised men but that data is filled with uncertainty and is inconclusive.

The decision needs to be made on the basis of cultural or ritualistic factors, not medical ones.

There is however other medical reasons that make it essential to be circumcised like "Phimosis" where the foreskin will not retract and at times cause extreme pain during intercourse. I know what I am talking about because I was surgically circumcised at the age of 20 and believe me the recovery was not fun at all.

We had our son done at birth.

I know what I am talking about because I was surgically circumcised at the age of 20 and believe me the recovery was not fun at all.

So how was the nursing care?
smiley.gif

Your friendly forum pediatrician checking in.
My opposition to routine neonatal circumcision is based on
(a) observation of some very, very serious mishaps (don't ask)
(b) coming from Europe, where most men are not circ'ed, and get along just fine
(c) a general philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
(d) my ethical opposition to nontherapeutic/cosmetic procedures on nonconsenting children.

I respect parents' right to do this to their soms for religious reasons, though it does make me squirm....

http://www.amazon.com/As-Nature-Made-Him-Raised/dp/0060929596

There is however other medical reasons that make it essential to be circumcised like "Phimosis" where the foreskin will not retract and at times cause extreme pain during intercourse. I know what I am talking about because I was surgically circumcised at the age of 20 and believe me the recovery was not fun at all.
True, there are unusual conditions that may require therapeutic circumcision at any age -- sorry your number came up.

But paraphimosis is very uncommon and certainly doesn't justify routine circumcision for all boys. You'd need to circumcise 99 boys for no medical reason to prevent one episode, which episode could be treated at the time it occurs in any case.

That said, I'm sure it was no fun for you.

It is much easier to keep the male's genitals clean and I understand that statistically it is healthier for their wife.

Remaining faithful during marriage will take care of that. Sure, if a husband is unfaithful, he will be more susceptible to sexually transmitted disease and would infect his wife. Circumcising children is child abuse, plain and simple.

after the stock market returns of 08', we all feel clipped in the ----.

I was thinking on this.. esp. Brat's leaping to the (very common) defense of "cleanliness".

JUST WASH!! We don't cut off fingertips to avoid dirt under the fingernails, nor do we pull teeth to avoid possible tooth decay. [I seem to remember, though, that "preventive" hysterectomies hit a height of popularity in the '60s/'70s..]

To me it all ties in with a creepy anti-sex vibe as I grew up in the US. Better to slice off a 'dirty' part of the penis than to WASH it.. which COULD involve more than a few seconds of SELF-TOUCHING on practically a DAILY BASIS!!! Which is obviously to be avoided.

I think of my mom, with her preventive hysterectomy, getting agitated because "WHAT was I DOING in the shower FOR TEN WHOLE MINUTES!? (not an issue of water or heat cost, believe me). It wasn't 'til I left home that I even "got" what that tone of tension was all about. It was the same borderline psychosis that viewed bidets as blatant and offensive badges of sexual licentiousness rather than convenient aids to mundane personal hygiene.

I guess I came from a not-uncommon American bkgd. of a certain era in which not only genitals but any 'private' bodily need or function was shoved into the tiniest mental, physical and temporal space humanly allowable, lest be opened the family floodgates to day-long orgies of who-knows-what in the powder room.

At almost 49 I still get crap from my mom for public nose-blowing (with Kleenex, of course). Good thing we don't circumcise noses!

-----
The interesting thing (to me) is that I can't even identify a separate "foreskin" on an uncircumcised adult male; I think even some of the diagrams I was shown in school and encyclopedias of the time and whatnot were (willfully?) incorrect. The only thing I can imagine being cut away is a marginally random swath of whatever "extra" skin happens to seem to be around the shaft when it is not erect. In "real" uncut life it's all continuous skin from the glans to the abdomen, without particular distinction (as far as I can tell).

For example, as a "laywoman" ;) I would aver that this is an unrealistic and deceptive diagram:
Acucullophallia - definition of Acucullophallia in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

As our two neighborhood docs have said, there really isn't a medically justifiable reason to circumcise a newborn. It's an aesthetic issue. So let's put the procedure in the correct category: it's a cosmetic surgery.

Me: Like most boys born in England at the time, circumcised. Wish I wasn't.

I am the mother of two sons who are 3 years apart. With the first son, I asked my husband and he insisted on circumcision. Then we became caregivers to my FIL who was NOT circumcised and I would have to bathe him when hubby was out of town on business. When the second son was born I insisted he be cut. It had no face!

It's mostly cosmetic.

However:
Squamous cell carcinoma of the penis almost exclusively occurs in the uncircumcised. I observed the surgery of an adult man with SCC having his penis surgically removed.

Some of our friends decided not to circumcise their baby years ago. The kid had several episodes of balantitis (infection/inflammation of the glans penis in uncircumsized), and finally had a circumcision as a teenager. It's a much bigger deal to have an adult circumcision.

Anyone read the book, "The Boy who was Raised as a Girl"?

At the age of 6 months, after concern was raised about how Bruce and Brian urinated, both boys were diagnosed with phimosis. They were referred for circumcision at the age of 8 months. In 1966, doctors performed the circumcision using an unconventional method in which skin would be burned. The procedure did not go as doctors had planned, and Bruce's penis was burned beyond surgical repair...

David Reimer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's mostly cosmetic.

However:
Squamous cell carcinoma of the penis almost exclusively occurs in the uncircumcised. I observed the surgery of an adult man with SCC having his penis surgically removed.

Some of our friends decided not to circumcise their baby years ago. The kid had several episodes of balantitis (infection/inflammation of the glans penis in uncircumsized), and finally had a circumcision as a teenager. It's a much bigger deal to have an adult circumcision.

Anyone read the book, "The Boy who was Raised as a Girl"?

At the age of 6 months, after concern was raised about how Bruce and Brian urinated, both boys were diagnosed with phimosis. They were referred for circumcision at the age of 8 months. In 1966, doctors performed the circumcision using an unconventional method in which skin would be burned. The procedure did not go as doctors had planned, and Bruce's penis was burned beyond surgical repair...

David Reimer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See my earlier post for a link to the book on Amazon.com. It is required reading for all our pediatric residents.

It's mostly cosmetic.

That's because a lot of men are not taught by their parents how to care for their uncircumcized penises. This may be because some families are such prudes and sexually repressed that they are afraid their boys may do more than just clean them. I distinctly remember my mother (non-American) teaching her sons how to slide back the tip of the penis and carefully wash.

That's because a lot of men are not taught by their parents how to care for their uncircumcized penises. This may be because some families are such prudes and sexually repressed that they are afraid their boys may do more than just clean them. I distinctly remember my mother (non-American) teaching her sons how to slide back the tip of the penis and carefully wash.

Yeah, we guys need a commercial where Dad and Son are out on the swing set and sonny says, "hey dad, do you ever worry that you're not fresh?" ........April Adam, when you want to be April shower fresh.;)

That's because a lot of men are not taught by their parents how to care for their uncircumcized penises. This may be because some families are such prudes and sexually repressed that they are afraid their boys may do more than just clean them.

So , you have made a study of American traditions of male hygeine training? Otherwise, on what do you base your rather broad statement?

Ha

broad statement?

Ha
haha you kill me! But I do have a memory, one of my earliest, of my Grandma, who was no prude scrubbing me down and then handing me the wash cloth to "finish"? I was 6 and I figured it out. Weird. Waitaminnit. Your mothers sons = your brothers. Thankfully six of my sisters were younger. There's no free show here.

I tend to think anything natural is made that way for a reason...

So why did evolution result in human males almost universally born with foreskins?? If you have a mixed group of human males, some born with foreskins and some born without, why would the ones with genes directing the creation of foreskins come to dominate the human gene pool?

ladelfina may have provided an answer: sexual selection. If human females strongly prefer sexual partners with foreskins, then the poor guys born without would have fewer mating opportunities and thus their genes would have much more trouble getting inserted into subsequent generations.

Of course, this game can be played both ways. We men may have selected women for bigger breasts at the same time that the women were selecting men for foreskins. :)

Why not just compromise and if the foreskin is extremely long just remove that little extra bit instead of the whole thing?

You don't chop off your fingertips because nails that are too long will cause pain and break.

Little moishe is getting annoyed, he suggests that you bring this topic over to the discussion on TIPS.

Moishe figures he may as well earn some interest and he's not bothered by inflation either. He thinks inflation is good.

jug

That's because a lot of men are not taught by their parents how to care for their uncircumcized penises. This may be because some families are such prudes and sexually repressed that they are afraid their boys may do more than just clean them.
The cure for the "do more than just clean them" problem is not that difficult. Simply remind them that the doing more thing is a leading cause of blindness...>:D

Really it is, Mom said so.

Circumcision is effective in limiting HIV transmission.

We now have confirmation — from large, carefully controlled, randomized clinical trials —showing definitively that medically performed circumcision can significantly lower the risk of adult males contracting HIV through heterosexual intercourse," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease. "While the initial benefit will be fewer HIV infections in men, ultimately adult male circumcision could lead to fewer infections in women in those areas of the world where HIV is spread primarily through heterosexual intercourse."

"While the initial benefit will be fewer HIV infections in men, ultimately adult male circumcision could lead to fewer infections in women in those areas of the world where HIV is spread primarily through heterosexual intercourse."

Africa?

We now have confirmation — from large, carefully controlled, randomized clinical trials —showing definitively that medically performed circumcision can significantly lower the risk of adult males contracting HIV through heterosexual intercourse," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease. "While the initial benefit will be fewer HIV infections in men, ultimately adult male circumcision could lead to fewer infections in women in those areas of the world where HIV is spread primarily through heterosexual intercourse."

A more effective method would be to disabuse them of the idea that having sex with a virgin can cure aids.

Back
Top Bottom