Barely Use Cell Phone

rembrandt

Recycles dryer sheets
Just curious, are there any other people out there who barely use their cell phones? I don't see the attraction. Aside from the initial "coolness factor", the only thing I use it for is to get the weather forecast and to generate a code to log in to my work computer. Thanks.

Not me. Pretty critical to my daily way of life. It’s also my only number - I don’t have a landline.

Most of the time my watch is supporting that functionality and I don’t need the phone nearby when at home. Throw it in my purse or pocket when I leave home.

But I’m using my iPad constantly - which also can act as a phone assistant for texts, calls, etc.

Last edited:
I use my cell and my Apple Watch/iPad connected to it all the time.
Texts
Email
Phone calls
Health monitoring
Athletic data capture
News/market info
Weather
Notes
Calendar
Digital coupons
2FA
Web surfing
YouTube
Podcasts

Last edited:
I still have a flip phone. I only use it when I have to.

I use a laptop for a computer.

I never liked talking on the phone and I only use texting for information, not entertainment.

My tablet is my morning and night choice. Cell phone is everything in between.

Cell is my only phone but I'm a very light user, mainly for the occasional call/text and receiving security codes to access various accounts. I'm not one to have the phone with me at all times, usually not taking the cell on short errands or when dinking around outside.

Maps, email, messaging with family, all the normal stuff. Hardly ever use the phone unless calling for doctor appointment or businesses.

The other features I find super handy:

Checking prices and options when out shopping (like...my size out of stock in store, but online there it is...or the other store a few miles away)
Back up payment option
Sync music to speakers
Manage several home lights and devices
Manage my pool
Online banking (check deposits)
Back up for Car Insurance info
Uber/Lyft
Photos/Camera
Starbucks ordering
Occasional flashlight
Ability to find the answer to almost anything anywhere anytime
Cat pictures

Both DW and I are very light users. She uses hers manly to listen to Pandora through our car audio system.
I make an occasional call, and get 2FA texts once in a while.
We have a landline with an answering machine with 3 handsets: living room, kitchen and bathroom. It has audio screening and says: Call from unavailable for alll the robo calls.

Barely Use Cell Phone?

Not me, I use it for everything mentioned above. The camera use alone is a daily event. I also dislike talking on phone from all those years at work. So, text, email, voicemails, facetime is my connection of communication with the handheld computer the phone.

I it daily for, including, but not limited to, the following:

Texts
Checking Email from time to time
Phone calls
Video calls with the Grands
Checking market and stock prices
Checking Weather
Checking time
Calendar
Web surfing
YouTube
Podcasts
internet searching
Translations
a little bit of picture taking

Last edited:
I'm a texter not a talker asnd never answer my cell unless I know who it is.
I do take a lot of photos and text a lot and of course I get tons of verification texts all day for whatever I'm logging into. I use the maps when out driving for the quickest route. The cell is very important and close to me at all times, but for calls it's very rare.
My family calls my google voice number which is unpublished and I can answer on my cell if out and about or at home via my OBI200.

Many of the above reasons. I don't think I saw driving directions, which is a biggie for me. Another biggie is the ability to communicate when meeting with someone if one of us is running late. And if I'm the one waiting, I've got games to keep me occupied.

I have been 100% cell phone since probably 2010. I still hardly use it. Make a call / take a call / shoot a text now and then, and yes, do that thing where the account I'm trying to log into sends me a code via text. It's turned off most of the time unless I need it or am expecting a call.

Most people use their smart phones a lot. The great thing is because you load up whatever apps you find useful it’s easily molded into the kind of device YOU want to use.

Of course some people either don’t care to try it or try it and don’t find it useful or easy to use. And that’s perfectly fine - although there are a number of things that are starting to assume you have one and only provide certain services via app.

I have one relative who has a real problem with typing on the glass keyboard. 99% of people find this OK, but for this person it has never clicked and so they get very frustrated when they try to use it. For them it’s a physical/motor thing.

I DO NOT use my cell phone for reading/posting on this site (or any other, for that matter). The screen is too small for my comfort and keyboard pecking sucks (was never taught to type). I use my Chromebook for website stuff.

Now the cell phone is used for many of the tasks mentioned above and I carry it daily. It's off at night.

I use mine for everything and only use my desktop computer when I am doing reports for work.

My cell phone is a multi-tool/computer in my pocket. In Mexico, where I am now, I use Google Translate on the phone at least a dozen times per day and Google Maps half a dozen times per day. I don't use it much for talking on the phone--mostly short texts.

I DO NOT use my cell phone for reading/posting on this site (or any other, for that matter). The screen is too small for my comfort and keyboard pecking sucks (was never taught to type). I use my Chromebook for website stuff.

Now the cell phone is used for many of the tasks mentioned above and I carry it daily. It's off at night.
Other than I'm using a PC during the day and DW is using a tablet, the rest pretty much describes our situation.

I'm not glued to my phone like so many people are but I do use it. My cell phone is my only phone so I need to have it. I make and receive calls, and texts. I use it to check weather and to adjust my thermostat(Nest) as well as navigation while driving. Uber has been a life saver a couple times and I can't get that without a smartphone. I also use it to take pictures of things because my memory is horrible. It is just a tracfone where I pay as I go and I only go thru about 1000 minutes and a couple GB per year. Costs me less than $200/year and the phone itself was only around $100. Nothing special but still serves a useful purpose.

Last edited:
I said back when I got my iPhone 5 that it was the single greatest piece of technology I had ever owned. That opinion only got stronger with my 7 and now my 13. I use it all day every day at home and at work for countless things. I hardly ever make a phone call though. My iPhone is a fully functioning computer and I use it for most everything I would use my desktop for and a lot more since it's mobile and always with me.

Pretty much what disneysteve just said.

-Two factor authentication for many essential websites (banking, investment, etc)
-Talking to my best friend and family on WhatsApp
-Checking FB, Twitter, and email
-Checking WSPR.net and the Reverse Beacon Network for my signal (ham radio)
-HamAlert app to tell me when my ham pals are on the air
-Paying with the Starbucks app
-Probably numerous other things that I can't recall right now

My two cellphones are an essential part of my life. One is used as a cheap mobile data hotspot. The other is my actual phone. However, anything that involves lengthy pieces of prose is done on the home desktop, unless it's not possible. I'm perfectly capable of writing quite lengthy posts and emails on my phone, but it's a more fluid and enjoyable experience on a full size keyboard and monitor.

Last edited:
I think whether you wish to or not, you pretty much need a phone for the texts that places send. I have an Ooma box which I use like an old landline. I ported my old number there.

However, when places ask for my phone number, I find that I'm giving out a cell number more and more instead of my Ooma number. Reason is because companies assume all numbers are mobile numbers and end up texting to that number. Which results in a fail if that number is not mobile.

I still have a flip phone. I only use it when I have to.

I use a laptop for a computer.

I never liked talking on the phone and I only use texting for information, not entertainment.

Same usage profile here.

I finally switched to a smartphone last year because it was on the 2G network and T-Mobile keeps talking about shutting that one down (which they haven't yet though!). Kinda miss my little flipper, it was so small and easy to pocket.

I don't use the smartphone much. The most data I've used in a month is 2-3 G when we've taken road trips. I prefer using my laptop, and we usually take them with us on trips. My screen time on the smartphone is usually only around 2-4 hours per week, which doesn't include phone calls.

Most people use their smart phones a lot. The great thing is because you load up whatever apps you find useful it’s easily molded into the kind of device YOU want to use.

Of course some people either don’t care to try it or try it and don’t find it useful or easy to use. And that’s perfectly fine - although there are a number of things that are starting to assume you have one and only provide certain services via app.

I have one relative who has a real problem with typing on the glass keyboard. 99% of people find this OK, but for this person it has never clicked and so they get very frustrated when they try to use it. For them it’s a physical/motor thing.
Years ago, I bought a few pen type Styluses with a rubber tip at the 99c store. They worked very well, my fat fingers always hit the wrong letters.
Nowadays my Moto G phone has a built in stylus and I love it.

I also surf the web on the Chromebook, very rarely do I use my phone for that except in an emergency.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom