Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

That's too bad! I was hoping to open a one year CD there in the New Year.

There will be plenty more. It's not as if there won't be new one year CDs. The question is what the rates will be when you're ready to buy?

Navy Fed has a new CD special starting tomorrow. To go along with the 40 month 3.75% IRA CD. In case anyone is interested. No details at this time... :popcorn:

Navy Fed has a new CD special starting tomorrow. To go along with the 40 month 3.75% IRA CD. In case anyone is interested. No details at this time... :popcorn:
40 month at 3.75%? We went 60 month at 3.5% and thought that was a good deal. It was with Wells Fargo and now I'm concerned. They are FDIC protected, aren't all CD's?

40 month at 3.75%? We went 60 month at 3.5% and thought that was a good deal. It was with Wells Fargo and now I'm concerned. They are FDIC protected, aren't all CD's?

Wells Fargo CDs are FDIC insured, as are over 99% of all CDs - no reason to lose even a wink of sleep. I have seen only one or two instances of a CD that was not FDIC insured a couple years ago on Etrade. They had big bold fonts and asterisks around it advising that it was not FDIC insured.

Credit union CDs are insured by NCUA - a credit union version of FDIC.

Looking for a 2 yr and a 5yr. now ......... Trying to fix my ladder. lol lol
Was going to go through Charles Schwab on those 2. But the 2 and 5 yr. sold out last week. Will be interesting to see the rates when they reappear.

I would be happy with a 3% 2 yr and 3.5% 5 yr..........
Recently picked up a ton of 1 yr 2.7% and tiny bit of 5 yr at 3.4%.
Will be interesting if things just sold out, or if CD rates will continue to fall....

Last edited:
Yes but will they be available in Mid February, that is the question.

It's true. The rates may change later. Mine will expire in about a week. Penfed is sending emails as a reminder to renew. The last step of the instruction for renewal is:

6. Click Update and we will update our records to renew your Certificate with the new term you selected. The rate of your Certificate will be determined on the date your existing Certificate matures.

Therefore, you may not receive the rate as advertised now.

Looking for a 2 yr and a 5yr. now ......... Trying to fix my ladder. lol lol
Was going to go through Charles Schwab on those 2. But the 2 and 5 yr. sold out last week. Will be interesting to see the rates when they reappear.

I would be happy with a 3% 2 yr and 3.5% 5 yr..........
Recently picked up a ton of 1 yr 2.7% and tiny bit of 5 yr at 3.4%.
Will be interesting if things just sold out, or if CD rates will continue to fall....

Multiple 3 percent 2 year CD's shown at www.depositaccounts.com. Even higher with the lesser known banks. I have accounts at a couple of the better known banks and have never had a problem. Per Deposit Accounts, Pen Fed is offering 3.5 percent for 5 years and the lesser known banks are a little higher.

Multiple 3 percent 2 year CD's shown at www.depositaccounts.com. Even higher with the lesser known banks. I have accounts at a couple of the better known banks and have never had a problem. Per Deposit Accounts, Pen Fed is offering 3.5 percent for 5 years and the lesser known banks are a little higher.

Yep. Just hoping the (5) institutions I am signed up with (and not already maxed out in) have something decent in the next week or two. Otherwise It will be 6-7.......Not easy trying to consolidate these days. But it is a goal...........:LOL:

Seems a lot of marketing is going on. Good 1 yr. Lousy 5 yr. Etc. Etc. Great 3 yr. Lousy everything else... Killer sav. % and nothing more......

Last edited:
The speculation here is 17-months @ 3.25%.

I see the 17 Mo@ 3.25 Non-IRA CD special is now posted on NFCU's website. The best part is it has the Add-On feature so you can open it for only $50 to "reserve" the rate and add funds at any time if you wish. I'm in!

Edit: Just noticed this special is limited to $50k per member.

Last edited:
Just opened an account at Penfed. What's one more..........lol
Thanks for the info..........

I see the 17 Mo@ 3.25 Non-IRA CD special is now posted on NFCU's website. The best part is it has the Add-On feature so you can open it for only $50 to "reserve" the rate and add funds at any time if you wish. I'm in!

Edit: Just noticed this special is limited to $50k per member.

We are in the process of joining NFCU so that we can buy one of these CD's. I do wish the withdrawal penalty wasn't 180 days. Don't plan on having to break it, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 - Please Post Updates Here

This special is limited to 1 CD per member. If you were concerned about early withdrawal, you could split the deposit with a spouse if married.
INFCU is running a membership drive through 2/28/19. Refer a new member and each of you get $25. You can refer up to 5 people.

Also $100 bonus to open your 1st IRA.

Was ready to click the button today on a 5 yr. PenFed just dropped its 5 yr to 3.4 from 3.5. Not a huge deal. Just proof things are still dropping even at the 10yr T note is well off the bottom. Might be a good time to hold off on the 5 yr. Thoughts?

3.4 is the IRA rate for 60 months. The 5 yr taxable CD is still 3.5. I don't think either has dropped recently.

Was ready to click the button today on a 5 yr. PenFed just dropped its 5 yr to 3.4 from 3.5. Not a huge deal. Just proof things are still dropping even at the 10yr T note is well off the bottom. Might be a good time to hold off on the 5 yr. Thoughts?
Their website still shows 5-year @ 3.5%. For IRA certificates, the 5-year is 3.4%. Both of these rates have been in effect since 12/3/2018.

Their website still shows 5-year @ 3.5%. For IRA certificates, the 5-year is 3.4%. Both of these rates have been in effect since 12/3/2018.

Hmmmm.....did the post we both quoted get deleted?

Just signed up for the Ally 14 month 2.85% CD and moved most of our other cash savings into their 2.30% no penalty 11 mth CD.

trade agreement with China?
clown college of politicians (both sides of the divide)"get their act together"?
Butcher a chicken and read the entrails.

I spreadsheeted the snot out of "now vs wait" before building a 5 year ladder last Sept. For me the math said I would be better of going ahead vs. waiting for the Dec "raise". (now the 5 yr is lower than what I got in Sept).
When I put in the 6month stagger in the ladder this March, I'll be able to get higher rates every 6months IF rates rise. Personally I think they'll drop... too early to tell but it seems to be happening sooner than I expected.

Reminds me of the Parable of the Pebbles (short version):
A man was out walking in the desert when a voice said to him, "Pick up some pebbles and put them in your pocket, and tomorrow you will be both happy and sad."
The man obeyed. He stooped down and picked up a handful of pebbles and put them in his pocket. The next morning he reached into his pocket and found diamonds and rubies and emeralds. And he was both happy and sad. Happy he had taken some - sad that he hadn't taken more.

Rates go down: I'll be sad I didn't go longer on the ladder.
Rates go up: I'll be sad I went as long as I did... but the $ are still making 1.3% better than letting them sit in a MM in the mean time.

Just signed up for the Ally 14 month 2.85% CD and moved most of our other cash savings into their 2.30% no penalty 11 mth CD.

Ditto - received that email yesterday for the 14 month and moved some of the bonus account money into it.

Deleted my post... Silly me. Did not notice PenFed had a different rate for IRA / Non IRA CD's. 3.5% V.S. 3.4%...............

Deleted my post... Silly me. Did not notice PenFed had a different rate for IRA / Non IRA CD's. 3.5% V.S. 3.4%...............
I suspect the lower rate for IRA's is because they allow early withdrawal of all but $1K from IRA CDs without penalty if you're over 59.5.

I'd be shocked if PenFed lowered rates before the end of January. They must be bleeding money. They sucked in tons 5 years ago. Now, their rates are not exceptional and their early withdrawal penalty is punishing.

Back
Top Bottom