Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Yes, opened one last week��

Good job!

I did one a month ago. Then decided a couple days ago, after interest rates continued falling and rates on new issue brokered CDs all fell, that I should do another while they had not taken it away. If they do continue to offer it all the way to month end, I'll likely open a third the last week of the month.

Last edited:
I did one a month ago. Then decided a couple days ago, after interest rates continued falling and rates on new issue brokered CDs all fell, that I should do another while they had not taken it away. If they do continue to offer it all the way to month end, I'll likely open a third the last week of the month.

I also purchased one a month ago. It was @2.9% because ALLY throws you a small bone for rolling over a maturing CD. I planned on purchasing another one @2.9% tomorrow with another maturing ALLY CD. But, I just changed the maturity options to cancel this. The 3.2% 15-month NASA FCU CD is more attractive to me. Or, according to NASA's web site, that rate is astronomical :).

BTW, I occasionally open a $1 3-month CD at ALLY because it often aligns with the extra 0.05% bone that ALLY is willing to throw. With one of these place holder CDs, at maturity, you can change the term and then add an extra amount of money.

Last edited:
Navy FCU has a new (as of today) 6-month CD at 3% available for both IRA and non-IRA certificates. Does not appear to have a maximum.

17-month 3.25% is also still available (non-IRA; $50K max) along with 40-month 3.75 (IRA only; $150K max).

Tough decision on the 6 month..great rate for a short time, but hard to say what will be available in 6 months after it matures..

I also purchased one a month ago. It was @2.9% because ALLY throws you a small bone for rolling over a maturing CD.

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Does Ally automatically tack on that extra 0.05% if you roll over the maturing CD into a new one, or you you have to specifically request it (and if so, how)?

I also have an Ally 1-year CD maturing tomorrow. I was on the fence about what to do with the money, so I originally had it going into my Ally savings account. But just now I changed the renewal instructions online, to have it roll over into a new 14-month select CD (which is the option I was leaning towards anyways).

So if that results in a bit more interest, I'll have you to thank for that, adrift! :flowers:

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Does Ally automatically tack on that extra 0.05% if you roll over the maturing CD into a new one, or you you have to specifically request it (and if so, how)?

It's automatic. But, it happens in a quirky way. When it rolls over it will show 2.85%. After 10 days, it will show 2.9%. The 2.9% is retroactive to the day it rolled over.

The 10 day period is significant at ALLY. If the rate goes up during that period, they give you the higher rate. You can also add more money during that period. I'm pretty sure you can do a partial withdrawal. However, I've never done that.

Last edited:
I got an email a week or so before my Ally CD matured. If you haven’t received that notice I would call.

It's automatic. But, it happens in a quirky way. When it rolls over it will show 2.85%. After 10 days, it will show 2.9%. The 2.9% is retroactive to the day it rolled over.

The 10 day period is significant at ALLY. If the rate goes up during that period, they give you the higher rate. You can also add more money during that period. I'm pretty sure you can do a partial withdrawal. However, I've never done that.

Very interesting. Thanks for those very useful details.

I got an email from PenFed announcing they have doubled the daily ACH limit to 10k for transfers initiated at PenFed for the Premium Online acct. I gotta think the 10k limit is for all ACH transfers initiated at PenFed and not just the Premium savings. I know the 5k limit was an issue for many folks but 10k still seems pretty low.

I got an email a week or so before my Ally CD matured. If you haven’t received that notice I would call.

Thanks. I did get an email last week about my CD maturing today, but it specified what I had requested at the time, that it was closing with the balance being transferred to my Ally savings account. It didn't say anything about a (slightly) higher interest rate if I rolled the balance into a new CD.

I went online late yesterday afternoon and changed the instructions to roll the balance into a new 14-mo Select CD. I was surprised I could change the renewal options so close to the maturing date, but it looks like I could have done so anytime during the 10-day grace period after the CD matured. Wow.

My brand-new CD currently shows the 2.85% rate, but based on adrift's remarks I imagine it'll show 2.9% after 10 days. Woo woo. :cool:

Last edited:
I just saw this while perusing the Depositaccounts.com blog. If you live in SoCal, you're in luck! :dance:

Frontwave Credit Union (CA) Ups 3-Year CD, 3.50% APY

POSTED ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2019 BY Ken Tumin

Deal Summary: 3-year Share Certificate, 3.50% APY, $1k minimum deposit.

Availability: Residents* of Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego Counties, California.
*field of membership includes those who live, work, or worship(?) in those counties, or immediate family members of current Frontwave members.

Frontwave Credit Union (Frontwave) started the month by raising the rate on its 3-year Share Certificate to 3.50% APY. The minimum opening deposit is $1K, with no stated balance cap.

More info here:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/frontwave-credit-union/offers/

Last edited:
I found some CUs can be a little more lenient after a rate drop. I got Connexus to give me their higher rate after it dropped several days earlier. Last week, US Senate was willing to honor their 3.69% until end of this week when I told them that Ally Bank had been jerking me around with misinformation delays before they finally overnighted the check at their expense. Even rigid PFCU, gave in to my request to renew my IRA @ 3.4% after they dropped the rate several day before.

I find the NASA platform very easy to work with. Opened a 25 month earlier this week with a push from Ally that transferred overnight. We opened a 15 month at NASA last September. We also opened an 18 month At Navy in early January. I am slowly building the CD ladder, that I've been attempting to structure for the last year or so, all with rates over 3%. I wish I had more No penalty Ally CD's to break so that I could take advantage of the superior NASA rates, but alas I will have to wait until August and then December for the Ally Cd's to mature.

In my mail yesterday. 15 month CD at citizens bank 3.25% APY. Unfortunately New Hampshire only.

$1000 minimum $1 million max (actually says $999,999.99)

Has anyone used Texell Credit Union? They post a 3.55% 5 year CD. They are convenient to me and a good rate. But when I read the reviews they were awful. So, I am thinking of staying clear. Just curious if anyone else happen to have banked there?

Opening a 15-month CD in an IRA at NASA FCU. I was able to join online after unfreezing my report at Experian, but the IRA portion requires printing, signing and mailing forms. I had already decided to simplify down to two other institutions :facepalm: but these special rates are better than available through my brokerage.

Anyone here a Merrill Lynch/BOA customer and using the PVOXX MM at 2.55%? If you are a Merrill Lynch customer, know that they are about to reduce the normal sweep MM accounts interest so you need to switch.

Shabby; If you are listening, what did you mean by the bolded part of your statement? I have been researching what options I have in our ML accounts to earn some meaningful interest on funds that accumulate in our three ML brokerage accounts? I was given info from the ML premier account advisor assigned to us on 5 or 6 options, PVOXX being one of them. He indicated that PVOXX and the others were not sweep accounts and that I would need to execute the purchases and sales on my own, which is fine with me. Sooooo - when you say reduce interest, I'd like to know what you refer to. I reviewed the fact sheet on PVOXX and did not see any reference to reducing interest. Thanks for your input. We are also looking at TMCXX, which seems to have the same 7 day SEC yield of 2.55%.

Penfed won't do an ACH transaction over the phone, to move $$$ into their Premium Savings 2% account. I have to do it using their website, myself. The website insists on having a cell phone number to send a verification code to. I hate to give out my cell phone number to anyone. Will Penfed be spamming my cell number with lots of unwanted offers, like they do my email? I don't mind the spam to my email, since I just delete it and it doesn't cost me anything but a click. But each spam to my cell phone will cost me something since I am on a pay-as-you-go setup.

The website insists on having a cell phone number to send a verification code to.
A number of institutions have security code verification and use phone and some have the option to use your email which I prefer.

Penfed won't do an ACH transaction over the phone, to move $$$ into their Premium Savings 2% account. I have to do it using their website, myself. The website insists on having a cell phone number to send a verification code to. I hate to give out my cell phone number to anyone. Will Penfed be spamming my cell number with lots of unwanted offers, like they do my email? I don't mind the spam to my email, since I just delete it and it doesn't cost me anything but a click. But each spam to my cell phone will cost me something since I am on a pay-as-you-go setup.

I don’t mind financial institutions having my cell phone number and none of them has ever texted me spam.

Penfed does not abuse me cell phone #. I don’t recall needing a code to xfer funds between PFCU and outside accounts that are established. I can’t ever recall being limited to receiving a authorization code by one method. I can always choose phone or email.

Penfed does not abuse me cell phone #. I don’t recall needing a code to xfer funds between PFCU and outside accounts that are established. I can’t ever recall being limited to receiving a authorization code by one method. I can always choose phone or email.
Yes, some institutions limit the authorization code to phone only. I have a couple.

Back
Top Bottom