Can you rewatch movies?

Can you watch movies (& other TV shows) over and over?

• More often than not, I can't

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • More often than not, I can

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW can watch most movies, all genres, over and over (or TV reruns for that matter). There are very few movies or TV shows I care to watch again. The only exception for me is some 'non-fiction' or how to/DIY shows.

For example, The Sixth Sense [-]is[/-] was one of my favorite movies. It came on again a while back, and just minutes into it I realized I couldn't watch it again knowing how it plays out - it's a one time experience.

Just trying to decide who is weirder, me or DW (answer: both of us :D). Probably stems from her tendency to want the TV on, where I don't - the less TV the better to me (mostly escape/waste of time). When she watches reruns, I leave and easily find something better to do.

I organized my sock drawer for the first time in my life last week, so I know I am weird & retired... :blush:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
There are a few that were really enjoyable to rewatch a few years later: the Illusionist, Like Water for Chocolate, the other chocolate one ;) - that might just have been called Chocolate. I can imagine watched no them again - it's already been a while.

There are several series I was happy to watch again.

But only on my own schedule. We no longer have access to cable or broadcast TV.

It can be fun to watch a movie like Sixth Sense or Fight Club knowing the end. Other good movies and shows without suspenseful endings are probably even easier to watch.

No problem watching things that I enjoy over and over. As far as organizing the sock drawer.... nice job. Mine is a little less of a challenge with only the one kind of sock!

Fun thread!

Having simply heard "there's a twist" about the Sixth Sense, I could immediately tell what it was as soon as the movie started. I think I enjoyed it even more because I could appreciate how it was so well developed and how the tension built toward the reveal. I wouldn't watch it again though as I don't really like watching dark movies more than once, if then. For what I think is a good comedy or romcom (why yes my standards are very low), and I'm in again and again, from Caddyshack to Rushmore to Notting Hill.

Some yes if I really like the movie or series, but most, no I can't. Time is also a big factor. Even if I really like the movie, I have to wait a while to watch it again.

Example: The DW and I watched the Dallas TV series in the late 70's through 91... We liked it so much we bought the entire series on DVD's a few years ago and watched them all again from start to finish. Took us months to watch them all. Probably will watch them again, someday.

Last edited:
I used to suggest rewatching something that we'd seen perhaps a decade or more ago; DW always would nix it because "we've seen that." So I've given up. There are many I see on netflix I'd like to see again but I just give up. Suppose I could fire up the TV during the day which we don't do except sports on weekend when she is in other room but it's not that important to me.

I just watched The Martian for the second time. I enjoyed it because so much happens and I caught a few details that I had missed.

Maybe because I had nodded off.....just for a second.

Honestly, I can't even watch movies the first time. More often than not, I get bored and distracted.

After a while I end up focusing on something else that interests me more such as video games, the forum, or spreadsheets.

P.S. - - sock drawer? I just throw matched pairs of clean socks on a shelf and leave it at that.

Last edited:

For example, The Sixth Sense [-]is[/-] was one of my favorite movies. It came on again a while back, and just minutes into it I realized I couldn't watch it again knowing how it plays out - it's a one time experience. ...

That's an interesting example. I watch very few movies (DW will watch just about anything), most just aren't worth me sitting there for over an hour, that's just me.

But I actually watched The Sixth Sense three times in two days. The twist ending caught me totally by surprise, and then I realize I had watched this movie under a totally false viewpoint, and I just couldn't imagine that they could pull that off. So I immediately re-watched it, just to appreciate how those scenes fooled me into seeing something I really didn't see. I consider it a masterpiece in that regard.

Then I watched it, and the director comments the next day. Not sure I could watch it again though.

But there are a few movies I have watched again years later. Sometimes, knowing the joke is coming up makes it funny in a different way - you get into the build-up I guess, I dunno. The Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, Animal House, Groundhog Day (geez, I guess there is a theme there!) - goofy, silly movies (though Groundhog Day has a serious undertone if you look at it that way), but I enjoy a re-watch sometimes. I've also re-read books years later that I enjoyed - sometimes it's interesting to see what I like or not, compared to the time I read it (high school in some cases). Not sure I could define what is re-watchable or not, certainly not everything, even if I liked it.

-ERD50

Shows I have watched multiple times: Godfather, Witness, and North by Northwest. For those that liked The Sixth Sense try "The Game" with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

It depends on how much time has elapsed and how good the movie was.

I've watched Zulu, The African Queen, and, to a far lesser extent, Pulp Fiction numerous times - almost all others...no.

Another one I have enjoyed multiple times is The Producers (the original Mel Brooks version with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder),

I prefer to watch new movies, which leads to some clunkers and mediocre movies on Netflix. But at least I haven't seen them.

DW is happy watching her favorites multiple times. She knows they're good and won't disappoint her. Fear of loss greater than fear of foregone gains?

I was happy to rewatch The Sixth Sense when it came up on Netflix. You get that different perspective and the chance to observe the mechanics and details. I'll throw in a few movies that I haven't seen for a while and don't remember well, but rated high on Netflix back when we watched DVD rentals. But not too often.

Yes I can rewatch, but I usually do it watching something that is streamed so I just watch the parts I want to see again and skip parts that aren't interesting to me.

Some movies I can watch over and over as the subject matter, location, or acting is very interesting.

A few others, I enjoy looking for the goofs or inaccuracies left in after the editing. ( "The Longest Day" is a great example of both ).

_B

I've always had the thought that I can only watch a movie once.

What we've noticed is that we will start watching a movie we think we have never seen before, and about 15 minutes into it, realize we've seen it before... but we cannot predict the next few scenes, sometimes we do know the ending but the middle part is a blank. So we still enjoy it.

We joke that should we both get alzheimer's really bad, we can just buy 5 movies and watch them repeatedly to the end.

Yes it does worry me, but everything else seems ok... :eek:

A few others, I enjoy looking for the goofs or inaccuracies left in after the editing. ( "The Longest Day" is a great example of both ).

I forget what the movie was, but my favorite is one showing a Roman battlefield with hundreds of Roman soldiers. And a jet trail in the sky. Kinda ruined the scene but I guess they couldn't afford to reshoot.

Another was a 1960's western shoot 'em up with the fin of a '56 Plymouth sticking out from behind a barn.

I forget what the movie was, but my favorite is one showing a Roman battlefield with hundreds of Roman soldiers. And a jet trail in the sky. Kinda ruined the scene but I guess they couldn't afford to reshoot.

Another was a 1960's western shoot 'em up with the fin of a '56 Plymouth sticking out from behind a barn.

And, perhaps it was Quo Vadis (?), with a centurion wearing a wristwatch.

I've always had the thought that I can only watch a movie once.

What we've noticed is that we will start watching a movie we think we have never seen before, and about 15 minutes into it, realize we've seen it before... but we cannot predict the next few scenes, sometimes we do know the ending but the middle part is a blank. So we still enjoy it.

We joke that should we both get alzheimer's really bad, we can just buy 5 movies and watch them repeatedly to the end.

Yes it does worry me, but everything else seems ok... :eek:
Thanks - I do it, too.

Back
Top Bottom