Cell Phones Overseas

I recently used an Airalo data-only eSIM in the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks. I paid $9 each week for 1GB on Claro, which worked great. WiFi calling was turned on, but did not work over the local eSIM connection, as described by camfused. But I think I know why...

My Pixel 6 has 1 physical SIM and 1 eSIM that can be used at the same time. You can set up multiple eSIMs, but only one can be used at a time. My normal US carrier is Tello, which is also on eSIM. So I had to turn off the Tello eSIM service entirely in order to activate the Airalo eSIM.

So my phone knew nothing about my normal US phone number. I think this might have worked if I had Tello on a physical SIM or if I had a different phone that allows 2 eSIMs to be active at the same time, like the newest iPhones.

In any case, I had no use for my local US number. All communication with locals was via Whatsapp. And all communication with friends and family back home was via Google Chat and sometimes FB Messenger.

We are returning from our Rhine river cruise tomorrow. We have T-Mobile and bought their Europe high-speed data pass, and it has worked flawlessly.

I used a combination of Airalo esim and what’s app. It’s so cheap that I wouldn’t consider buying an international plan.

Back
Top Bottom