Class of 2019

I backed through this thread to try and document (immortalize?) the final count for the Class of 2019. If someone in not listed or mis-listed, please add or subtract as appropriate. I count 56 of us.

Alvin Tostig - Juneish
Pete10k - Feb.
Jimmie - June
Big_Hitter - Dec.
Mdlerth - Dec.
Out of - Steam - Sept.
Castaspey - Dec.
bUU - July
vipertom1970 - Sept.
Canoesmith - Dec.
X501 - Dec.
simple girl - Dec.
Octogirl - Dec.
O2Bfree- Aug.
BigMoneyJim - Oct.
Downtown - Sept.
Finance Dave - Jan.
Fireup2020 - Oct.
Carpediem - July
Backpacker - Aug.
1242Vintage - May
kfsinc - June
Bruno - July
Sturbridge - June
bushpilot - June
ER Eddie - June
pullin - June
Lawrencewendall - June
freedomatlast - June
ChiliPepr - June
atmsmshr - June
Glide77rocks - Apr.
NXR7 - May
Shabby - June
CindyBlue - June
Perryinva - June
garyt - May
Montecfo - May
Old Crow - Aug.
Kabowest - June
LRDave - Apr.
EastWest Gal - Apr.
YakGrl - Apr.
cantfindmyglasses - Mar.
FI50 - Mar.
SALTedOut - May
Line Dawg -June
lakerunner - Apr.
Osprey - Feb.
fishvt - May
retiresumtime - Apr.
camfused - Jan.
GR111 - Jan.
chrisaukcam - Feb.
like2 - Mar.
Canoeboy - Jan.
Venturer-July

Congrats everyone! That’s over one retirement per week average for 2019. I hope everyone is enjoying themselves. :dance:

Hello Fellow Classmates! Hope everyone is doing fine. Figured I'd just do an update. Tomorrow marks my 9-month Anniversary. Last years spending was within the range expected. 2020 YTD is actually below annual projected.

Started 401k distributions under "Rule of 55" and made an annual conversion to a ROTH up to the top of the 12% bracket. The taxes on the distributions (mandatory 20%) should just about cover taxes on the conversion (no taxes).

Took in an Adult House Mate (HM), Brother of DIL, who has Asperger/seizures. Been busy getting DW, HM and myself to DRs appointments, cooking meals, taking care of household chores (cleaning and laundry) and the dogs and cat. Would not be able to do that very well if I was still w*rking.

Haven't found my groove yet. Practically haven't gotten ANYTHING done around the house but it sure is nice waking up without an alarm clock and sitting on the deck with the dogs, surfing the internet and drinking my morning coffee until I feel like coming inside.

I still fuss over my numbers almost daily, wondering if I made the right call. Even with what's going on in the markets, numbers still say I can't spend it all. I even funded DS's ROTH for 2019, booked 3 suites with airfare to Aruba this summer (does this belong in the "Blow That Dough thread"?) and funded 6k to investments (401k distributions not really needed).

Weather is decent so I need to get the garden prepped and start my seedlings. Just wanted to check in. I hope everyone is doing well.

Sounds like you are doing retirement right! :D

Started 401k distributions under "Rule of 55" and made an annual conversion to a ROTH up to the top of the 12% bracket. The taxes on the distributions (mandatory 20%) should just about cover taxes on the conversion (no taxes).

Curious about this... does that mean that with the Rule of 55 you were required to take a minimum of 20% out or does that mean you have a mandatory tax of 20% ?

Assume its the former, wondering if this is specific to your former employers plan or an IRS rule?

The future seldom turns out like we expect

Hello Fellow Classmates! Hope everyone is doing fine. Figured I'd just do an update. Tomorrow marks my 9-month Anniversary. Last years spending was within the range expected. 2020 YTD is actually below annual projected.

Took in an Adult House Mate (HM), Brother of DIL, who has Asperger/seizures. Been busy getting DW, HM and myself to DRs appointments, cooking meals, taking care of household chores (cleaning and laundry) and the dogs and cat. Would not be able to do that very well if I was still w*rking.

Haven't found my groove yet. Practically haven't gotten ANYTHING done around the house but it sure is nice waking up without an alarm clock and sitting on the deck with the dogs, surfing the internet and drinking my morning coffee until I feel like coming inside.

I still fuss over my numbers almost daily, wondering if I made the right call. Even with what's going on in the markets, numbers still say I can't spend it all. I even funded DS's ROTH for 2019, booked 3 suites with airfare to Aruba this summer (does this belong in the "Blow That Dough thread"?) and funded 6k to investments (401k distributions not really needed).

Weather is decent so I need to get the garden prepped and start my seedlings. Just wanted to check in. I hope everyone is doing well.

Fellow check-in here. So far, retirement has not turned out like I anticipated.

My first Sunday night of retirement, 5 January 2020, my beloved wife had a bad tumble and broke her right arm and leg. Spent until Wednesday in hospital, trying to figure out why she fell; apparently blacked out with no warning. The next two months I spent tending her round the clock.

The good news is that now she's able to walk again unassisted. She can bathe and dress herself. And as of this past week, she can drive a car again.

Still no idea what caused her to hit the deck. After the whole alphabet soup of EKG, EEG, MRI, etc., the medical establishment found nada. It's nice that they searched for the usual suspects of tumors and clots and fibrillation and seizures, and she's clean on all that. Not so nice that we're going to live under the threat that it may happen again with zero warning.

But she's mostly mended, so now - finally - I can begin migrating toward MY plan. After two months of accomplishing nothing, I've started to get back into an exercise regiment, started fixing some bits and bobs around the house that had gone waiting, and we are resuming the odd "fun" activity. I'm getting more sleep, compensating for five decades of sleep deprivation, which makes me feel surprisingly better throughout the day.

The current market turbulence isn't making me worried so much as it's pi$$ing me off. It's beyond ridiculous: the prospects of giant companies don't change by +/- 5% every d@mn day. Whoever is contributing to it, whether panicky small investors or program-driven fund managers, needs to chill: have a beer, get a massage, go for a hike, get your freak on, whatever it takes to calm you down.

I have no idea what our spending has been. There have been some extraordinary costs associated with DW's injuries, but I don't know how much. We still are on her employee health insurance, and undoubtedly maxed out the yearly out-of-pocket in the first two days.

One curious guilty pleasure has been to hear from my former co-workers that, shortly after my departure, the senior management of my old employer lost its collective mind. The company has rapidly gone from Harvest Mode to Burn-and-Pillage. Competent folks are being thrown overboard with reckless abandon. Jack Welch may have departed, but his spirit reaches out its claws from the Other Side to possess gullible corporate executives. It looks like I escaped the SS Megacorp in the last seaworthy lifeboat. It's a shame for the good people left behind (as well as anybody unfortunate enough to still own the stock) but I say daily prayers of thanks that I'm out of it.

Curious about this... does that mean that with the Rule of 55 you were required to take a minimum of 20% out or does that mean you have a mandatory tax of 20% ?

Assume its the former, wondering if this is specific to your former employers plan or an IRS rule?

Distributions are taxed at 20%, conversions are not taxed. I'm in the 12% bracket so the 20% mandatory tax almost covers the entire conversion/distribution.

Last edited:
Checking in! We are just a little over 2 months retired. DH is loving it (and me too!). We are thoroughly enjoying lots of home time right now, relaxing on our lanai, doing home projects, etc.

The market downturn of late certainly has our attention, but we aren't freaking out. We planned for this...hopefully we planned well enough! :D

Sorry, I really didn't answer your question. There is no mandatory distribution requirement. I could let it ride if I wanted but I do need some of it to live. There is a mandatory 20% tax on the distribution though.

Just checking in again. This self isolation is no different than the last 10 months for me. I am a true introvert. Liquor store, pharmacy and Walmart grocery pick up. I had already calculated a drop in the market (SORR) and its effect on me and so far, things are ok. How's everyone else doing?

been playing a LOT of golf and doing a LOT of yard work

march was a little nerve wracking when my liquid stash (50/50 ish with cash) took a 20% dip but volatility is volatile

I had to get a molar extracted in early April - great timing huh? Dental insurance didn't want to cover the general anesthesia so I called and complained.

Well we are loving retirement and trying not to worry too much.

It's out of our control. Glad we have 3 years of expenses in cash. I do have concerns that may not be enough, though, now that we have retired at maybe the worst time in history possible? Who knows. All I know is we are not fretting too much, yet! And we are feeling very thankful for all that we have, and for the position we are in, compared to many, many others who are suffering greatly right now.

Distributions are taxed at 20%, conversions are not taxed. I'm in the 12% bracket so the 20% mandatory tax almost covers the entire conversion/distribution.

I think the poster was referring to withholding on the distribution being 20%. The tax liability is different and will vary from taxpayer to taxpayer.

Hey everyone!

I did a lot of travel and a ton of relaxing after retiring last May. I returned from my last trip the first week of March, just in time for Covid shutdowns.

We have stayed healthy, as BigHitter said, lots of yardwork, even more relaxing, grilling, wakking, biking and visiting with friends and family (recently at social distance).

As far as the market volatility, my cash moat is King

Now planning my first trip since March here in a couple of weeks.

My best to all!

Our big trip that was planned for last year was put off to this year because of an accident we had. Now because of the covid it is doubtful that we will get to have it this year either. We have a camping trip coming up next Mon, 5/18 because that is the day the COE campgrounds will be reopening. We had 4 reservations starting in March that were canceled because of the closings. As soon they were canceled I just extended our dates out and remade some for later.This upcoming one is the 1st one not canceled. I'm so looking forward to going and just sitting by the campfire,watching the lake ,and hiking the trails with our DGD who is 8 and loves to camp with Meema & Papa! Y'all have a good day!

Today is my one year FIRE anniversary.

Financially I'm up about 10.5% from 6/1/2019 so I'm happy about that especially considering the past 3 months.

I had a work sponsered retirement party at one of my favorite restaurants. About 40 close work friends, clients, spouses, good food and wine. Everyone had a good time and all were very jealous that I did not have to wake up Monday morning.

I've gotten use to sleeping until anywhere from 7:30-9:00 and waking up when I'm ready. Alarm is hardly ever set and if it is its because I've either got a tee time with someone who likes to play early (Sundays) or I'm running with my running club (Saturdays). It's funny that I'm now up earlier on the weekends than weekdays.

In August we moved my youngest daughter to DC to start her job. It was the first time I had been in DC in a while and we enjoyed doing all the touristy stuff without me having to check my email and sneak off to respond to an urgent client matter. It was very relaxing.

Over the summer and fall I played golf several times a week and ran or worked out the other days. I trained harder for a local 1/2 marathon and set my 6th PR in a row, breaking through the 2 hour barrier at 1:55.

My wife and I went to Hawaii and spent a week on Oahu and a week on Maui. it was both our first times in HI and we throughly enjoyed ourselves. We drove all around both islands, went to more beaches than I can count, ate fantastic food, and had some great hikes and tours. This was in late January/early Feb. It was very strange because the Covid outbreak was hitting its stride in China. We were in Honolulu over the Chinese New Year and I'd guess that 60%+ of the tourist in Honolulu were Chinese, all wearing masks. My wife and I did not know enough at the time to know we should be worried. All worked out fine.

For the past 3 months we have been laying low. About the only places I've been are the grocery store and Target for food and supplies. The past month or so I've ordered curbside each Saturday at various local restaurants just to support them a little. I know it's not enough but it's all we are comfortable doing right now.

I've kept up my running and working out as it's helped keep me sane. I've changed from going to the local park/path to run as it got way to crowded and social distancing was not possible. The streets in my neighborhood are pretty empty mid morning so I've been taking advantage of that. Hitting about 20 miles a week which is good for me.

I did start playing golf again a few weeks ago. Its nice to get back on the course even if there are no handshakes or high fives.

So the first year has been good overall even with the strange events of the past 3 months. Considering I could still be sitting in an office (or more likely working from home) I'd take my new FIRE life any day.

Next step after the Corona virus eases up and a vaccine is found is to find some volunteer work to do for few 1/2 days a week. I had started looking into options but its all be put on hold for now. I'm in no hurry (for anything).

FIRE'ed June of last year also. With the change of lifestyle (Thanks Covid!) have been able to squirrel a little bit away each month. Things appear to be on track. Good luck to all.

Today is my one year FIRE anniversary.

Financially I'm up about 10.5% from 6/1/2019 so I'm happy about that especially considering the past 3 months.

I had a work sponsered retirement party at one of my favorite restaurants. About 40 close work friends, clients, spouses, good food and wine. Everyone had a good time and all were very jealous that I did not have to wake up Monday morning.

I've gotten use to sleeping until anywhere from 7:30-9:00 and waking up when I'm ready. Alarm is hardly ever set and if it is its because I've either got a tee time with someone who likes to play early (Sundays) or I'm running with my running club (Saturdays). It's funny that I'm now up earlier on the weekends than weekdays.

In August we moved my youngest daughter to DC to start her job. It was the first time I had been in DC in a while and we enjoyed doing all the touristy stuff without me having to check my email and sneak off to respond to an urgent client matter. It was very relaxing.

Over the summer and fall I played golf several times a week and ran or worked out the other days. I trained harder for a local 1/2 marathon and set my 6th PR in a row, breaking through the 2 hour barrier at 1:55.

My wife and I went to Hawaii and spent a week on Oahu and a week on Maui. it was both our first times in HI and we throughly enjoyed ourselves. We drove all around both islands, went to more beaches than I can count, ate fantastic food, and had some great hikes and tours. This was in late January/early Feb. It was very strange because the Covid outbreak was hitting its stride in China. We were in Honolulu over the Chinese New Year and I'd guess that 60%+ of the tourist in Honolulu were Chinese, all wearing masks. My wife and I did not know enough at the time to know we should be worried. All worked out fine.

For the past 3 months we have been laying low. About the only places I've been are the grocery store and Target for food and supplies. The past month or so I've ordered curbside each Saturday at various local restaurants just to support them a little. I know it's not enough but it's all we are comfortable doing right now.

I've kept up my running and working out as it's helped keep me sane. I've changed from going to the local park/path to run as it got way to crowded and social distancing was not possible. The streets in my neighborhood are pretty empty mid morning so I've been taking advantage of that. Hitting about 20 miles a week which is good for me.

I did start playing golf again a few weeks ago. Its nice to get back on the course even if there are no handshakes or high fives.

So the first year has been good overall even with the strange events of the past 3 months. Considering I could still be sitting in an office (or more likely working from home) I'd take my new FIRE life any day.

Next step after the Corona virus eases up and a vaccine is found is to find some volunteer work to do for few 1/2 days a week. I had started looking into options but its all be put on hold for now. I'm in no hurry (for anything).
nice update. a lot of similarities here. miss the long distance travel, but have added more stuff locally-- the beach 1.5 hrs away and anything we can drive easily in a day. keeping fit, it's been 3 years of retirement and i see it as my mission to collect as many pension checks as active working years checks. got 27 years to go. cheers

I was looking for something else yesterday in my desk and came across a set of papers I had printed off in May from my 401k. It was the balances and allotments in it. That was transferred to Wells Fargo. I kept searching and found the balances that I transferred from WF to Fidelity. I had lost around 20k. I have just pulled up my Fidelity account and must say I'm pleased with the difference today. I have not followed the ups and downs to stringently but even with the covid and goings on I am currently up from my previous total high in all over all monetary values by around $80k & that includes money taken out to buy DW a new Hylander Hybrid. Now we haven't got to do the traveling we had planned yet but I'm more confident that we will be ok when all this junk clears out we will be able to resume our "dreamretired life" Just wanted to say thanks to several here for the suggestions on how we should proceed back then.;-)

I suppose I need to be added to the Class of 2019 as well. I lost my job with Mega Corp in June 2019 and took some time off. Fortunately our financial position has allowed me the flexibility to make the decision that I am not going to return to work. I have throughly enjoyed these last 7 months doing a fair amount of traveling and working around the house. No more OMY for me. Congrats to all that made it to FIRE and to those working diligently in the pursuit.

I thought I would give an update on our Class of 2019 retirement. We did a fair amount of travelling immediately after retiring with several trips originally planned for this year as well. As with most people our travel plans evaporated this year but we chose to use the down time to work on our 18 year old house and give it some much needed updates. Currently working on painting the entire interior and then onto bigger and better upgrades. We are trying to put this down time to good use and I am a fairly good handyman so I have been able to accomplish everything to this point on my own and with my wife's assistance. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. It is cheaper than a gym membership and I can see the results. I have always been frugal anyway so I guess this is just an extension of my being frugal :)

Feeling more comfortable lately

I thought I would give an update on our Class of 2019 retirement.

Like Pscott, I thought I'd provide a one year update. For most of the last year, I thought I would likely go back to work. There seemed to be a "Groundhog Day" element to life, especially after COVID started.

I'm just a few weeks past the one year mark, and am suddenly feeling more settled. My wife and I are finding some new activities, I've stopped my slow weight gain of the past year, and have returned to a couple of old work habits to organize my personal life.

I have applied for a few jobs, but am not doing more unless something really grabs my interest. A good friend said it took him a year to decompress, and he seems to have a point.

Last edited:

"All worked out fine"

Well funny story, my wife donated blood a month ago and her antibody test came back positive. So at some point between February and September she had Covid. Since I spend every day with her I likely had Covid as well. We don't know if it was from this Hawaii trip or something else and we will never know. But she has her first plasma donation set up. I can't donate blood or plasma as I had hepatitis when I was younger.

With the current unknown of how long the antibodies last and whether you can catch Covid again we are not really changing anything we do and still laying low.

"All worked out fine"

Well funny story, my wife donated blood a month ago and her antibody test came back positive. So at some point between February and September she had Covid. Since I spend every day with her I likely had Covid as well. We don't know if it was from this Hawaii trip or something else and we will never know.

I'm far more interested in the result of an antibody test than an immediate COVID test as I was in the New York City area in mid-March.

I haven't had any illnesses that would make me suspect COVID, but do wonder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom