Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
The young folks in her area probably think "What a sweet, harmless, little old lady". :LOL:

Those were the days.......(60's) Hope she doesn't get the coronavirus, or even the flu (actually making it to 80, which is surprising).

Outside of the cities, some villages have taken matters into their hands and set up barricades to lock out outsiders.

This has been reported earlier, but I just saw some proofs. The video was taken Jan 28, which as almost 1 week ago.

A man dropped dead in the street in Wuhan. It could be a heart attack or a stroke, but with the pervasive fear, people were afraid to approach.

Putting Coronavirus into perspective with Flu in the US...taken from "Healthline".

"The flu has resulted in 9.3 million to 49 million each year in the United States since 2010. Each year, on average, five to 20 percent of the United States population gets the flu.
It is estimated that the flu results in 31.4 million outpatient visits and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year.
During the severe 2017-2018 flu season, one of the longest in recent years, estimates indicate that more than 900,000 people were hospitalized and more than 80,000 people died from flu.
Additionally, as of late October 2018, 185 pediatric deaths had been reported to CDC during the 2017-2018 season.

Putting Coronavirus into perspective with Flu in the US...taken from "Healthline".

"The flu has resulted in 9.3 million to 49 million each year in the United States since 2010.
...more than 80,000 people died from flu.

Do the math. 80,000 / 9,300,000 = 0.0086

Current COVID-19 [mod edit] Virus deaths are over 5%. When you do the math right. 100 deaths today need to be compared to the number of infected people ON THE DAY THOSE DEAD PEOPLE CONTRACTED THE DISEASE.

So 100 deaths today compared to say 100,000 cases today is NOT the correct math. They contracted it a couple weeks ago, when there were only 10,000 cases.

At this moment:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

427 / 20680 = 0.21 with wrong math. But still, compare to 0.0086.

Last edited by a moderator:

The global response, shutting down borders, quarantines, etc., is not really about how bad the new virus is or how many it has infected (though as stated before the mortality rate is much higher than the flu, at least 10x). The response is meant to contain and hopefully eliminate the virus altogether. They were able to successfully eliminate SARS (no new cases since 2004). They're hoping to do the same with the new virus.

The alternative is the new virus will continue to indefinitely circulate worldwide just like the flu does now, with a much higher mortality rate to boot.

One step closer to understanding the virus and developing a vaccine https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-reaches-crucial-step-in-fully-sequencing-novel-coronavirus

Scientists at Public Health England (PHE) have fully sequenced the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) viral genome.
./.
The new sequencing in the UK cases illustrates that so far the virus has not evolved to better infect humans since the sequence was first published by China.
./.
This is a crucial step in helping us understand this virus. Genome sequencing means that we can see where it came from, how it’s developing and determine the interventions that aid treatment.

It appears that many are sick who cannot be cared for at home but do not need an acute care bed.

It appears that many are sick who cannot be cared for at home but do not need an acute care bed.

Probably thrown out by the neighbors with no place to go... It's happened before with virulent diseases.

Probably thrown out by the neighbors with no place to go... It's happened before with virulent diseases.

I think its a little more "scary police state" than that. There is a twitter video floating around showing several suited up policemen fighting an unwilling "patient" who clearly is not enthused about being shoved into a van and hauled off to quarantine/prison/crematorium.

I think its a little more "scary police state" than that. There is a twitter video floating around showing several suited up policemen fighting an unwilling "patient" who clearly is not enthused about being shoved into a van and hauled off to quarantine/prison/crematorium.

:nonono:
There are so many things that China does that scare me.

Wuhan is apparently desperate enough that they are trying to set up makeshift hospitals in stadiums and other public buildings: https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-sports-stadiums-makeshift-coronavirus-hospitals-2020-2?IR=T

This is not surprising if we compare the number of beds in the two newly built hospitals to the number of newly confirmed cases reported in the same 10 days that the hospitals were built. It was a real feat that the Chinese can be proud of, but it is still not enough. Scary to think about it.

And then, on top of that, it is widely suspected that the number of patients and also of the dead are under-reported.

Well, I, for one, am getting prepared. I've found what worked during the Black Plague is good enough to work today and ordered up this off Amazon;

It is an authentic Plague Doctor suit. Guaranteed to keep me from getting the latest plague, guaranteed. I can't wait to go pick up the grand kids from school next week...

The beak of the mask was to be stuffed with aromatics, such as dried roses, herbs, spices, camphor, etc... to keep away the bad smells of dead people, which was thought to cause the disease.

Even though medieval people did not know about bacteria and viruses, they knew that the disease was contagious. When the Mongol army was laying a siege to the port of Kaffa in Crimea, it catapulted diseased dead corpses over the city walls in order to infect the inhabitants.

Now, that's scary.

Another cruise ship is quarantined off the coast of Yokokama, when it was found that one of the passengers tested positive for coronavirus.

In other news, Australia flew the Australian evacuees from China to Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean to quarantine them for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
In other news, Australia flew the Australian evacuees from China to Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean to quarantine them for 2 weeks.

An all expenses paid beach vacation. Nice!

^^^ If they allow you to be anywhere near the water, instead of being confined in a detention center. See the condition of the housing in the article below. Eh, beggars can't be choosy. The evacuees could just stay behind in Wuhan. :)

On the other hand, the Australian government initially thought of charging evacuees A$1000 each, but changed its mind and made the trip and housing free.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...fter-first-night-on-christmas-island/11927300

A BBC interview of a family in Wuhan battling the Coronavirus and unable to get medical help: ‘We’d rather die at home than go to quarantine’

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, my uncle has already passed away, my father is critically ill and my mum and aunt have started showing some symptoms.

My dad has a high fever. His temperature was 39.3C (102F) yesterday and he's constantly coughing and having breathing difficulties. We got him an oxygen machine at home and he relies on that machine twenty-four seven....There's no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn't been confirmed due to the lack of testing kits.

In Wuhan, there are many quarantine points to accommodate patients who have slight symptoms or are still in the incubation period.

There are some simple and really basic facilities there. But for people who are critically ill like my father, there are no beds for them.

There are many families like us around, all facing the same difficulties...Resources are limited yet the infected population is huge.

This reports lends credibility to those who say the number of cases in China may be far more than what is being reported.

Last edited:
There are currently 11 confirmed cases in the US. However, I read that the CDC is struggling to test a couple of hundred of suspected cases. The test involves converting RNA of the virus into DNA and sequencing that.

If the CDC is having a tough time, how does China test and confirm so many of its patients?

And by the way, the number of confirmed cases is now 24,515 worldwide, with 24,303 in China.

Even spookier, there have been multiple cases where a suspected carrier is tested, the test comes back negative, days later they show symptoms, and when they are retested they come up as positive.

Even spookier, there have been multiple cases where a suspected carrier is tested, the test comes back negative, days later they show symptoms, and when they are retested they come up as positive.

I thought that is similar to (my limited understanding) of HIV, where the count gets so low that it's not really detectable and non-transmissionable (statistically speaking), but it's not actually gone, and without drugs will come back in time.

Or like how shingles is really a reactivation of the measles virus that lies dormant in our bodies for decades.

A BBC interview of a family in Wuhan battling the Coronavirus and unable to get medical help: ‘We’d rather die at home than go to quarantine’

This reports lends credibility to those who say the number of cases in China may be far more than what is being reported.

This family is sick, and gets no treatment because hospitals are full. An uncle died before being seen by any doctor or nurse. The father is critically ill, and the mother and aunt start showing symptoms.

I am sure nobody bothers to test for coronavirus on these people. Heck, they are not even seen by any doctor or nurse. And who is going to bother with a virus test on someone who's aready dead, if you are busy helping people still breathing?

We thought the quarantine point my dad and uncle went to was a hospital at the beginning, but it turned out to be a hotel.

There was no nurse or doctor and there was no heater. They went in the afternoon and the staff there served them a cold dinner that evening. My uncle was very ill then, with severe respiratory symptoms and started losing consciousness.

No doctor came to treat him. He and my dad stayed in separate rooms and when dad went to see him at 06:30 in the morning, he had already passed away.

How many sick and dead people are not counted in the official numbers that we are told?

Last edited:
I thought that is similar to (my limited understanding) of HIV, where the count gets so low that it's not really detectable and non-transmissionable (statistically speaking), but it's not actually gone, and without drugs will come back in time.

Or like how shingles is really a reactivation of the measles virus that lies dormant in our bodies for decades.

Chickenpox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom