Dealing with 'stuff'

A guy on our street has a Corvair running, and it looks like his next project is a Karmann Ghia.

What a glutton for punishment...

OldAgePensioner said:
In 2001 a batchelor 45 year old coworker in England died of a heart attack.  He was (like me) a bit of a recluse and when the management went to clear his apartment they found nearly 20 years of magazines like Readers Digest, TV Guide, National Geographic, etc.

My boss said the police (English) were asking if it was OK to pose for a photo shoot.  The magazines were evidently stacked neatly by year, in 4 ft. high stacks and covered two spare bedrooms.  There were little pathways.  My boss said they all just stood there privately wondering about the guy's sanity.

He seemed very much your normal person but .....

OAP,

The bulk of the old magazines were collected by my late wife.  She collected everything including stray dogs.  I am now the proud owner of 50 years of her collecting.  She had a thing about keeping stuff.  I think it was due to her early childhood and the personal issues she endured during that time.  It took me 9 months to clean out her clothes from the house.  I could have started my own store...many still had the sales tag on them while others were clearly many many years old. 

I have my own stash of old electronic stuff and of course hand tools from four generations of guys plus my own stuff. 

I'm not crazy......really! :uglystupid:

SteveR, no offense intended.
I'm probably overly (rabid) about getting rid of my own things because my family has done the kind of collecting that you describe.

Sometimes, I just look at their houses and think why. But that's for them to decide. Not me. I don't pretend to know why, I just know I want to lessen my load.

Good luck with sorting out what you want and what you have been burdened with.

Things are sometimes a gift and sometimes a curse. I'm trying to decide which I have.

My mother still groans when we bring this up. :p

About 20 years ago a friend of hers died, and the husband and semi-retarded daughter continued to live in an increasingly cluttered house.

One day the old man finally had enough and told the daughter to sell as much stuff as she could at a garage sale. "Including all your mother's old junk in the display cabinet".

She set everything up and shortly after daybreak told the father that the first shopper gave her $100.

"$5 each for mom's old figurines". :)

My mother who knew what they were and their value almost croaked when she found out.

They were 20 Royal Doultons, probably worth between $200 and $300 each at the time.

Imagine what the buyer thought when he first arrived? :eek:

Shame on them for taking advantage of the retarded daughter :-[

Always check half.com when selling books and magazines. No listing fees the listing is until they sell. My guess is that old sets of magazines will sell better as a "lot." Shipping would be expensive, so they might sell better on Craig's list which is localized and folks would come pick them up.

Back
Top Bottom