Do You Have a Cat Fountain for Your Cats?

Our cat drinks a lot of water. The tastiest by far is from a dribbling faucet in the bathroom sink...
Ours uses the tub as well. A prior cat used the sink.

Of course it is on demand so he has to ask. No filtered water for him!

Agree 100% with you Sarah. My cat stares me down if I am drinking a glass of water and LOVES when he gets to share the glass (cat owners will understand. . .I haven't died yet.) The bowl with fresh water changed twice daily goes untouched.
My cat shared my Caesar for many years but he must have heard about the danger of drinking because he stopped 2 years ago.

We have a cat fountain (not sure it makes a difference) and a heated throw that my cat and dogs love.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Same cat also RUNS to the bathroom when he hears the toilet flush. He just wants to see it all go down and that great swirl of water and slow refill! You can almost hear him exclaim AWESOME! COOL!
Sadly in my new digs I have an updated toilet--Toto--with the water saver quick flush. Just not the same; my poor, bored cat is very disappointed.

I never worried about buying a cat fountain. I add water to both my cats' wet food & dry food, so I don't worry too much if they are drinking enough water out of the bowl. One cat is now toothless, so they both had to get used to their dry food being wetted down. They don't seem to mind. I do have to wash their dry food bowl everyday though as the dry food residue will start molding within 48 hours.

Same cat also RUNS to the bathroom when he hears the toilet flush. He just wants to see it all go down and that great swirl of water and slow refill! You can almost hear him exclaim AWESOME! COOL!
Sadly in my new digs I have an updated toilet--Toto--with the water saver quick flush. Just not the same; my poor, bored cat is very disappointed.

It's so funny to see or hear about what makes our pets happy. They get so conditioned to certain stimuli. I try to pay attention to that and make their day with such things.

What? You're not going to change it out for him? How inconsiderate of you!:D

Nah. He's spoiled enough. And I kinda like the Toto.
Maybe I just like the name. Now that I think about it, Toto might be a good name for my next cat :)

Last edited:
Our 2 cats drink from all water sources available but no fountain. Only bowl, toilets, and sinks. Sometimes I put ice in their water bowl, they like that.

Our 2 cats drink from all water sources available but no fountain. Only bowl, toilets, and sinks. Sometimes I put ice in their water bowl, they like that.

Oh, absolutely! Not only fresh water, but a TOY in it!!! :dance:

My cats like their Drinkwell fountain. However, on more than one occasion I have returned to the dining room table to find Crystal squeezing her head into my glass of water for a drink. I guess she likes a challenge.

However, on more than one occasion I have returned to the dining room table to find Crystal squeezing her head into my glass of water for a drink. .
Better her head than her paw! I had to train our cats not to use their paw to determine water level. Now they use their tongue.

The cat fountain I ordered arrived. I think the fountain is a little top heavy so went ahead a built a stand. Now no way the cats can knock the fountain over. That was the easy part. The hard part is the cats treating the fountain as a water source and not thinking it is a space craft that landed. :facepalm:

Funny, how they paw all kinds of things, but have yet to test the water, literally.

Attachments

• f1.JPG
    f1.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 5
  • f5.jpg
    f5.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
But can you train the cat to flush? :LOL:

At the end of that page is this warning:
Do not teach your cat to flush. Although it is possible, once they learn, many seem to enjoy it and will do it all the time, even when it's not appropriate to do so as no business has been done.

At the end of that page is this warning:

I asked being totally sarcastic. :LOL:. Didn't know they can be taught to flush. I do see the warning as wouldn't surprise me one bit having a wise guy cat who loves the fun.

I asked being totally sarcastic. :LOL:. Didn't know they can be taught to flush. I do see the warning as wouldn't surprise me one bit having a wise guy cat who loves the fun.

Search youtube for "cat flushing toilet" and you'll get plenty of hits. One guy said he got an astronomical water bill because of the cat repeatedly flushing the toilet while he was at work.

Search youtube for "cat flushing toilet" and you'll get plenty of hits. One guy said he got an astronomical water bill because of the cat repeatedly flushing the toilet while he was at work.

That's laugh out loud funny. I'm just so glad that cats don't have thumbs. Think of all the more trouble they'd get into.

I knew a girl who taught her cat to use the toilet. It was disconcerting, to be honest.
Mine use an old fashioned box, or go outside!
I think flushing would be a terrible idea of something to teach cats. :)

Though I don't have conclusive proof, like a photo or video, I think my cats are drinking from the water fountain I got them. Clues are 1) I do see the water with bits of either kitty litter from them pawing the water (or this could be from the charcoal of the filter), 2) paw prints on the blue covering over the bowl (means they aren't totally ignoring the bowl and 3) measuring the water level, the level decreases about 1 cm in a 24 hour period. The decrease, I don't think water from a 60 oz bowl will evaporate that fast? The bowl is out of the sun.

Back
Top Bottom