Do You Like Living Alone?

Congrats. You are on your way to the next adventure in life.

Happily married for 46 yrs......but in fact, being alone doesn't bother spouse OR me.

He's an only child, so he's used to being alone. He likes it; even prefers it.

And I have lots of hobbies and friends I keep in touch with (even tho the lockdown means all of it's remote, rather than just 75% of it). So even if he disappeared there's never quite enough time to get everything done that I want to!

I cannot relate but I don’t think I would like living alone. Married to my best friend for 34+ years. Ups and downs but mostly ups. Good luck!

I was single for 8 years, married now for the past 34. I, for the most part, like being married. We are very compatible. On the other hand, if we weren’t, I would definitely have no problem being on my own, but I do see some negatives to that. In response to some of the other posts regarding pets.
I had a former neighbor get divorced and while living alone with his dogs(St. Bernards) he passed away. No one discovered him for over a week or two. In the meantime his dogs did eat him. True story!! Not something I’d like to happen to anyone.

Teacher Terry, I wish you the best. I’m thrilled to hear you got your condo!

Great news TT, hope you get your happy back in all things soon!..Good luck with your closing and moving.

Another thing: Some sort of code to open/unlock the front door. An elderly friend of ours recently fell and broke her leg. Dragged herself to her cell phone to call 911. Then dragged herself to the front door to unlock it for paramedics. I'm sure that was a lot of painful dragging, and might not have been possible for a lot of people, or if she fell further away from the door.

For anyone that's older (whether alone or not), look into getting a Knox Box for your home (check with your local Fire Dept). Your local Firefighters and EMS will have a key to the box which has a key to your home inside. We have one on our house, even though we're not "alone," we're each here alone at different times.

Congratulations, Teacher Terry. Everything does seem like smooth sailing so far and I hope that it continues.

Very happy for you TT. Congratulations on the condo and moving your life in a better direction. That takes a lot of guts.

I got the condo! It’s move in ready which is awesome. Usually I have to remodel before moving in. I am so happy:)).

So very happy for you. You’re my hero, if I ever have to go through something life changing like this, that I am as strong and determined as you are.

That was fast work! I'm glad you were able to resolve things so quickly and get on with your new life.

I was going to post in this last thread (closed) that in your situation, I believed that it was the absolutely correct decision for you (both on an emotional and practical level) to purchase a condo.

You know and love the neighborhood; maintenance is taken care of; it takes you into a new/fresh environment.

IMHO, you have handled the situation intelligently; equitably; efficiently; and with grace and dignity. :flowers:

I also look forward to hearing about your puppies' opinion of the new digs when you move in!

Thanks everyone for the support! I have never lived downtown but spent much time there going to restaurants, events, movies, etc. I will love walking right out my door and not having to drive. A few years ago a small grocery store went there and it’s been successful. So if I don’t feel like driving to get something I will walk there. I am a block from the walking path by the river. I used to drive there to walk the dogs. Really looking forward to coffee on my balcony when it warms up. Very excited!!

Congrats! I think you are going to be shocked at how relaxed and comfortable you are once you get settled in.

Thanks everyone for the support! I have never lived downtown but spent much time there going to restaurants, events, movies, etc. I will love walking right out my door and not having to drive. A few years ago a small grocery store went there and it’s been successful. So if I don’t feel like driving to get something I will walk there. I am a block from the walking path by the river. I used to drive there to walk the dogs. Really looking forward to coffee on my balcony when it warms up. Very excited!!

What date are you hoping to close, I'm guessing the sooner the better as far as you are concerned?

My husband could close as early as 2/9. The latest is 3/8. If the worst happens mine will close on the 11. If his closes early mine will close nearer the end of the month. His mortgage company has been taking 60 days because their rates are low and they are slammed. But we don’t need inspections or appraisal. We had a appraisal in April to refinance which was a total waste of money.

I didn't get married until I was 37 so I lived along for my younger adult life. Having been married since then there are advantages and disadvantages.

Things I liked:

1. No compromises. I could set the thermostat exactly where I wanted to. I could run the dishwasher when I wanted. I could arrange everything like I wanted to. Now -- in truth -- DH is pretty easy going so this isn't a big negative in living with him. But, even so, living alone you can do it all the way you want to do it without considering anyone else.

2. I often like being alone and enjoy quiet. I like concentrating on what I am concentrating on. I like solitude and quiet for much of the time. Again -- DH and I do pretty well on this. We each have our separate offices at home and we are both pretty quiet. So not a big issue. Still there are times that I am wanting quiet and DH decides to vacuum, etc.

3. The ability to make the sole decisions on how to spend money. If I want to save money by never buying X I can do so. If I want to splurge on Y because it is meaningful to me I can do that. Again -- DH and I get along pretty well on this. We largely have similar views. Still there are things he spends money on that I would never spend and so on.

Now the disliking part of living alone:

1. I am an introvert so don't have a ton of friends. But I do enjoy talking to people at times and DH is always there and we enjoy talking. Without him here, I would be more isolated and have less ability to just talk to someone about the events of the day, etc. Yes, I could do that through outside means to some extent but....introvert.

2. There are things I hate to do or can't do around the house that DH doesn't mind doing or knows how to do. He can go up to the attic and get the Christmas decorations. He can clean the cat spit up. He can help me to do that 2 person task that I could never do by myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom