Driving Question

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
You approach a street that has stop signs on both sides of the street. You are stopped and turning right. The car across from you is turning left, into the same lane. Who has the right-of-way?

A. the car turning right
B. the car that stopped first

and if both stopped at the same time?

Had a young thing take the left in front of me yesterday just as I was starting to turn (the lane was clear). I honked and got a one finger salute through her sunroof. :^)

/

In California, the first to stop (at a four-way stop intersection) has right of way. If you arrive simultaneously, you yield to the car to your right.

Vehicle Code 21800.

The safest way to look at this is - no one has the right of way.

The right of way is something that is given to the other person, like respect. And I do believe that the person turning left should have ceded the right of way to you. But if you try to 'take' the right of way, you may get hit. Better to let them be jerks than to deal with the aftermath of a fender-bender.

Do I do this graciously and calmly? Hell no!!!! I'm cussing and getting my blood pressure worked up over these idiots, and wishing I had a stun-gun!! :mad:

-ERD50

As a practical matter, B (first come, first served). If same, then A (the person turning right).

Legally, the one turning right has the right of way. But in these parts, it is the one with the biggest truck... :)

and if two big trucks, then the oldest and most beat up truck.

Though I could argue that an old, beater car trumps a new truck (unless the new truck owner doesn't care abut his truck, which is rare).

As a practical matter, B (first come, first served). If same, then A (the person turning right).

+1 although who got there and actually stopped first (someone usualy runs a stop sign a little) is often in dispute. Then default to your other post about the older, more beaten-up vehicle going first!

Legally, the one turning right has the right of way. But in these parts, it is the one with the biggest truck... :)

Or the beater with rust holes everywhere.

Had a young thing take the left in front of me yesterday just as I was starting to turn (the lane was clear). I honked and got a one finger salute through her sunroof. :^)
/
If they want to butt in I just let them go on their merry way, and would rather they be in front of me than behind. Life is too short and I'd rather get on with my day than spend it arguing over who is a fault in a collision.

Last edited:
In California, the first to stop (at a four-way stop intersection) has right of way. If you arrive simultaneously, you yield to the car to your right.

Vehicle Code 21800.
This.

Life is too short to get upset over this stuff... when in doubt, avoid a crash... so the bigger jerk has the right of way. Who cares if you arrive 5 seconds later because someone didn't yield.

If they want to butt in I just let them go on their merry way, and would rather they be in front of me than behind. Life is too short and I'd rather get on with my day than spend it arguing over who is a fault in a collision.

+10!!

I often think when I see an accident out on the road and am delayed that no matter what my day is far better than the people involved in the accident. Relax and enjoy life.

+1

/

At least she was paying attention and realized you were there.

Never mind pickup trucks, around here cyclists apparently always have the right of way as they never even slow down at intersections and often are riding on the wrong side of the road. Although I would always give them the right-of-way anyway, they rarely give me the opportunity to do so.

Thanks for the comments. I thought I had the right of way but wonder if they even teach that anymore (or much else). Agree it is better to be safe than sorry and not sweat it. At least she acknowledged me.

Back
Top Bottom