E-trikes

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody researched or purchased an E-Trikes:

https://emojobike.com/collections/trikes/products/emojo-caddy-pro

It comes with both a throttle and a pedal assist so you can customize exactly how you want to ride. If you are tired, just take a rest with the throttle and let the bike do the work for you. If you are looking for some exercise turn on the pedal assist and set the assist level to a power level that feels best for you. It has a max speed of 20 mph but you can go slower by using a lower level pedal assist.

Attachments

• EmojoCaddyProgeometryandsizing_902x902 copy.jpg
    EmojoCaddyProgeometryandsizing_902x902 copy.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just in time. Some of the Hell's Angels are getting on in their years.

Attachments

• Trike.jpg
    Trike.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 44
That's twice what I paid for my e-bike and 30 pounds heavier with a shorter range. That would only be good for someone who has balance issues and doesn't feel safe on a regular e-bike. Also someone who has a lot of money to spend.

No place in my Island neighborhood I'd feel safe riding one. Here at the homestead, it just might work. For YEARs, my mom rode an all-pedal trike back and forth to the family business (in good weather.) YMMV

This is my trike. It goes 25mph. I haven't fully tested the range but it's over 15 miles and probably 25. It's more that what I need to ride downtown and around. These list for about $3000 now. I got mine for $2000. I like having the basket and being able to carry things. It has a 750 watt motor and fat tires. When I stop I don't have to put a foot down. I can just hang out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2aki8j4fbuqxk5p/bIMG_2752.jpeg

Last edited:
I will be curious to see what you learn. I have been test riding some light weight step through ebikes and may buy one later this year or next. But I am curious about e trikes or three wheel recumbents because I have Parkinson’s and assume deteriorating balance will eventually counsel leaving two wheels behind.

I will be curious to see what you learn. I have been test riding some light weight step through ebikes and may buy one later this year or next. But I am curious about e trikes or three wheel recumbents because I have Parkinson’s and assume deteriorating balance will eventually counsel leaving two wheels behind.

I bought 2 entry level e-bikes in March this year and have had a great time with my SO and I riding in the local area. Mine were Heybike Cityscapes and cost was 829.00 each at NewEgg. I have not regretted the purchase. I am sure there are other great bikes out there, but some can get pricey. These run 20 mph in 3rd gear(electric gear) and have 7 gears for conventional riding mode.
If you want to get outside more, and have a good area to ride(bikepaths) then it works very well. No balance issues at this time.

VW

Interesting idea, but some basic issues occur. One is the legality of riding such a thing in a designated bike lane based on a mish-mash of rules for such things around the country. My sense is that in general if you have a throttle such that you don't have to peddle, then a lot of municipalities legally bar you from using bike lanes. And some bike lanes are relatively narrow, such that it could be challenging to pass pedestrians on mixed-use trails or bikes coming the other way --- much less if two such trikes tried to pass going opposite directions.

Another question is where you park it; with a regular bike I can often tuck in next to something when there's no bike rack provided at my destination. Are you parking these in regular car parking spots, or ... ?
Storing it at home could be an issue too --- just a wider footprint for storage.

And sometimes I have to ride my bike at the side of a regular road when there's no bike lane --- a trike would be wide enough that it sticks farther out in traffic than a 2-wheeled bike. Does one just ride in the middle of the road and force cars behind you to go your speed or pass? Or just expect that people will pass you as they can on narrower roads while you stick to the side? Drivers get impatient with this sort of thing where I live.

I DON'T mean to knock the idea --- as I age I'm sure I'll get to the point where I see the appeal. I'm just curious how one mitigates these various issues to make it viable. I live in a busy suburb of a busy city, so indeed, a more rural use might be great, insofar as there's sufficient range.

There are a lot of such "not quite standard" electric vehicles that are are neither fish nor fowl and so the rider has to sort of figure out what's okay, and sometimes risk getting pulled over and warned or cited anyway. Segways have a similar width issue. I sometimes ride an electric unicycle, which is also often in a sort of limbo in terms of whether you can take it on a sidewalk or in a bike lane w.r.t. various local rules. At least with the electric unicycle my width profile is no greater than I am when just walking.

I sometimes ride an electric unicycle, which is also often in a sort of limbo in terms of whether you can take it on a sidewalk or in a bike lane w.r.t. various local rules. At least with the electric unicycle my width profile is no greater than I am when just walking.

I'm afraid if I were riding a unicycle (electric or not) I'd be taking up way more than my body width - maybe the whole sidewalk - maybe the whole street!:blush:

I first started riding a trike when I was 3 years old. Over the years I have had many bikes from beach bikes to competition road bikes. I have even built a few as well as done all my own maintenance. Now it's 70 years later and I am riding a recumbent trike due to balance issues on two wheels. A recumbent trike has the two wheels up front and one wheel in back. This is the most stable design in trikes . Trikes that are set up with two wheels in back are very unstable going around corners unless you are going very slow. I won't even get on one. You can't break the laws of physics.

Cheers!

Our neighbor up the street from us recently got an e-trike similar to the one in the OP. He's in his 80's and a widower... it lets him run errands and go to visit friends. He's in pretty good shape for his age - walks the neighborhood also, but stores and stuff are more than a mile away. He had debated a golf cart - but chose this instead. Same rules apply here - only on roads with limits 35mph or less... but that fits our neighborhood and the roads to the two shopping areas in our hood.

A recumbent trike has the two wheels up front and one wheel in back. This is the most stable design in trikes . Trikes that are set up with two wheels in back are very unstable going around corners unless you are going very slow. I won't even get on one. You can't break the laws of physics.

I noticed as I was watching the Tour de France bike race this year there were a few motorcycles that were part of the race support crew that had two front wheels, suppose to offer better stability, never road one but looked pretty cool. Looked similar to the Yamaha Niken below.

Attachments

• yamaha niken.png
    yamaha niken.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 19
Trikes that are set up with two wheels in back are very unstable going around corners unless you are going very slow. I won't even get on one. You can't break the laws of physics.

I lean off to the inside of the corner but the back wheel still comes off the ground.

Interesting idea, but some basic issues occur. One is the legality of riding such a thing in a designated bike lane based on a mish-mash of rules for such things around the country.

Where I live they are making more bike lanes and encouraging electric bikes and biking in general. Mine eTrike isn't classified as a motor vehicle. I can ride it in bike lanes and I don't have any problems parking or anything. The chances of getting pulled over are about zero.

Where I live they are making more bike lanes and encouraging electric bikes and biking in general. Mine eTrike isn't classified as a motor vehicle. I can ride it in bike lanes and I don't have any problems parking or anything. The chances of getting pulled over are about zero.

Slightly off topic: Are your bike lanes used much? We (Honolulu) grabbed some Fed money and put in some bike lanes - taking a full lane out of whatever street was involved. Perhaps our busiest street went from 6 lanes of car/truck traffic to 5 with one bike lane. I use that street quite often as it connects to much of what I do (shopping, doctors, CPA, etc.) Even 5 years later, bike traffic is what I would call "minimal." However, when crossing the bike lane (for instance, to enter a parking structure or lot in mid block) it is all but impossible to see bikes coming - especially from the same direction of travel. There is an on street parking lane and that blocks the view of bikes. Thus there have been close calls (do not know if accidents) but I am paranoid and simply look for a place on the street if at all possible to park rather than cross that lane. Slowing enough to adequately look for bike traffic prior to a turn then backs up traffic in your lane. So far, I would call it a lose-lose for cars and win-lose for bikes. (IOW bikes have a beautiful new lane, but it's dangerous as all get out. It "looks" safe, cause bikes "seem" to have the lane all to themselves, but, in fact, cars do still cross that lane and can not see the bikes.)

I'm not anti-bike. But I have come to the conclusion that bikes and cars don't mix. Most bikes do not obey traffic rules. I understand not wanting to stop for stop signs and red lights once momentum has been achieved. I also understand that a big advantage of a bike is it can zip in and out of "blocked" or slowed traffic, making a bike much faster than most traffic on major streets. BUT, those practices can be problematic.

If we started from a clean slate, there might be a way to separate bikes and cars. As it is, it is dangerous for bikes and problematic for drivers. Also, it doesn't seem to reduce traffic as there are too few bikes even after 5 years of experience.

So, just wondering about other places which are doing the Fed money thing. What has been your experience as YMMV?

^^^^^^

Oh, and I forgot. Bikes do not look for pedestrians who have just exited their cars at on street parking. DW and I were nearly hit by a bike last time I went to my CPA. Now, one could say (correctly) that crossing any "street" one must carefully check for traffic. But (as bikers know) people do not see bikes - especially us old people who move so slowly that by the time we've reached mid bike lane, the bike that was 150 feet away is on top of you (what happened to me). I DID look both ways, but was helping DW cross and lost focus mid lane. We were moving very slowly and the bike was easily doing 20mph. DW was in the midst of one of her bouts of arthritis and could barely walk. YMMV

Slightly off topic: Are your bike lanes used much? What has been your experience as YMMV?

My experience is similar to what you say. The lanes are not used much. They are used by tourists and fun riding, not commuters. The city removed a car lane and made the main downtown street one way in the center of town. There are some ackward transitions where the bikes have their own stoplight and have to cross the traffic lane. See the linked photo. Before I realized this situation I almost ran into a car that was turning left while I was riding my trike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbhglef6tfs17p1/IMG_3326.jpeg?dl=0

Oh, and I forgot. Bikes do not look for pedestrians who have just exited their cars at on street parking.

The city changed how the bike lane flows. As you can see from the picture at the link it is against the curb. The cars are parking more in the street. They had to put up these flexy poles to keep the cars from parking in the lane. It's all kind of wierd.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu8ez7yt9iazn7v/IMG_3175.mp4?dl=0

The city changed how the bike lane flows. As you can see from the picture at the link it is against the curb. The cars are parking more in the street. They had to put up these flexy poles to keep the cars from parking in the lane. It's all kind of wierd.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu8ez7yt9iazn7v/IMG_3175.mp4?dl=0

Looks like your system was planned a bit better than ours. I'm sure we'll kill a bike rider soon. It's inevitable. Then the poor driver who couldn't figure out how to navigate the system will be in deep trouble. Feel sorry for both the bike folks and the drivers. Fed money is irresistible.

Slightly off topic: Are your bike lanes used much? We (Honolulu) grabbed some Fed money and put in some bike lanes - taking a full lane out of whatever street was involved. Perhaps our busiest street went from 6 lanes of car/truck traffic to 5 with one bike lane. I use that street quite often as it connects to much of what I do (shopping, doctors, CPA, etc.) Even 5 years later, bike traffic is what I would call "minimal." However, when crossing the bike lane (for instance, to enter a parking structure or lot in mid block) it is all but impossible to see bikes coming - especially from the same direction of travel. There is an on street parking lane and that blocks the view of bikes. Thus there have been close calls (do not know if accidents) but I am paranoid and simply look for a place on the street if at all possible to park rather than cross that lane. Slowing enough to adequately look for bike traffic prior to a turn then backs up traffic in your lane. So far, I would call it a lose-lose for cars and win-lose for bikes. (IOW bikes have a beautiful new lane, but it's dangerous as all get out. It "looks" safe, cause bikes "seem" to have the lane all to themselves, but, in fact, cars do still cross that lane and can not see the bikes.)

I'm not anti-bike. But I have come to the conclusion that bikes and cars don't mix. Most bikes do not obey traffic rules. I understand not wanting to stop for stop signs and red lights once momentum has been achieved. I also understand that a big advantage of a bike is it can zip in and out of "blocked" or slowed traffic, making a bike much faster than most traffic on major streets. BUT, those practices can be problematic.

If we started from a clean slate, there might be a way to separate bikes and cars. As it is, it is dangerous for bikes and problematic for drivers. Also, it doesn't seem to reduce traffic as there are too few bikes even after 5 years of experience.

So, just wondering about other places which are doing the Fed money thing. What has been your experience as YMMV?

For a different perspective on this, spend some time in a big European city that has gone all-in on bike commuting --- I've done so in both Amsterdam and Vienna, as pedestrian and as biker.

It takes some mental adaptation, but IMO it's a fantastic system when people get used to it. As a pedestrian crossing a street in Amsterdam, you look both ways crossing multiple flows of bike and car traffic. But you can adapt, it's just a matter of tuning expectations. As a biker in, say, Vienna, the major bike lanes are flat out bike freeways, you don't stop in the lane for a second, you keep your speed up and recognize that people aren't just out for recreational biking, they're mostly going somewhere, just like the cars.

There are a whole lot of U.S. bike lanes that aren't well thought out in one way or another, yet in general still great to see them expand. I think there can be a sort of tipping point where you have a sufficiently extensive network of such lanes and of sufficient quality that a biking culture and mentality can emerge. Do it sort of half-heartedly and you get a tepid response, and conclude thereby that "people don't want to bike".

In my area the type of "bike lane" I dislike most are the sort of pretend kind where the city seems to be just going through the motions in order to be able to claim a larger network of lanes or something.
They paint a stripe by the side of the road --- often on just one side of the road --- that's marginally wide enough for a bike but doesn't leave one feeling terribly safe as the cars zoom by very close to you. And they include in this narrow lane a pavement transition with a sort of crack and slope so that it's tricky to ride in the lane. And of course various types of road debris all gravitates into it, sometimes in substantial amounts. There's an example of this not far from me on a high traffic road where cars go at significant speed. I just ride on the sidewalk if I have to use that road, the "bike lane" is just insufficient.

Another thing about bike lanes in even very bike-friendly U.S. cities is that they can be great if they happen to get you near where you want to go, or if you're just out riding for recreation. If you're using your bike for basic transportation, however, I find they almost always come up short --- to get to a particular business or shop or service you end up on an extensive stretch where you're on a sidewalk or biking a busy road with too little space between you and the cars. Or forcing yourself out into the lane, thus annoying/angering the drivers behind you.

Super! Nice to hear. So may I ask where you do park an eTrike at various types of places you might go to? I think I could do so at my doctor's office off to the side in the parking garage, or my dentists just off in the grass locked to a tree. I'm not sure where I would do so at my local grocery store, or library or similar.

I presume that your bike lanes are fairly wide, or that they go on both sides of the road? I just don't see two eTrikes passing each other in a typical bike lane. Other than wide, off-road multi-use trails an eTrike would completely fill most bike lanes I'm familiar with.

Where I am, the general rule I think is that a "pedelec" type of eBike is allowed in bike lanes --- pedelec means that the bike will only move if you're pedaling. I.e., no throttle. Of course, with a beefy motor, one can set the effort level to pedal quite low, but still --- some effort is required.

Thanks for the feedback.

For a different perspective on this, spend some time in a big European city that has gone all-in on bike commuting --- I've done so in both Amsterdam and Vienna, as pedestrian and as biker.

IIRC, Amsterdam has sidewalk areas that are reserved just for bikes, no cars and not even pedestrians should be on them. And it has a pretty good mass transportation system. The bike parking area at the train station is amazing. Literally tens of thousands of bikes parked there so people can take the train in, ride their bike to and from work, then take the train back home, leaving their bike at the station's bike lot.

That is far different than most American cities. Our leaders talk about wanting to promote bikes but they can't or won't see it as a system. In many cases it is just to expensive. And they leave obstacles all over the place to easy Amsterdam style biking.

For example, the main roadway near my house lost one of four lanes to put in two bike lanes. But the bike lanes are filled with debris that falls from the trees lining the street, or junk tossed from cars, or the thorny black berry shoots that grow out in the Spring and threaten to scratch the legs of bikers and tear at their clothing. Not so good. Did I mention my city has a lot of hills? Steep hills. Compare that to flatland places like Amsterdam.

It's a lot more complicated than people like to think.

Super! Nice to hear. So may I ask where you do park an eTrike at various types of places you might go to?

I presume that your bike lanes are fairly wide, or that they go on both sides of the road?

Where I am, the general rule I think is that a "pedelec" type of eBike is allowed in bike lanes --- pedelec means that the bike will only move if you're pedaling.

I park where I can see the bike when I am inside. I park on the sidewalk and lock it to a light pole or something. I go to a couple of little local markets and a couple of bars. For general shopping I take the car. Leave the bike out too long and people with pickup trucks and lock cutters will see it.

The bikes lanes are about as wide as my trike but they are dual lanes and mostly across the street from each other.

My trike has 7 pedal gears and 5 assist settings. It has a throttle that I often use, but by having pedals it is a bike regardless of the throttle.

The rules here are if it is 750 watt and under, goes 25mph and under and has pedals, it's a bike. I ride about 15mph in the bike lane a lot of the time. I only go faster if I am in the traffic lane and traffic is light.

By the way where I live in Reno DUI applies to motor vehicles. The police have even stated in a newspaper interview that they won't give a DUI to scooters and bikes.

Now you could get a reckless if you went wild and that's why I keep it cool.

Did I mention my city has a lot of hills? Steep hills. Compare that to flatland places like Amsterdam.

Agreed on all counts, but I would add that my eBike effectively flattens out those hills. I can recall planning out routes to get to local places to limit extra up-and-down hill work and/or to avoid the steepest hills, but now I pick my routes to be traffic+stress minimal, safety maximal, regardless of pitch.

I did a fair bit of biking in rural Netherlands and Belgium, not just in cities. Flat like Florida, except of course not at all like Florida :). Catch was that sometimes the wind would come up such that you felt like you could use some eBike support anyway !

Back
Top Bottom