E-trikes

For a different perspective on this, spend some time in a big European city that has gone all-in on bike commuting --- I've done so in both Amsterdam and Vienna, as pedestrian and as biker.

It takes some mental adaptation, but IMO it's a fantastic system when people get used to it. As a pedestrian crossing a street in Amsterdam, you look both ways crossing multiple flows of bike and car traffic. But you can adapt, it's just a matter of tuning expectations. As a biker in, say, Vienna, the major bike lanes are flat out bike freeways, you don't stop in the lane for a second, you keep your speed up and recognize that people aren't just out for recreational biking, they're mostly going somewhere, just like the cars.

There are a whole lot of U.S. bike lanes that aren't well thought out in one way or another, yet in general still great to see them expand. I think there can be a sort of tipping point where you have a sufficiently extensive network of such lanes and of sufficient quality that a biking culture and mentality can emerge. Do it sort of half-heartedly and you get a tepid response, and conclude thereby that "people don't want to bike".

In my area the type of "bike lane" I dislike most are the sort of pretend kind where the city seems to be just going through the motions in order to be able to claim a larger network of lanes or something.
They paint a stripe by the side of the road --- often on just one side of the road --- that's marginally wide enough for a bike but doesn't leave one feeling terribly safe as the cars zoom by very close to you. And they include in this narrow lane a pavement transition with a sort of crack and slope so that it's tricky to ride in the lane. And of course various types of road debris all gravitates into it, sometimes in substantial amounts. There's an example of this not far from me on a high traffic road where cars go at significant speed. I just ride on the sidewalk if I have to use that road, the "bike lane" is just insufficient.

Another thing about bike lanes in even very bike-friendly U.S. cities is that they can be great if they happen to get you near where you want to go, or if you're just out riding for recreation. If you're using your bike for basic transportation, however, I find they almost always come up short --- to get to a particular business or shop or service you end up on an extensive stretch where you're on a sidewalk or biking a busy road with too little space between you and the cars. Or forcing yourself out into the lane, thus annoying/angering the drivers behind you.

I would believe Europe has figured this out as they have used bikes a lot for 100+ years. When I was there in 1964, most cities had more bikes than cars. Every tree had a bike chained to it. A big thing back then (maybe still) was a tiny 2 cycle motor that drove one of the bike tires. The rider could peddle and then drop the motor onto the tire and boost speed. 20 mph on city streets on a bike would frighten me, but was quite common. Cars and bikes seemed to instinctively mix as nearly as I could see. My gut tells me folks didn't so much LIKE riding bikes but it was an economic necessity as most folks at the time could not afford cars. SWAG is that is still true but YMMV.

Biking in Europe is a completely different experience than here. Way more enjoyable.

I’ve been biking for years and have recently decided to stop biking on roads. There was a recent biking fatality in my neighborhood - in an area I bike around a lot - and that wasn’t the first one. I’ve had a couple of close calls with aggressive drivers in the past. It’s not worth it.

From now on, I’m going to stick to trails or roads with very few cars.

Back
Top Bottom