Electric Vehicles - Models Discussion

A new Lucid model has arrive, the 2025 Lucid Gravity.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-lucid-gravity-first-look-review/

Sorry, I have no idea what happened to 2024. The price is under $80k, so pick up a spare one to park at the family cabin.

Has not arrived yet. Production scheduled to start at the end of 2024, so 2025 deliveries. I'm going to hold judgement until it's actually available, but from what I've seen, I like it better than the Air. Announced pricing seems more reasonable, but we'll have to see if it holds.

I like the optional front bench seat so you can go "front-gating" at your next football game.

No, seriously, I like the idea of the bench seat.

I saw this post on X with info on range loss in EV's and also a comment that ICE cars also lose gas mileage in cold weather.

Unfortunately the Tesla models in that chart are so old the ranges shown are way outdated (very low). Plus we now have a far more efficient heat pump.

Interesting about ICE cars losing significant range as well.

Our new grandchild…

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.54.52 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.54.52 PM.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.55.10 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 6.55.10 PM.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Awesome! The new pricing on those Model Ys are such a great deal.

BTW, if you are planning to add the Homelink module, you could consider DIYing it. It's supposedly a fairly simple project... Almost plug-and-play. Saves $150-200 too.

What is a Homelink module?

Allows you to activate regular garage door openers from the screen, or automatically based on geolocation (opens as you approach or close as you leave). Can even trigger it from your phone app. They used to be standard on all Tesla vehicles, but in recent years, 3 and Y didn't get them as standard and it wasn't an option you can add when ordering the vehicle -- only after delivery... It's like $350 from Tesla and includes installation. You can pick up a module for <$200 on eBay and self-install then activate it on the screen in Service Mode.

Allows you to activate regular garage door openers from the screen, or automatically based on geolocation (opens as you approach or close as you leave). Can even trigger it from your phone app. They used to be standard on all Tesla vehicles, but in recent years, 3 and Y didn't get them as standard and it wasn't an option you can add when ordering the vehicle -- only after delivery... It's like $350 from Tesla and includes installation. You can pick up a module for <$200 on eBay and self-install then activate it on the screen in Service Mode.

So what happens if you leave and want to keep the garage door from closing? Can you manually tell the software to not close the door?

HW4? Are the additional cameras worth the wait? We are on a waitlist to test drive the Y when HW4 is available and are still waiting for the call.

So what happens if you leave and want to keep the garage door from closing? Can you manually tell the software to not close the door?

Yes. There's a "skip" button. As you approach or leave your garage, you'll get a pop-up counting down in feet (or meters, I assume) of the impending Homelink activation and the skip button is right there. They've changed the look and location of the pop-up over the years and it also varies with the UI based the various screen sizes and layouts across the model lineup. Here's how it looks in one instance:

homelink-reverse-screen.jpg

In the settings you can also disable the auto-open and/or auto-close independently per location.

Forgot to mention that if you summon the car while it is parked inside your garage, it is supposed to open the garage door and wait for it to open before it backs out of the garage. I have never had a need for this nor do I dare to try this.

Forgot to mention that if you summon the car while it is parked inside your garage, it is supposed to open the garage door and wait for it to open before it backs out of the garage. I have never had a need for this nor do I dare to try this.

Wait. Cars back out by themselves now? Are the sensors and lawyers THAT confident of random kids and such nowadays?

Yes. There's a "skip" button. As you approach or leave your garage, you'll get a pop-up counting down in feet (or meters, I assume) of the impending Homelink activation and the skip button is right there. They've changed the look and location of the pop-up over the years and it also varies with the UI based the various screen sizes and layouts across the model lineup. Here's how it looks in one instance:

View attachment 47720

In the settings you can also disable the auto-open and/or auto-close independently per location.

Thanks, nice feature!:cool:

Wait. Cars back out by themselves now? Are the sensors and lawyers THAT confident of random kids and such nowadays?

Not really "now." Tesla's summoning feature was released almost a decade ago... ~2015. Ultimately, the owner is still responsible for monitoring and for any damages. If you are monitoring your vehicle during summoning, you can see a child behind/in-front of your vehicle better from the outside of the vehicle than within, so really no one should be running over random kids.

HW4? Are the additional cameras worth the wait? We are on a waitlist to test drive the Y when HW4 is available and are still waiting for the call.
HW4 rolled out sporadically on Model Y in April, was more common than HW3 in June, and our local Service Center hasn't seen a Model Y without HW4 in a LONG time. Mine has HW4 as did every single other MY on both their lots. The cameras are a lot sharper, but the updated HW4 autopilot ECU board is even more important than the cameras IMO - 3x the neural net performance among other benefits.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Tesla models in that chart are so old the ranges shown are way outdated (very low). Plus we now have a far more efficient heat pump.

Interesting about ICE cars losing significant range as well.

I followed the link to the Dept of energy in that was in the tweet. ICE vehicles can be up to 33% less efficient on short trips in the cold and 2/3 of the extra energy consumed is for cabin heating. Seems like a heat pump should help.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/fuel-economy-cold-weather

And now for the rest of the story:
https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/fuel-economy-cold-weather

"
Cold weather effects can vary by vehicle model. However, expect conventional gasoline vehicles to suffer a 10% to 20% fuel economy loss in city driving and a 15% to 33% loss on short trips.
The effect on hybrids is typically greater - with fuel economy dropping about 30% to 34% under these conditions. For hybrids, fuel economy typically decreases by 20% to 40% in city driving and 25% to 45% on short trips.
For electric vehicles (EVs), fuel economy can drop roughly 39% in mixed city and highway driving, and range can drop by 41%. About two-thirds of the extra energy consumed is used to heat the cabin. When the cabin heater is not used, EV fuel economy is 8% lower at 20°F than at 75°F. Driving range is about 12% lower."
"
Why Winter Fuel Economy is Lower

Cold weather affects vehicles in more ways than one might expect:

• Engine and transmission friction increases in cold temperatures due to cold engine oil and other drive-line fluids.
  • It takes longer for an engine to reach its most fuel-efficient temperature. This affects shorter trips more, since a vehicle spends more of a short trip at less-than-optimal temperatures.
  • Heated seats, window defrosters, and heater fans use additional power.
  • Warming up a vehicle before starting a trip lowers fuel economy—idling gets 0 miles per gallon.
  • Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on a vehicle, especially at highway speeds.
  • Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance.
  • Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends.
  • Battery performance decreases in cold weather, making it harder for the alternator to keep the battery charged. This also affects the performance of the regenerative braking system on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles.
In severe winter weather, mpg can drop even further.

• Icy or snow-covered roads decreases the tire's grip on the road, wasting energy.
  • Safe driving speeds on slick roads can be much lower than normal, further reducing fuel economy, especially at speeds below 30 to 40 mph.
  • Using four-wheel drive uses more fuel." "

Tire pressure drop is a "biggie"
As aside, ICE engines make lots of heat, either dump it via the radiator or heat the cabin. Great use of waste heat.

Last edited:
HW4 rolled out sporadically on Model Y in April, was more common than HW3 in June, and our local Service Center hasn't seen a Model Y without HW4 in a LONG time. Mine has HW4 as did every single other MY on both their lots. The cameras are a lot sharper, but the updated HW4 autopilot ECU board is even more important than the cameras IMO - 3x the neural net performance among other benefits.

Thank you. Our color choice is the same as yours!

If you’ll forgive a tangent, for those here with EVs regularly using one-pedal driving.

I’m finding I’m getting used to one-pedal driving very easily, and I like it. My fear is when I occasionally drive DW’s hybrid, I’ll “forget” I have to brake for myself. Any insights from those who’ve been down this road?

I’ve rented several ice cars since and automatically adjust to two pedals. Don’t even have to think about it.

Besides even in the Tesla if it’s not slowing as fast as I want I automatically press on the brake. Don’t do this often, but the automatic reaction is there.

Another automatic switch is yolk versus steering wheel.

Things I do have to adjust to:
  • Things on stalks - turn signals and wipers.
  • Oh no I have to start the engine.
  • I have to manually shift gears to drive/reverse.
  • Oh cr@p I have to turn off the engine when I park.
  • push button on fob to lock/unlock.

The turn signals on stalks is the toughest one to get used to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom