Elon Musk's Starlink Satellite Internet

I put down an order today even though they don't expect to be operational in Norway until 2023. I'm happy to pay the $99 now when they currently send terminals to Ukraina.

We used to have DIRECTV. Does anybody know if I could mount the dish in that old location and then with the wiring which is coax work with Starlink?

You can reuse the mount if you still have it (which is what I did). But the cable is a special POE (power over ethernet) cable which is directly attached to the dish. That will need to be run into the house to connect to the power brick and their router or your own router.

Yes, I read that the cable that comes attached to the antenna has to be used the way it comes. The cable is 100 ft, and if it's too long you just coil it up.

The cable end does cause some complications when you need to feed it through walls.

It is said that Starlink for RV is deprioritized in congested areas, meaning fixed home users will have priority over RV users. During periods of heavy usage, RV users will have their data bandwidth cut. They are in effect 2nd-class citizens. And that's why you can buy it now with no waiting.

I guess RV'ers who boondock out in the West will not have this problem.

Last edited:

I have a Starlink dish (residential) and have packed it up for camping. In the past roaming was enabled by default and I had very little issue although sometimes after a location change it would take some time for the dish to reconnect. Now I'm paying an extra $25 per month for the same service and the same caveat about de-prioritized service applies for residential with "portability' enabled when not at your primary address. We'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom