Gas engine powered water pump help

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I been trying to find some help on operating/installing a hand jack or water well jack using a small gas engine.

I would like to pump some water from a shallow water well and would like to use a gas engine.

If anyone has any experience or can help with information or where to purchase a system using a gas engine would be great.

Probably not what you are looking for but I bought one of these last year to pump out a couple of ponds. Works great... The discharge rate looks like the water is coming out of a fire hose.

6822_15796_600.jpg

Last edited:
A gas powered pump would be fine, but you'll have to be there to start the engine--and cut it off.
I stayed at a place in the Amazon that just pumped out of the river into a big elevated tank and started the engine whenever the tank ran dry. Could do something similar. A small pump like this should work with a well point.

Car-Guy yep, I have one of those I use in the crick for trees and even for irrigating the small alfalfa field.

Bamaman, that wouldn't be a problem. Looking for an installation for a hand pump jack or a well jack using a gas engine. This will be in a remote area and would be able to just install and leave gas engine and pump in place. I would just build something cover it keep out of weather.

My two cents. You will need to know what the head height is, which is the height the water will be pumped. You will also need to know what volume of water you will need, usually expressed in GMP.

If a pump you are looking at says it will pump 200 GMP look and see what the difference is if you need to lift it to your desired level.

The info on the pump should have a breakdown of the lift vs GPM.

Error on the side of too much water rather than too little.

Most also have a flat discharge hose not a typical connection NPT connector to what ever you plan to store the water in.

You may have regulatory water right issues also.

We have a irrigation well that can pump 1200 GPM and is highly regulated. Our domestic water well is far less regulated. YMMV.

I'm sure I missed several things that will come to me later but hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.

As an after thought, if you could describe what you are trying to do and what the distance in feet you are trying to get the water to pump to would help. A "shallow well" could be entirely different depending on what you are referring to. Our cabin in the Colorado mountains was 2700' deep and our domestic well on the farm is 200' deep and our irrigation well is 80'. 10' or 20' can be a big difference on what you would need.

Last edited:
if it has much depth at all, I would be tempted to use an electric submersible pump and generator. It is hard to pull water very far but easy to push it anywhere with a submersible pump.

One hundred years ago you could have found what you need, but now the gear box you will need is an antique and modern engines run at a higher rpm. How important is keeping the pump jack in place?

Another thought and depending on what your needs are, a solar powered well pump may be the better choice if your volume is low enough. We use them to replace windmills to water cattle.

One hundred years ago you could have found what you need, but now the gear box you will need is an antique and modern engines run at a higher rpm. How important is keeping the pump jack in place?
Yes, you got the idea of what I'm going to try to achieve.

Pulleys will in series with smallest at engine shaft and big at pump will slow down rpms. It may take a small pulley to big pulley than small to big pulley again to get it to a hand jack speed RPM.

I have water level at 16 feet and have the hole 1 1/2 hole bored already.

16' is not a problem to pull. I can get a trash pump to lift that far easily. We do that for construction.

If you find an antique tractor show there are usually stationary engine restorers that collect that kind of equipment and might have help for a solution for your needs. I hope you did not haul off what you need when you were getting the scrap iron off your BTD ranch property.

If you find an antique tractor show there are usually stationary engine restorers that collect that kind of equipment and might have help for a solution for your needs. I hope you did not haul off what you need when you were getting the scrap iron off your BTD ranch property.

I hope not either. Lol I did save many items and I do have a few old hand cast well pumps. Yes, I'm going to do some checking and looking for one but you would think you could find something that is made now that would do the same thing. Thanks.

B-Guy, no this will not be for drinking. I would use the water for trees.

Trash pumps I'm pretty well familiar with them. Max is 25 feet and I use one all the time.

I could use a jet pump and haul a generator there all the time and get what I needed. I don't want to do that and would rather pump water with the handle than to have all that equipment to do the little bit I would use it.

I have a few good gas motors with a side shaft type that I could use.

I'm sure it would. I have a trash pump but not looking to try to make one work in this application. A trash pumps a lot of water in a short time. From a shallow well with 1 1/2 inch pipe the well may not have the amount of water for a trash pump. I'm wanted to use a well jack that is on the same principal of a hand pump for drawing water from a well. That was the way people got water from their wells. Than electricity came to the country side and people than install an electric motor on these same pump jacks. A couple of pulleys and water was drawn from under ground with out hand jacking to get water to the surface. I'm looking to do that type of system but using a gas motor.

Aereomotor windmills use the action that pumps water the way you want. You should look around for that gearbox or maybe a whole new BTD deal with a brand new one.

Aereomotor windmills use the action that pumps water the way you want. You should look around for that gearbox or maybe a whole new BTD deal with a brand new one.

Yes, I would of thought I could find a gear box that would be made today for applications like that. There are so many off grid people it would be a ideal system for them. There still is a lot of stock pumps in my country that still have a system like the old windmill gear box at their stock tanks run on an electric motor now.

I never had the opportunity to own a well with only 16' depth, but out of curiosity looked on the Web and saw something like this.

My guess is someone still makes and sells this.

hqdefault.jpg

I never had the opportunity to own a well with only 16' depth, but out of curiosity looked on the Web and saw something like this.

My guess is someone still makes and sells this.

hqdefault.jpg

Exactly!!! Yes, I would think that some place some where they would make something like that. Thanks NW.

So many simple things like that we have lost through time. That piece of equipment right there does the same job done as the new fancy pumps today. Lol
Now just to find something like that.

Well, I spent 15 minutes looking around and have not found anyone selling something like that.

These gears may be antique and worth a lot of money now, and can be sold for a lot of money.

PS. Did not see above post by Jimbee.

Back
Top Bottom