Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

Id love to know the back room deal that took place. How much money did LIV funnel to the PGA where they just couldnt say no anymore? Must have been a staggering amount considering the PGA has done nothing but bashed LIV from the jump. Wonder if old man Jack will change his tune. LIV golfers dont even exist to him anymore.

Guess you can have your cake and eat it too. This is a monumental win for LIV.

It's called sports washing and simply money over principle, happens every day. The PGA sold out and the PGA players who stayed loyal to the PGA got screwed. The guys who signed with LIV are laughing their arses off all the way to the bank.

It's called sports washing and simply money over principle, happens every day. The PGA sold out and the PGA players who stayed loyal to the PGA got screwed. The guys who signed with LIV are laughing their arses off all the way to the bank.

Yep. I'm done with pro golf.

Id love to know the back room deal that took place. How much money did LIV funnel to the PGA where they just couldnt say no anymore? Must have been a staggering amount considering the PGA has done nothing but bashed LIV from the jump. Wonder if old man Jack will change his tune. LIV golfers dont even exist to him anymore.

Guess you can have your cake and eat it too. This is a monumental win for LIV.
Didn't take long. All the execs are falling in line, like Jack. I'm pretty much over Jack anyway (for reasons Porky wouldn't allow here)...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...nicklaus-reacts-to-pga-liv-merger/ar-AA1ccNkY

Last edited:
Amazing how fast this came about, both by PGA Commissioner Monahan statements and fact that LIV’s first tournament was barely a year ago, June 9, 2022.

The way the PGA players look reminds me of the old joke - short version - after being offered immortality, total knowledge or unlimited riches and choosing knowledge, stares blankly ahead and says “I shudda took the money”.

Sounds like there won’t be immediate playability between all tours without the LIV guys enduring fines or loss of payments.

Monopoly schmonopoly.

Wonder how much Monahan's new worth will be going up in the next few years ? This deal was not about growing the game as much as covering the PGA's future financial woes. Monahan's name will forever be synonymous with "sold out" or maybe "cashed in" depending on your perspective.

The bottom line is Saudi money won. They have a big financial and leadership stake in the PGA now, that makes me sad. What it means for players and fans probably won’t be known for a long time, but by October. Monahan should be dismissed but he’ll probably come out smelling like a rose. Looks like Norman will be on the outside looking in, though sitting on a pile of $$$. :LOL:

The Saudis have cleverly bought their way into Premier League, Formula 1 and now the PGA. It won’t be soon but I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a way into pro football, baseball or basketball. Sport washing is highly profitable aside from the PR benefits…

Last edited:
LIV has been very innovative with the shotgun starts, team feature and 54 holes (LIV?).

[Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
LIV has been very innovative with the shotgun starts, team feature and 54 holes (LIV?).

[Mod Edit]

I agree LIV has certainly mixed up the golf world. Not sure if they have anything that is better in the long run, except maybe allowing shorts and making spectator ambiance more fun.

Shotgun starts are nice for live fans to give them something to watch early in the day, but terrible for TV viewing and creating any suspense at the end.

Teams seem to only benefit players with another way to make money. Names are stupid. We be interesting to see if tennis and bowling take up the team concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
New to the board, and this thread.

Playing my first roind of golf tomorrow in has to be 3 plus years. Hope I remember how to do it.

New to the board, and this thread.

Playing my first roind of golf tomorrow in has to be 3 plus years. Hope I remember how to do it.
You will. I laid off for 15 years, and didn’t lose much when I came back to the game.

Like many pursuits, golf is easy to play, but devilishly hard to be really good at. Getting from 80 to 90% is probably harder than from 0 to 80%. Only pros make a dent in that last 10% above 90%. [Numbers just an illustration]

Last edited:
Oof. I figured out the last time I played was August 2019. My buddies who kept score told me I barely broke 100 but I don't think that's right. It did come back pretty quickly. We walked the course, 4 and half miles. I have to cull some stuff from my bag to make it lighter. Just noticed I was carrying 2 umbrella's, a ball retriever and 3 dozen golf balls.

My biggest issue was lifting my head on 5 or 6 shots, otherwise everything went pretty much straight. Walking the course is hard work or great excercise, depending on your view point. time for a beer.

Great sport for exercise. Since retirement 2 yrs ago I play 3 to 5 times per week. Walking is great but Texas heat is limiting. It’s a social sport so treat it as such. Improvement in your game is between you and the course. You decide your progress. It has been nice to work on my swing after 50 years nOw that I have time. Taking a lesson once retired was nice because I could work it in.

LPGA PGA Championship had a starting field of 156 golfers and the cut left ONLY 25 for round 4? Why not ~ 60 -70 ? Last year was 71 players playing Sat/Sun? For 3rd round there were 79 players and they cut field for 4th to 25 players playing threesomes? Doesn't seem fair?

LPGA PGA Championship had a starting field of 156 golfers and the cut left ONLY 25 for round 4? Why not ~ 60 -70 ? Last year was 71 players playing Sat/Sun? For 3rd round there were 79 players and they cut field for 4th to 25 players playing threesomes? Doesn't seem fair?

Not sure about that. Leaderboard shows the cut at T78 - so more than 78 players.

https://www.kpmgwomenspgachampionship.com/leaderboard

Last edited:
LPGA US Women's Open @ Pebble Beach

DW & I were able to drive down to Carmel for a little golf, both playing and watching. As an NCGA member, we often get great offers to play high end courses in Cali. I played with three buddies @ Spyglass & Spanish Bay, and DW played @ Pacific Grove. Through NCGA, the greens fees for Spyglass & SB are about half the rack rate; plus, we got free tickets to the LPGA US Women's Open. So, DW played the first day and watched the LPGA the second day. It was a bit breezy but, the weather overall was decent. Very nice three days. :D

^^^^^ Sounds like a great trip. What's the playing rate at Pebble Beach these days? Last time I was in the area was 8 years ago and they wanted ~$600, would imagine they want a lot more now.

^^^^^ Sounds like a great trip. What's the playing rate at Pebble Beach these days? Last time I was in the area was 8 years ago and they wanted ~$600, would imagine they want a lot more now.

Don't know. I've heard that a stay is required to get a tee time so, that makes the trip cost 4-figures. We played Spyglass & Spanish Bay (also "Pebble Beach Links" courses managed by the same company) for $225 & $175 per golfer. It was fun but, both courses can be punishing.

Stay Hydrated!

I fainted momentarily on the #9 tee yesterday - never happened before, a little scary. I dropped out to make sure it wasn’t anything more serious, but it appears I was really dehydrated, compounded by other factors. Bottom line: especially when it’s hot, hydrate more than you think you need. Having to pee often beats fainting.

I get dehydrated more easily than most people, learned that getting dehydrated while boating. I’m an active 69 yo. Yesterday I didn’t have much breakfast, I had a small shot of bourbon (3/4 oz?) on #1 and #3 (a birdie tradition in my Fri foursome), it was very hot and I didn’t start drinking half strength Gatorade until a couple holes in. Briefly felt very dizzy/lightheaded a couple times on several holes and started drinking lots of water & Gatorade after #5 but it was too late. After I fainted it woke me back up and a cold towel helped a lot. My buddies were spooked understandably. Once I cooled down I was OK. I usually have at least 70 ounces of half strength Gatorade when I play on hot days.

Stay Hydrated!

I fainted momentarily on the #9 tee yesterday - never happened before, a little scary. I dropped out to make sure it wasn’t anything more serious, but it appears I was really dehydrated, compounded by other factors. Bottom line: especially when it’s hot, hydrate more than you think you need. Having to pee often beats fainting.

I get dehydrated more easily than most people, learned that getting dehydrated while boating. I’m an active 69 yo. Yesterday I didn’t have much breakfast, I had a small shot of bourbon (3/4 oz?) on #1 and #3 (a birdie tradition in my Fri foursome), it was very hot and I didn’t start drinking half strength Gatorade until a couple holes in. Briefly felt very dizzy/lightheaded a couple times on several holes and started drinking lots of water & Gatorade after #5 but it was too late. After I fainted it woke me back up and a cold towel helped a lot. My buddies were spooked understandably. Once I cooled down I was OK. I usually have at least 70 ounces of half strength Gatorade when I play on hot days.

Glad to hear you are OK.

The last time I played when it was 102 F out, I had 84 ounces of Gatorade over the 18 holes. But this is Texas and it's hot a lot of the time.

There are many iced drinking water locations along the courses here in south Texas. We are used to it.

The temps and heat index here in SE Tennessee and NW Georgia hit triple digits last week and later tee-times mean you better hydrate before, during and after rounds. I freeze two bottles of water with liquid IV powder in them the night before playing and let them thaw during the round. Not unusual to go through those two, plus two bottles of water in addition to a big bottle of Gatorade. No alcohol for me in this type of weather while playing unless I want a throbbing headache. Glad you're OK Midpack, be careful there.

Back
Top Bottom