Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

I'm a full-fledged geezer wuss. I haven't played golf in 2 weeks due to the heat. I simply lose interest in the game. When I was young I would play in any heat but no more.

I'm a full-fledged geezer wuss. I haven't played golf in 2 weeks due to the heat. I simply lose interest in the game. When I was young I would play in any heat but no more.

I notice that there is less activity on the courses around here since it's 100+ F every day. That just gives us 70+ year old guys a chance for better tee times!

Stay Hydrated!

I fainted momentarily on the #9 tee yesterday - never happened before, a little scary. I dropped out to make sure it wasn’t anything more serious, but it appears I was really dehydrated, compounded by other factors. Bottom line: especially when it’s hot, hydrate more than you think you need. Having to pee often beats fainting.

Glad you're okay. My general rule of thumb is that on hot days I need to drink enough that I need to pee at least every 2-3 hours. That's not based on any science that I know of, but I figure it's in the ballpark.

Nice to see a Georgia DAWG, Brian Harman win the Open this weekend on a course that required accuracy as opposed to tracks where you have to bomb it 325+ yards on every par four or five. Harman put on a virtual putting clinic all week. Drive for show and putt for dough comes to mind. Harman's excessive waggles on almost every shot was a bit distracting but if that what it took, so be it. Congrats Mr. Harman.

Nice to see a Georgia DAWG, Brian Harman win the Open this weekend on a course that required accuracy as opposed to tracks where you have to bomb it 325+ yards on every par four or five. Harman put on a virtual putting clinic all week. Drive for show and putt for dough comes to mind. Harman's excessive waggles on almost every shot was a bit distracting but if that what it took, so be it. Congrats Mr. Harman.
+1. I never paid much attention to Brian Harman, but he won in a very convincing fashion this week. Shot lights out Thu & especially Fri and solid golf on the weekend, against the best in the world, a very tough course and horrible weather today. When he faltered with a bogey a few times, he came right back with a fearless birdie in short order. Well deserved win.

I was disappointed to hear some in the crowd were saying “unrepeatable” things to him throughout including today. I thought the Brits were better than that. But the did recognize Harmon properly when he got to #18 and during the trophy presentation.

I can’t remember seeing so many top pros miss putt after putt by inches. Young, McIlroy, Rahm, Straka, Day, Scheffler and several others had so many great putts that just didn’t go in. It was odd.

Majors rarely disappoint, great to watch!

Last edited:
Joke Of The Day
Bob was an excellent golfer. He hit the ball a mile. The only problem was he was losing his vision and could never find his ball.
One day upon complaining about his predicament, his wife said, “Take my dad with you, he has eyes like a hawk.”
“Are you crazy?” Bob said. “Your dad is 88 years old.”
“That may be true, but he can still see for miles,” she responded.
Bob figured it’s worth a try, so the next day Bob went out to play golf with Jack, his father-in-law.
On the first tee, he crushed his drive and as usual, had no idea where it went.
“Jack, did you see that drive?” Bob asked.
Jack said, “Sure did! Saw it land, bounce three times and come to a stop”
Bob thought that this was going be great. They jump in the cart and Bob said, “OK, Jack, where is it?”
Jack looks at him with a blank stare and said, “I forgot.”

Joke Of The Day
Bob was an excellent golfer. He hit the ball a mile. The only problem was he was losing his vision and could never find his ball.
One day upon complaining about his predicament, his wife said, “Take my dad with you, he has eyes like a hawk.”
Bob figured it’s worth a try, so the next day Bob went out to play golf with Jack, his father-in-law.
Bob thought that this was going be great. They jump in the cart and Bob said, “OK, Jack, where is it?”

Thanks! I passed this along to my seniors group of "golfers".:)

Thanks! I passed this along to my seniors group of "golfers".:)
I did too. One of my golf buds said that’s a little too close to home!. :LOL:

New bats, though I fully realize they won't make me any better. But it still feels like a kid at Christmas even after all these years… :blush:

Attachments

• 82D4E0EB-A58A-4B09-A376-E259DA306FC6.jpeg.707c952498fbc668a2bb392565bd8e85.jpeg
    82D4E0EB-A58A-4B09-A376-E259DA306FC6.jpeg.707c952498fbc668a2bb392565bd8e85.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
How to get rid of my slice.

I was sick last year and didn’t golf. Prior to that, I wasn’t a good golfer but I was able to break 100 most of the time. This year I’m closer to 110 and struggling.

One of the main things I’m struggling with is my slice. I’ve never been a good driver, but I was able to keep it in play a lot better that I’m doing now. In working on my slice, it’s clear that I’m not getting my club face closed. I’m doing better at swinging on line to even a bit inside out, but the struggle with closing the face is messing up my drives in ways I’ve never had to deal with.

I’m thinking about some type of coaching. Wondering if there’s anything that you could recommend. I just don’t see me getting under 100 again if I can’t get off the tee consistently. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nice sticks Midpack and using the latest technology clubs surely won't hurt your game. Earlier this year I bought a new set Callaway DCB Apex irons and a new Scotty C. putter and shot my career best of 77. In addition, I've actually played nine in one under par, for another career first.

I’m thinking about some type of coaching. Wondering if there’s anything that you could recommend. I just don’t see me getting under 100 again if I can’t get off the tee consistently. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Definitely go see a golf pro for a few lessons, some of the best money you will ever spend on this silly game. It is pretty hard to score if you can't drive the ball decently but the place where you really shave the most strokes is the short game and putting. Just my dos centavos and YMMV.

If you are really serious, track greens and fairways hit in regulation, up and down saves and the number of putts. It's a great way to see if you are improving.

Definitely go see a golf pro for a few lessons, some of the best money you will ever spend on this silly game. It is pretty hard to score if you can't drive the ball decently but the place where you really shave the most strokes is the short game and putting. Just my dos centavos and YMMV.

If you are really serious, track greens and fairways hit in regulation, up and down saves and the number of putts. It's a great way to see if you are improving.
+1. Even the best touring pro players have coaches to keep their swing on track. I recommend going to a pro if you want to improve. Then you have to practice what you learn with purpose, or you’ll revert to your old habits IME. Good luck.

Midpack-

Very nice! I've almost bought Mizuno irons a couple times so, I'd like to hear what you think of them. BTW, I'm impressed you still hit a 4 "iron" instead of a hybrid.

Very nice! I've almost bought Mizuno irons a couple times so, I'd like to hear what you think of them. BTW, I'm impressed you still hit a 4 "iron" instead of a hybrid.
I’m coming from Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons so I am sure I will like these. I wanted more forgiveness, really didn’t want more distance but it appears I got that anyway with the JPX923 HMPs - I’ve already had a couple layups go too far. :blush:

I learned and played irons for decades before the first hybrids ever hit the market, I am not looking forward to the day I can't get irons to launch like they're supposed to. It was hard for me to let go of my 2 iron years ago, but with loft jacking my new 4 iron is the same loft. :facepalm: I’ve had a couple hybrids, never liked them, I had a 4 hybrid until last year, replaced it with a 7W last Fall - and I like it much better.

Last edited:
Midpack-

I played long irons for years but moved to hybrids a few years ago. I have 4-6 in hybrids and irons on down. Geezer golf.

So excited I got my request for two tickets to Royal Troon for the 2024 British Open. I just booked a hotel for 3 nights in Glasgow, figuring I will train in for the tournament. Planning a nice trip with my wife for the remaining portion. I might play a round of golf somewhere, depending on our plans. Anyone else going?

Joke Of The Day

Played with my Dad last week. He's nearly 88, and blind in one eye, and doesn't see well out of the other eye. But he has as much fun as anyone I know. I guess I was "Jack", and it did put some pressure on me to watch, remember, and find his ball. Had a great time, though.

One of those "aarggh!" days on the course this morning...

- 10 greens in regulation
- 16 holes where I had at least a par putt of 8 feet or less
- result: just 2 pars
- on 5 of the holes, the par or birdie put literally rolled around 1/4 to 1/2 of the cup lip, but did not fall in.
- longest putt made was a 25 footer... to save a double bogey

Oh well... now to get the pole saw and take my frustrations out on a few wayward tree limbs... :)

Went to Glade Springs golf resort (WV) last week with three golf buddies. It’s wonderful mountain golf; lots of trees, very lush. Although, one gets into the **** quickly on such courses. We played Cobb, Stonehaven & Woodhaven. It is a great time of year to play there and very affordable; golf, lodging (single rooms), groceries, some meals & local transport was only ~$1,000/golfer.

Cobb course was excellent, Stonehaven is an absolute gem, and Woodhaven was a complete disappointment and should be avoided. If we go back, we’ll play Cobb once and Stonehaven twice. We also played a two rounds in NoVA, one on the way in & another on the way out.

Met some buddies in Vegas for a golf trip, followed by two days of golf with my bride. Most LV courses aerate in late summer/early fall so, one course was a bit shaggy the first day. But, overall a great trip.

Played Rio Secco (4.5), Bear’s Best (4.0), Paiute Wolf (5.0), Reflection Bay (4.5) & Desert Willow (3.5). My ratings on a 1-5 scale.

Thoughts:
-Rio Secco is gorgeous, meandering through canyons, well away from houses
-Bear’s Best is “Meh”; wouldn’t be on most folks rota if Jack’s name wasn’t attached to it
-Paiute is always a pleasure, a real hidden gem; it had 54 holes & no Water restrictions (Native American land)
-Reflection Bay just rebuilt all 18 greens (after losing them) and it’s in great shape.
-Desert Willow is a Par 60 Executive course that’s nice but, not remarkable. Good for my bride though, since she’s a beginner.

Played yesterday on one of the local munis with my Thursday group. A golf buddy in our threesome carded four birdies and an eagle for a career round shooting his age of 74. Something I've never seen in all my years (four birds and an eagle) of playing golf. Needless to say, he was a pretty happy camper even in light of the three doubles bogeys. Always fun to watch someone play the best round of their life.

Played yesterday on one of the local munis with my Thursday group. A golf buddy in our threesome carded four birdies and an eagle for a career round shooting his age of 74. Something I've never seen in all my years (four birds and an eagle) of playing golf. Needless to say, he was a pretty happy camper even in light of the three doubles bogeys. Always fun to watch someone play the best round of their life.

Very cool! I play regularly with a 78 yo who’s shot his age or less four times. The last time was about 6 wks ago when I was playing in his group. I knew he was playing pretty well that day but, really no idea of his score. He made a curling 8 ft putt on 18 for par, then got this wonderful smile of satisfaction and said, “I just shot my age.” Lots of congrats all round, of course, and drinks for him in the clubhouse.

Met some buddies in Vegas for a golf trip, followed by two days of golf with my bride. Most LV courses aerate in late summer/early fall so, one course was a bit shaggy the first day. But, overall a great trip.

Played Rio Secco (4.5), Bear’s Best (4.0), Paiute Wolf (5.0), Reflection Bay (4.5) & Desert Willow (3.5). My ratings on a 1-5 scale.

Thoughts:
-Rio Secco is gorgeous, meandering through canyons, well away from houses
-Bear’s Best is “Meh”; wouldn’t be on most folks rota if Jack’s name wasn’t attached to it
-Paiute is always a pleasure, a real hidden gem; it had 54 holes & no Water restrictions (Native American land)
-Reflection Bay just rebuilt all 18 greens (after losing them) and it’s in great shape.
-Desert Willow is a Par 60 Executive course that’s nice but, not remarkable. Good for my bride though, since she’s a beginner.

I've played a lot in Vegas, Reflection Bay is very nice. All the Paiute courses are excellent. Always wanted to play Bear's Best will give it a second thought based on your review. I'll look into Rio Secco.

Back
Top Bottom