Google Theremin

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
If you like playing with music, don't miss today's Google search feature.
The Theremin.
Fun to play with as-is, but you can also download it as an app...
While it doesn't download as a program for PC, a search for "download theremin for PC" brings up multiple downloadable programs.
I tried the first one that came up, and am enjoying the many variations.

Be sure to click on the "Explore how music works", too. Easy to spend some time here. Lots of basics, and some open source tech for much more interesting music stuff.

Last edited:
I learned something new today. I've never heard of a theremin before!

and as mentioned... brings back memories...

from wiki:

Recording was a tedious and time-consuming process; each track was assembled one at a time due to Moog synthesizers being monophonic, meaning only one note could be played at a time. Carlos added, "You had to release the note before you could make the next note start, which meant you had to play with a detached feeling on the keyboard, which was really very disturbing in making music".[4] Carlos pointed out the unreliability of the instrument, calling it often going out of tune "standard operating mode", and recalled hitting it with a hammer prior to recording to obtain correct levels. After several notes were played, it was checked once again to make sure it had not "drifted".[4] Switched-On Bach took, according to Carlos, approximately five months and a total of one thousand hours to produce.[5]

Last edited:
and as mentioned... brings back memories...

from wiki:
Recording was a tedious and time-consuming process; each track was assembled one at a time due to Moog synthesizers being monophonic, meaning only one note could be played at a time. Carlos added, "You had to release the note before you could make the next note start, which meant you had to play with a detached feeling on the keyboard, which was really very disturbing in making music".[4] Carlos pointed out the unreliability of the instrument, calling it often going out of tune "standard operating mode", and recalled hitting it with a hammer prior to recording to obtain correct levels. After several notes were played, it was checked once again to make sure it had not "drifted".[4] Switched-On Bach took, according to Carlos, approximately five months and a total of one thousand hours to produce.[5]

In case you, or anyone else does not realize - that youtube is NOT from (Walter/Wendy) Carlos's Switched On Bach. It is some terrible, awful, hideous, imitation, that violates every principal of the hard work and soul that she put into that ground-breaking album. I sure hope no one thinks that noise is what Wendy Carlos created!

I couldn't find any of the original on youutube, they must have the copyrights locked up. Fortunately, I have the original LP, several later CDs, and the boxed set.

Much more here, she is a genius in other fields as well:

Wendy Carlos HomePage

But no sound samples either.

Wow, not even on Amazon - I guess they lost their distributor, out of print? I'm sure I didn't pay $240 for the box set (not that it wouldn't be worth that!)!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002DDS5/$%7B0%7D

edit/add: Hah, Amazon had the record of me purchasing it: $42.99, Ordered on December 6, 2005

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom