So Proud of Granddaughter

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just wanted to share with the world that my GD made the cut to perform in a Christmas Program. She will be playing the violon and so happy for her. She started playing/learning about 8 months ago and has come a long way from day one.

She is the youngest to make the violon team this year!!! I can't wait to hear her preform.

I believe I ask this here before, but does anyone else have a fiddle player in the family? If I remember right, there was a few that had.

Congratulations grandpa! It’s exciting to watch them grow.

Congratulations grandpa! It’s exciting to watch them grow.

+1 You’re entitled to be a proud grampa.

I believe I ask this here before, but does anyone else have a fiddle player in the family? If I remember right, there was a few that had.

I have a niece and nephew that play violin, she also plays fiddle. They both play professionally (as hobbies) and I’ve heard her play fiddle many times, folk music at Irish pubs. She also spent a year in Ireland and performed regularly there.

+1 You’re entitled to be a proud grampa.

I have a niece and nephew that play violin, she also plays fiddle. They both play professionally (as hobbies) and I’ve heard her play fiddle many times, folk music at Irish pubs. She also spent a year in Ireland and performed regularly there.

Yes, yes I remember you mentioning that before when I was so excited for DG to want to learn violon.

That is awesome MichaelB!!!

Very nice... Our Daughter played violin for several programs in grade school.

Congrats to you, street. The violin is such a versatile instrument....covers everything from Giuseppe Verdi to Ricky Skaggs and all points in between.

Have your Grand Daughter listen to this young lady playing the 'fiddle' on the Bluegrass classic "Sis Draper"

Congratulations! Enjoy her performance :flowers:

Thanks everyone I was just very happy for her. Sunset you are so right, it just isn't the playing the violon, but the learning of life lessons and where hard work takes you. The competition in life is always present in whatever we do to achieve where we want to go in life.

Just wanted to share with the world that my GD made the cut to perform in a Christmas Program. She will be playing the violon and so happy for her. She started playing/learning about 8 months ago and has come a long way from day one.

She is the youngest to make the violon team this year!!! I can't wait to hear her preform.

Congratulations to your granddaughter.
Yes we have great fiddle players in our family. My mums cousin was very well known and I have 3 cousins from the same side of the family that were all playing the accordian competitively from the age of 5 up. My mum also played the fiddle but not very well in our opinion at the time and I actually have her fiddle in my closet, it's over 100 years old.

https://projects.handsupfortrad.scot/hall-of-fame/john-elliss-scottish-dance-band/

That's great! I'm a firm believer that even if a person doesn't pursue music seriously, that even learning some of the basics of an instrument will just bring something positive into their lives.

One of my daughters played in the string orchestra in grade school (went onto flute later, as did her older sister, and their brother played trumpet - he is the only one that stuck with music, now plays guitar and keyboards a little).

So I have to warn you a bit - the beginner string orchestras can be kinda tough to listen to. Because those string instruments are fret-less, beginners have trouble getting the pitch right. Plus there will be some squeaky bowing. It takes some time for the group to get that under control enough to sound as good as the other instruments, which have more defined pitches. Even the high school string sections would sound a bit off from time to time.

I'm sure you will still totally enjoy the experience, I just wanted to temper expectations. I hope she sticks with it, I'm also a big fan of country and Irish fiddle (in addition to Classical violin).

-ERD50

Congratulations to your DGD!
Enjoy the Christmas concert, it is so fun to be a part of grandkids lives.

Congratulations street and all others with youngsters pursuing music performance.

I have a question. When (what age) and where did they begin their musical training? My grandson (age 4 years 10 months) loves music and has shown a keen interest in learning to play an instrument. I am considering signing him up to a music introduction class at a local "School of Rock" for the Young wings (I think that's what its called) program? Its a month to month sign up which meets weekly to teach music to kids that age in a small group. We went to the studio and he really seemed to enjoy the introduction. is this worth it? Is he at an appropriate age to even start learning about music rhythm, etc?
Thanks,
Pop-pop

Congratulations street and all others with youngsters pursuing music performance.

I have a question. When (what age) and where did they begin their musical training? My grandson (age 4 years 10 months) loves music and has shown a keen interest in learning to play an instrument. I am considering signing him up to a music introduction class at a local "School of Rock" for the Young wings (I think that's what its called) program? Its a month to month sign up which meets weekly to teach music to kids that age in a small group. We went to the studio and he really seemed to enjoy the introduction. is this worth it? Is he at an appropriate age to even start learning about music rhythm, etc?
Thanks,
Pop-pop

No, not too early, IMO:

https://www.britannica.com/list/7-famous-child-prodigies

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was the child prodigy par excellence, playing songs on the harpsichord at four years old and composing simple music at five.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom