Great quote from Ken Fisher

FREE866

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not sure which forum this belongs in , but I really like it!

Spend time defining who you are. You get to decide who you are after you retire. When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition. View retirement an opportunity to think through who you want to be.

I disagree. I defined myself when I was working also by treating people with respect, making ethical and prudent decisions and listening when it was needed. Have not swayed off those principles

I disagree. I defined myself when I was working also by treating people with respect, making ethical and prudent decisions and listening when it was needed. Have not swayed off those principles

That's a fair take, but I read it more as the opportunity to spend your time doing things that define who you are. Doing things that have meaning to you. Most jobs/career don't offer that. Didn't for me anyway.

I put it another way: Since I was six years old, someone has told me when to awaken, when to sleep, when I can eat, when I can go to the facility, and often what clothes I could/should wear.

Now it’s my turn! [emoji41]

I get it, but I spent my career getting paid for exactly what I had always wanted to do. I'm sure Ken Fisher's quote applies to a lot of people, but it doesn't apply to me.

As a kid my dad mandated frequent buzz haircuts. Then I join the Air Force for 20+ years and had to keep it short. Now finally I am retired and can enjoy the luxury of a long, wild hair style....except now I'm bald! :horse:

That's a fair take, but I read it more as the opportunity to spend your time doing things that define who you are. Doing things that have meaning to you. Most jobs/career don't offer that. Didn't for me anyway.

Yes.

I get that you can have a job that you enjoy and have satisfaction from. But if your work doesn't at all constrain who you want to be or what you want to do with your life, why retire early?

Yes.

I get that you can have a job that you enjoy and have satisfaction from. But if your work doesn't at all constrain who you want to be or what you want to do with your life, why retire early?

then I guess keep working.

To clarify, I enjoyed my working years, but it certainly didn't "define " me...

In my 28 year working career I was in sales---I sold financial products, then talent for TV commercials and then print..they were sales jobs.....~50 hours a week that was my focus....

now I'm retired
my focus now is numerous volunteer projects --helping immigrants study for their GEDs, teaching chess to young children, helping the elderly with creative writing and engagement, and I also do work helping animals . So FOR ME--these activities are more in line with my values...I'm not stating this to brag , but just that has been my experience.

Spend time defining who you are. You get to decide who you are after you retire. When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition. View retirement an opportunity to think through who you want to be.

I understand the sentiment. But I've always chosen my workplace based on who and what I wanted to be. So, at least for me, I don't need to redefine myself now that I'm retired.

As a kid my dad mandated frequent buzz haircuts. Then I join the Air Force for 20+ years and had to keep it short. Now finally I am retired and can enjoy the luxury of a long, wild hair style....except now I'm bald! :horse:

Grow out the back with a ponytail. lol

You lost me at Ken Fisher. Just got another mailing from Fisher investments today.

I suspect he would add to the quote, "and don't forget to invest your money with me"

I put it another way: Since I was six years old, someone has told me when to awaken, when to sleep, when I can eat, when I can go to the facility, and often what clothes I could/should wear.

Now it’s my turn! [emoji41]

The flip side of that was expressed by Red, "Forty years I've been asking permission to p*ss. I can't squeeze a drop without say-so. There's a harsh truth to face: no way I'm gonna make it on the outside."

I was gonna grow my hair long, grow a beard and try pot after I retired from the Navy. Found I couldn't stand going for more than a couple of months without a haircut or about 5 days without a shave. By the time I had nothing to lose smoking pot (e.g., security clearance) I was no longer interested. :facepalm:

Work has never defined me.

FISHER INVESTMENTS are crooks. Period. They used to (over 20yrs ago)exclusively sell annuities, all different kinds, to supposedly "qualified applicants,(people whom knew no better usually pumping up their self assessment as being qualified) ....except SPIAs.

Now.....they're falling in line & adjusting.
This I know as fact, despite whatever you find online.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Actually, an annuity originating from over 20 years ago might look pretty darn good about now, given that few back then correctly saw how far and low interest rates would drop, and for how long.

Actually, an annuity originating from over 20 years ago might look pretty darn good about now, given that few back then correctly saw how far and low interest rates would drop, and for how long.

A 1yr treasury bill was 5.78 back then(2000), there are multiple benchmarks.

My point was I had a" FISHER INVESTMENTS " client office in an office bld. They were there ONLY to maximize profits from clients with life insurance & annuities retirement models .
Best wishes....

A 1yr treasury bill was 5.78 back then(2000), there are multiple benchmarks.

My point was I had a" FISHER INVESTMENTS " client office in an office bld. They were there ONLY to maximize profits from clients with life insurance & annuities retirement models .
Best wishes....

They used to sell ONLY annuities?

do you have a source for that claim?
thx

I agree with bolt. Fisher Investments constantly bombards us with "if you have $500K", come to us. High fees. Still get the junk mail occasionally. I maintained my value system throughout my working career of 36.5 years with a reputable company whose motto was "It is only by dealing fairly and honestly with people that you can be truly successful in business". You might as well repeat the Golden Rule here. Anyway, in retirement I still believe and practice that philosophy.

Why the double posts on here and City Data?

Yeah noticed that too.
Fisher Investments still calls me once in awhile. I have a little fun with them, then they end the call.

Although it wasn't part of my original "plan", the nature of my job at the first mega corp I worked for allowed me to have direct and regular exposure to many fortune 100 companies. After more than a decade, it became increasing clear to me that there were a couple of these mega corps that had a culture that seemed to fit my personality/style/views pretty well. They must have noticed it too since I got multiple job offers from them and eventually I went to work for one of them.

So I don't think the mega corps I worked for defined or shaped me as much as they honed or focused my skills and personal style. That allowed me to naturally fit in and excel. Now that I'm retired I still practice those same styles and values, by choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom