Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
The active ingredients for the Great Value Disinfecting Wipes I got at Walmart are:
4 kinds of ammonium chloride, less than 1%. The container says it kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and kills cold and flu viruses. It also has lemon scent!

I am not going to use any of the wipes, its is too valuable. I am going to put the container on my mantle as a show piece. Or maybe put it in my lockbox.

The new 6 pack of Lysol wipes I bought at Costco the other day (I was lucky! Anyway, I think it used to be an 8-pack, but each container of the new 6 pack is bigger now, with 100 wipes) - The killing power increased from 99.9% to 99.99% with "+20% more cleaning ingredients."

I went to a local Walmart last week, looking for Lysol wipes, and of course found an empty shelf. The stocker was standing near by so I asked him if they ever get any of these, and he said, "I tell you what, come in at 06:00 on Tuesday morning, since we stock the shelves on Monday night before we go home". So, I showed up extremely early at 05:55, and was the first person in the store. You guessed it...completely empty shelves.

Boise Albertsons yesterday. Maybe six Clorox wipes left. Lots of TP. Veggies and meat all looked normal.

I’m not harlee, but:

Lysol Wipes Ingredients
Ethanol Alcohol acts as a sanitizer and adds fragrance.
Alkyl (C14 50%, C12 40%, C16 10%) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride is the main active ingredient responsible for killing germs.
Alkyl Polyglucoside cuts through dirt and bad odors.
Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether acts as a solvent.
OK thanks!

A couple weeks ago, the FDA gave their approval for a specific Lysol brand disinfectant spray, that actually kills the Covid-19 virus. And then we acquired one when one of our kids, who uses it and the present can of it ran out, was able to order it for pickup through one of the warehouse clubs. Sold only in a multi-pack, more than they needed.

It is Lysol Professional Disinfectant Spray, in a 19 Oz. aerosol can. "Intended for use only in: Ambulances, Blood banks, Clinics, Hospitals, etc." on and on. Has a long long list of bacteria and viruses that it kills. A subset of them require 10 minute contact to do the job. Lots of instructions and very fine print on the can!
The active ingredients are: A_D_B_A_Cl as you listed above, but the last molecule is saccharinate instead of chloride. I'm not an org chem person, so what the effect of that difference is, I don't know.
Ethanol content is 58%.

The can also says "Kills over 100 illness causing germs", and "Kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria", but in this case, it actually lists them all! I did not find Corona virus/Covid-19 listed in the very fine print. For sure the can was printed and loaded well before the FDA approved it for killing Covid-19, so not listing it on the can is to be expected.

The active ingredients for the Great Value Disinfecting Wipes I got at Walmart are:
4 kinds of ammonium chloride, less than 1%. The container says it kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and kills cold and flu viruses. It also has lemon scent!

I am not going to use any of the wipes, its is too valuable. I am going to put the container on my mantle as a show piece. Or maybe put it in my lockbox.
If the alcohol content is high, keep it away from flames! ;)

Shouldn't you put it in a front window to show all the passer-bys that you have it, and have moved up? :D

I noticed that we were getting pretty far into the stack of crushed tomatoes so I put some cans in our pickup order at the local kroger affiliate. Nada. I ended up buying a case )12 cans) of the only brand I recognized on Amazon. Had I been interested in the foodservice cans (whopping 105 oz each) I would be knee deep in the stuff. Crushed tomatoes are a staple for us, so I am happy to restock, but this seems like a really simple thing I would think they could keep stocked.

I noticed that we were getting pretty far into the stack of crushed tomatoes so I put some cans in our pickup order at the local kroger affiliate. Nada. I ended up buying a case )12 cans) of the only brand I recognized on Amazon. Had I been interested in the foodservice cans (whopping 105 oz each) I would be knee deep in the stuff. Crushed tomatoes are a staple for us, so I am happy to restock, but this seems like a really simple thing I would think they could keep stocked.

I like the food service cans from Costco, cheaper than buying a bunch of little cans.
I use them when making spaghetti sauce, as that's when I make a giant pot.

This kind of item would keep in fridge for quite awhile, you can also open it use some and then freeze it in desired portions. If you are concerned about getting any I just do that to at least one big can... cheap and easy.

This kind of item would keep in fridge for quite awhile, you can also open it use some and then freeze it in desired portions. If you are concerned about getting any I just do that to at least one big can... cheap and easy.

I ended up with a case of 28 ounce cans, so no need for any of that.

I ended up with a case of 28 ounce cans, so no need for any of that.

I don't think there is going to be a tomato shortage either just an idea...does Amazon have competitive prices for items like that? I do know they have good prices on their prime pantry items, my DD uses that a lot.

I don't think there is going to be a tomato shortage either just an idea...does Amazon have competitive prices for items like that? I do know they have good prices on their prime pantry items, my DD uses that a lot.

$21 for 12 cans of Cento brand crushed tomatoes with basil, delivered. Sometimes prices are fine, lately many are not. You can tell an item is scarce when only the scalpers are selling on Amazon.

My local Costco has not had their Kirkland Signature brand of tomatoes for months. Lately, they have bringing in canned tomatoes from Italy.

I seem to recall seeing news stories in April about farmers plowing under fields of ripe tomatoes. Perhaps the chickens have come home to roost.

It really is strange about tomato products. A production issue? A distribution issue?

BJs continually offers coupons for Classico tomato sauce and Muir Glen canned tomatoes - both favorites of ours. The store has not had them in stock for months, and the other options aren't as good and don't come in the right size of can. Neither have they had Hunt's fire-roasted tomatoes, also a staple in my cooking.

My local Costco has not had their Kirkland Signature brand of tomatoes for months. Lately, they have bringing in canned tomatoes from Italy.

I seem to recall seeing news stories in April about farmers plowing under fields of ripe tomatoes. Perhaps the chickens have come home to roost.

When we drove north to the SF Bay Area a couple of weeks ago, I-5 in the Central Valley was full of tomato trucks on their way to the canneries, as is usual during the summer. So hopefully whatever shortage or supply chain issue we've had will be resolved soon.

No name brand crushed tomatoes go in the cart at my Walmart...only GV store brand

No name brand crushed tomatoes go in the cart at my Walmart...only GV store brand
I'm not a frequent Walmart shopper and I've never bought their crushed tomatoes, but from my experience, GV is a very good brand with an usually low tag.

The Walmart in our town has drawn us away from our usual Kroger store for many items. DH likes to buy organic/non-GMO and Walmart has quite a few organic items at good prices these days. We recently started buying their GV popcorn, which pops up big and fluffy with fewer unpopped kernals than other brands we've tried.

We actually prefer Great Value Greek yogurt to the name brands. Wellsley Farms (BJs house brand) is good, too.
But...oddly enough, I have never, ever found a "house brand" cheese that doesn't taste fake and off.

The Walmart in our town has drawn us away from our usual Kroger store for many items. DH likes to buy organic/non-GMO and Walmart has quite a few organic items at good prices these days. We recently started buying their GV popcorn, which pops up big and fluffy with fewer unpopped kernals than other brands we've tried.

DH also says that our local Walmart is for organic veggies and fruit, and is slowly improving with time. The store is huge so social distancing is not a problem. Surprisingly, Walmart and Costco have become our primary groceries, augmented with a monthly Trader Joe's run.

DH also says that our local Walmart is for organic veggies and fruit, and is slowly improving with time. The store is huge so social distancing is not a problem. Surprisingly, Walmart and Costco have become our primary groceries, augmented with a monthly Trader Joe's run.

Yeah, we've been buying organic apples and carrots at Walmart. Haven't noticed any other organic produce yet. When I see an employee in that area I tell them how much we appreciate the organic produce and that we're shopping there more often partially for that reason.

We actually prefer Great Value Greek yogurt to the name brands. Wellsley Farms (BJs house brand) is good, too.
But...oddly enough, I have never, ever found a "house brand" cheese that doesn't taste fake and off.
Try the Aldi's Happy Farms.
The sliced cheeses are about 2/3 price of Sargento and I think it tastes better.

It really is strange about tomato products. A production issue? A distribution issue?

BJs continually offers coupons for Classico tomato sauce and Muir Glen canned tomatoes - both favorites of ours. The store has not had them in stock for months, and the other options aren't as good and don't come in the right size of can. Neither have they had Hunt's fire-roasted tomatoes, also a staple in my cooking.
Wow, good thing I ordered a case of Muir Glen Fire-roasted tomatoes a couple of months ago from Amazon when I saw the local Walmart didn’t carry it.

How could tomatoes be ripe in April except in southern Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom