Had it with Nascar

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
:mad: More commercials than racing. Even during the best parts of the race.
Never again!

Greed has its' own rewards.

I love cars and sports cars, but never really saw the interest in watching.

:mad: More commercials than racing. Even during the best parts of the race.
Never again!

Greed has its' own rewards.

I haven't watched it much in the last 18 years. But as I do with all sports and television in general, I time shift using my HTPC, so that I can jump through commercials. So, even during an NFL game, I wait until a half hour or so after it starts before I start watching from the beginning. Sometimes, I'll catch up with the live feed by the end.

I have a DVR. Going back/forth with it & Reds.

Dale (jr) and Jeff Gordon have retired and Jimmie Johnson isn't winning anymore. Don't really care about the stars today Bush (Kyle) and Truex. The sport has been going downhill ever since Dale (sr) was killed in a Daytona race.

Anyway, there is nothing stock about stock cars anymore and the rule changes in the past 6 to 8 years have really finished off the sport. I watched the Watkins Glen road race today and fell asleep. The best part of the race was when Bush lost a paint swapping battle and spun out. Got a laugh at of that.

Just about done with it too!

Last edited:
I was a pretty avid fan way back... even went to Speedweek in 2008 I think it was and used to go to our local short track almost every week... I even had a season pass to the short track.

What turned me off on NASCAR was the finish of the 2018 Daytona 500 where Austin Dillon dumped Aric Almirola on the last lap to win the Daytona 500.... that's not racing IMO... any moron can dump a guy for a win..... so I'm done with NASCAR.

I was a fan of Dale Sr. Then Mark Martin. Then Smoke (Tony Stewart). Then (sorta) Gordon. I retired when he did.

And yes, the sport is a hollow shell of what it once was.

I'm not a fan. Today's race was held in Watkins Glen, NY (actually near WG, not in it) about 20 minutes from where I live. My friends go every year and every year they come back and complain about how boring it has become. But they go back every year.
I went once. It was OK, but no need to go again.
It was impressive when at the start all of those loud engines came roaring by, before they'd got spaced out a bit. Very loud. Pretty cool, but not worth a day of my time fighting crowds etc.

NASCAR has been on a decline for quite some time. Attendance at track events declining . When a major money stream is disrupted, the organization will try getting more $ elsewhere.

Seems it started changing when the ad's on the cars went from Skoal tobacco to Tide detergent.

Dale (jr) and Jeff Gordon have retired and Jimmie Johnson isn't winning anymore. Don't really care about the stars today Bush (Kyle) and Truex. The sport has been going downhill ever since Dale (sr) was killed in a Daytona race.

+1
I used to work for DuPont and was a big JG fan. Met him 3 times; got some autographs. After he retired I just didn't have the interest to keep watching.

I was a Nascar fan for about 12 years. Went to Chicagoland Speedway for the races every year. And to a couple in Phoenix. One at the Brickyard. Watched every Sunday on TV. But I lost interest and quit watching about 5 years ago.

Go F1! I watched yesterday's entire race Commercial free! The wheel turns right and left! The problem is there are 10 teams, but really only Mercedes, Ferrari, and Red Bull ever win...while the others fight for the best of the rest.
We often go to F1 COTA race in Austin TX, and great concerts, food, and racing. New race coming to Miami next year. Very cosmopolitan.

The only circle track racing I can watch is with Indy cars. Much prefer road course events and drag racing. Nascar when on a track like the Glen is more appealing.

Haven't watched much since the Richard Petty / Cal Yarbourough days.
Always loved them blue Plymouths.

I don't bother with it any more

I used to follow a lot of sports, motor sports included. Weekends were marathons of wallowing in stats and odds and highlight reels. I knew way more than I needed to about race car drivers, as well as golfers, quarterbacks, pitchers, point guards, and the Williams sisters.

But a few years ago a disturbing trend soured me on fandom. The stars of the competitions, as well as the broadcasters presenting them, began to shift the focus from on-field activities to becoming mouthpieces for grudges and causes totally unrelated to the sport. I turned them off and recaptured my weekends.

In an interesting side note, I was switching back/forth between the Watkins Glen race, and the Mecum auctions. They had one of the original winged Plymouth Superbirds from Richard Petty, (43) from his dominate 1970 season on the auction block, with Richard himself introducing it, and Petty Enterprises doing the full prior restoration. Bidding got to $3.5M, but the reserve was not met. They started the hemi up, and drove it through the crowd up onto the stage....goosebumps from the good old days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom