Help for delivery grocery shopping

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
In an area where there is no Uber or Lyft... online ordering and grocery delivery will be new to us.
We have a local equivalent of Whole Foods that offers this and Walmart offers free shopping/pickup of orders, but not yet delivery. Now, Aldi is promoting InstaCart delivery, that I don't think comes from our local Aldi... 1/2 mile away... but from the Aldi in the next town, some 17 miles away.

Since we're new to this... some questions... which, though answered on the AldiInstaCart website, leave some things that we don't know about or don't understand. So Here goes....

1. Is there a contract involved?
2. Just "how" do we order? From a complete list? By putting in categories and selecting from a limited list?
3. Who does the picking?
4. What about fresh food selection and quality?
5. Credit card?
5. Packaging? Bags? Baskets?
6. Delivery to the door? Second Floor?
7. Minimums...
7. Shipping charges... Preset? Based on order size? Order value... Distance? Pay at the door by CC? Cash?
7. Tipping... seems that a minimum is preset and presumed. To be sure driver gets the tip... pay tip in cash? This seems to be very hazy and controversial.
8. Subject to Aldi double your money on unsatisfactory product?
9. Pricing differential from store? What about weekly sale items.
10. For delivery at a different... later or earlier time... how to Know when?
11. Detailed info on product? Calories, ingredients etc?
12. Our experience is that $100 of food @ Aldi's comes to about 6 large full size bags. Is this what to expect upon delivery?
13. Will not having a smartphone cause any problems?
.... and about a dozen more details.

So if you've done this, what are the plusses and minuses?

Two reasons... first... winter's coming on...
Second... we're already looking at the time when we can no longer drive. Always the question of license renewal, or going down to one or no automobiles.

Any additional thoughts are welcome... Thanks! :flowers:

In an area where there is no Uber or Lyft... online ordering and grocery delivery will be new to us.
We have a local equivalent of Whole Foods that offers this and Walmart offers free shopping/pickup of orders, but not yet delivery. Now, Aldi is promoting InstaCart delivery, that I don't think comes from our local Aldi... 1/2 mile away... but from the Aldi in the next town, some 17 miles away.

Since we're new to this... some questions... which, though answered on the AldiInstaCart website, leave some things that we don't know about or don't understand. So Here goes....

1. Is there a contract involved? - Not for me
2. Just "how" do we order? From a complete list? By putting in categories and selecting from a limited list? Went on the Kroger website. Typed in my item in the search box then chose from the various sizes or brands that were shown.
3. Who does the picking? They have people they hire to do the picking.
4. What about fresh food selection and quality? So far, so good. No complaints.
5. Credit card? Yes. Pay online once I complete my order.
5. Packaging? Bags? Baskets? Kroger plastic bags.
6. Delivery to the door? Second Floor? I've always met them at the door. Don't know about 2nd floor. Don't have one.
7. Minimums... Not sure.
7. Shipping charges... Preset? Based on order size? Order value... Distance? Pay at the door by CC? Cash? Normal Kroger delivery fee is (I think) $9.99. I've only done it when they were offering free delivery.
7. Tipping... seems that a minimum is preset and presumed. To be sure driver gets the tip... pay tip in cash? This seems to be very hazy and controversial. Yes, I tipped. I think I paid it in cash, not positive.
8. Subject to Aldi double your money on unsatisfactory product? N/A
9. Pricing differential from store? What about weekly sale items.
10. For delivery at a different... later or earlier time... how to Know when? You can set a time window.
11. Detailed info on product? Calories, ingredients etc? Well, all their items are pictured on their website so I suppose you could read up on it there. Never felt the need. I was ordering things I would normally get anyway.
12. Our experience is that $100 of food @ Aldi's comes to about 6 large full size bags. Is this what to expect upon delivery? Probably. Depends on whether you are ordering bulky items or tiny items.
13. Will not having a smartphone cause any problems? Probably not, although when my "shopper" could locate an item she would text me and ask if i wasted XXX to be substituted. She would also text when she started shopping and when she was on her way. But I am actually on my PC when I do the ordering.
.... and about a dozen more details.

So if you've done this, what are the plusses and minuses? When I was sick, it was great not having to get dressed and go to the store but still have my groceries. I don't know about minuses. I don't do it that often. So far I've been pleased.

Two reasons... first... winter's coming on...
Second... we're already looking at the time when we can no longer drive. Always the question of license renewal, or going down to one or no automobiles.

Any additional thoughts are welcome... Thanks! :flowers:

I've only done this a couple of times when I've been sick or when Kroger had a special going for free delivery and I was really busy so took advantage of it. Both times it was through Kroger, not Aldi. We do not have an Aldi nearby. That said, see my responses above.

You might want to start with having them shop for you but you pick it up at the store. My daughter does that and she loves it (no dragging the kids into the store). Then you’d get familiar with the process and be at the store if there are any issues. Daughter says they agree to provide what you order or better (for the same price) and tells us not to worry about the produce they pick. She thinks they pick the best. Getting crap produce is my biggest concern. Anyway, try it out that way first and then delivery should be a small consideration if you choose it in the future.

I just read that Amazon provides free grocery delivery for Prime members.

Go to amazon.com/grocery

You can read about it there. (it is in high demand so sign up now to get an invite.)

I have looked and personally find the cost of Amazon meat pretty steep, compared to what I pay.

Last edited:
I've only done this a couple of times when I've been sick or when Kroger had a special going for free delivery and I was really busy so took advantage of it. Both times it was through Kroger, not Aldi. We do not have an Aldi nearby. That said, see my responses above.

Thanks.... exactly what I was hoping for. :dance:

If we have to do this for the next 8 years, we'll be prepared.

My wife ordered regularly from Safeway (large supermarket chain) when she was sick with cancer. Ordered online, paid with credit card, bags left at front door.

Worked well.

We use Walmart for ordering and I can pick up the order at a preselected time. Works well and free (over $30 order). But they don't deliver (Yet).

Back
Top Bottom