High Fasting Glucose Level

I found out that my 66 year old sister has been pre-diabetic for a year (fasting glucose 103). Even if my test was an error, I'm not taking any chances. I'd rather be anorexic than diabetic. ;)

Does your sister do all the good stuff you do (exercise, diet, weight)?

Here's my perspective, based on my recent experience.

Being in a situation where you find that you have diabetes, or that you are quite likely to develop it, is much, much worse than you can imagine unless you've gone through it. Consider never being able to have a piece of chocolate cake, pancakes, or a cookie. Not being able to eat the spaghetti that someone serves you at a dinner party. Imagine having to prick your fingers multiple times per day, or to have to inject yourself with insulin after every meal.

Trust me, it's different when it happens to you. This book can give you a feeling for it:

Amazon.com: The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (First Year, The) (9781569242650): Gretchen Becker, Allison B. Goldfine: Books

So, from that perspective, you want to do whatever it takes to avoid this. And avoiding it is easier if you start before your blood glucose levels get high enough to start wearing out your insulin-producing cells. There's a point of no return, and you want to take care of business before you reach that point.

It's true that if you don't have the diabetes genes, you're not going to get the disease no matter what you do. But if you do have those genes, the gun is loaded, and carbs and being overweight will pull the trigger.

I found out that my 66 year old sister has been pre-diabetic for a year (fasting glucose 103). Even if my test was an error, I'm not taking any chances. I'd rather be anorexic than diabetic.
You'd be surprised how many people with diabetes or pre-diabetes don't see it quite that way. They make the adjustments, have small quantities of nearly everything they always have eaten; some take oral meds, some don't. And about 5% of pre-diabetes enter the diabetes range per year (roughly).

Your reaction may be getting ahead of your reality. I mean that in a reassuring way. Not to discount the importance of this pre-disease, but trust me: there are a lot worse. And don't go crazy with "anorexia" - it is probably riskier than your current nearly ideal body weight.

You'll be fine.

This is a fascinating thread. Thanks to everyone who is sharing their experiences. :flowers:

Your reaction may be getting ahead of your reality.
Yes, that's entirely possible.

Does your sister do all the good stuff you do (exercise, diet, weight)?

I gave her a copy of Younger Next Year 1.5 years ago. She really took it to heart, and started exercising more. She was very grateful (I guess that happens now and then), and bought several copies for her friends. She isn't overweight.

However, I think she falls off the wagon now and then.

Also, I'm not sure she understands the carbohydrate issues. Here's a quote from an email:
"My latest saga.
Last night I had a bowl of cous cous with veggies and clam sauce for dinner. ...My glucose was 207! Higher than ever!!!!!!!!!! for me."
I wouldn't eat much cous-cous.

Not to discount the importance of this pre-disease, but trust me: there are a lot worse.

My Dad had diabetes for 45 years or so until he died still in pretty fair health at age 88. Not nearly so much was known about the proper diet for diabetes during much of this time. Overall, the advice given him might have been better early on, before the low fat mania began.

Anyway, his take was that it isn't that bad a disease as diseases go, particularly for someone with a little common sense. Last year at my HS reunion I saw an old friend who was type 1 since he was 8. He looked great.

It's a bad disease compared to immortality, but as Rich says, there are a lot worse. Like most of the others.

Ha

I've been reading this thread with great interest, but for another reason entirely. Several years ago, my DH was hospitalized for a cardiac procedure. During the routine lab tests prior to the surgery, his doc asked DH when he was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. Both DH and I were shocked as this was news to us. Doc showed us the results and postponed the surgery until the blood glucose was under control (i.e., DH started on insulin.)
After DH was released from hospital, he was fully compliant with meds, exercise and diet, but he was unable to replicate the high blood glucose readings with his meter. When he saw his PCP, the results were "high normal", borderline, but nothing like the numbers in the hospital. This went on for about a month.
Finally got a referral to a top endocrinologist who did a full battery of tests, including taking hair samples and nail scrapings. Every test came back normal. DH did not and does not have T2 diabetes at all. No one was able to explain how this diagnosis came to be.
HOWEVER, we spent the next year trying to remove that diabetes tag from the insurance.

However, I think she falls off the wagon now and then.

So does that mean her and your fasting blood glucose measurements are pretty close even though you are much stricter and vigilant than she is?

Or are those few points a big difference which can be explained by your strict diet and exercise routine?

...he was unable to replicate the high blood glucose readings with his meter. When he saw his PCP, the results were "high normal", borderline, but nothing like the numbers in the hospital. This went on for about a month.
Don't discount the effect of stress (all kinds) on your readings, regardless of diet.

Back when I was first diagnosed (9 years ago) I tested several times a day; today weekly, at most. However, in those early days I could see a direct correlation to my skipping exercise and higher readings.

It seemed that I was able to get rid of excessive stress by just the time I spent on the treadmill.

Being in the hospital is a big stress inducer. I see your DH's pattern as "normal", considering the situation at the time...

So does that mean her and your fasting blood glucose measurements are pretty close even though you are much stricter and vigilant than she is?

Or are those few points a big difference which can be explained by your strict diet and exercise routine?

Hard to say. She's 10 years older than I am, which is probably the most significant difference between us.

I used to have a friend who had Type 2 diabetes. (In fact, one point in my life, I was surrounded by diabetics-all on oral medication, a couple on insulin) This friend would avoid sugar/sweets like a plague, but then, when we went to chinese restaurants (her favorite food), she would request less grease on dishes, and ate a lot of veggies, but only a small amount of protein (chicken, fish and tofu only) and tons of rice. I would tell her white rice turns into sugar once digested, so she should lay off the rice and eat more protein to get full. Of course, she never listened to me. Whatever the standard way of healthy eating her doctors told us about (or whatever the guide books she got when she was first diagnosed in 1980's or 1990's), she followed. She exercised (a few miles of brisk walk every day - rain or shine), and her diabetes was sort of under control, but she had bouts of hypoglecemic episodes and she had a cataract surgery when she was in her 40's.

10 years or so ago, I read a book "Diabetes Solution", written by an engineer turned doctor. He is supposedly the first person to use the glucose meter to monitor blood sugar.

Richard K. Bernstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the book.

Amazon.com: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars (9780316167161): Richard K. Bernstein: Books

The book details what he went through (He is diabetic himself) (with his experiments on himself) to find the solutions to diabetes. He even decided to become a physician in his 40's just so he could publish his findings (and actually having the findings recognized by other physicians).

I gave this book to another diabetic friend of mine (who had a heart attack at age 40 and was in a very bad shape - probably because he never watched what he ate and never exercised. He had a couple of surgeries from blocked arteries. He also has a lot of issues with blood circulations to his feet and almost lost a toe a couple of times.), I have a feeling the book is probably just sitting on his book shelf unread.

tons of rice...
Oh my!

Along with other grains (yes, even corn) can drive up your counts.

I'm amazed the number of folks that are diagnosed (e.g. T2's) that don't take the "informational course" that is supplied by their local hospital on what you can/cannot eat (usually paid for by your health insurance).

BTW, (for TromboneAL), you can eat desserts, regardless of your "challange" (I have several cookbooks, if you are interested).

It dosen't mean that it is the end of life - as you know it. However, it does mean that you must "think" a bit before you put that (whatever) into your mouth :rolleyes: ...

It dosen't mean that it is the end of life - as you know it. However, it does mean that you must "think" a bit before you put that (whatever) into your mouth :rolleyes: ...
That's good general advice for just about all aspects of life...

cous cous , that meal is loaded with Carbohydrates, probably about 140 grams. That would make me go as high as you did. I just avoid those type foods. I have been dealing with this problem for five years. I ordered an A1C from walmart and it came back 5.5. My fasting numbers are under 90 most days. I do not check it as much as I did five years ago, only about three times per month. I eat bad some days but I usually get back on track quick. oldtrig

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Al...how's it going? I'm bummed because I've been tracking my numbers daily and it seems I have the "dawn effect." :( No matter what I eat (or don't eat), when I wake up in the a.m. my numbers are higher than at any other time of day. GAAAAH. This is frustrating as hell. :mad:

It's going well. My numbers have all been good, although sometimes I'm close to 100 after an overnight fast. Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast, but 81 one hour after having a protein smoothie (water, milk, low-carb protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen fruit). Go figure.

Sister was visiting and we compared readings with our different meters, and with two measurements on the same meter one right after the other. They can be 10 points off. Here are the comparisons we made:

My meter: 104, her meter:94
My meter, two measurements: 90, 101
My meter, two measurements: 104, 102, her meter: 97
My meter, two measurements: 81, 82

But I'm done with this now, don't want to let my hypochondriac genes out of the bottle.

Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast.
I don't want your genie out either, but I have one question. What did you eat last night for dinner? Was it something different from what you normally eat?

My meter: 104, her meter:94
My meter, two measurements: 90, 101
My meter, two measurements: 104, 102, her meter: 97
My meter, two measurements: 81, 82
Just remember that meters (regardless of the brand or even the same brand) will not be exact matches - even if using the same supply of strips.

I've always used the A1C and fasting results from my blood testing center as the "gold standard". While my own meter is probably OK for general testing, it can't be considered the final answer on any result.

Hey, it's certainly better than the old days when you had to shave a bit of your finger off to take a test :blush: - or test using a urine sample (sorry about that).

It's going well. My numbers have all been good, although sometimes I'm close to 100 after an overnight fast. Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast, but 81 one hour after having a protein smoothie (water, milk, low-carb protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen fruit). Go figure.

That sounds very similar to my numbers. I've tried eating a small protein snack at bedtime, which seems to help my fasting number. (Fasting typically ranging from 92-97.) I don't get why my numbers are better during the day...even 1 hour after eating. :crazy:

That sounds very similar to my numbers. I've tried eating a small protein snack at bedtime, which seems to help my fasting number. (Fasting typically ranging from 92-97.) I don't get why my numbers are better during the day...even 1 hour after eating. :crazy:
Sarah, among other possibilities most everyone's serum cortisol level peaks at around 8 am, and is lowest around 4 pm. This so-called "diurnal variation" is one of those mystery internal alarm clocks that have to do with sleep, brain function and other physiologic events.

Cortisol raises glucose which is why the use of steroids such as prednisone or Decadron can bring out diabetes in those who do not otherwise have the diagnosis.

Thanks, Rich. Now I'm awash in medical terminology. Must check dictionary, brb. :duh: One other weird thing I'm seeing with the fasting number...if I sleep in, I get an even higher number. Seems that the earlier I rise, the lower my fasting number. Ugh.

Perhaps that's related to what you posted?

Thanks, Rich. Now I'm awash in medical terminology. Must check dictionary, brb. :duh: One other weird thing I'm seeing with the fasting number...if I sleep in, I get an even higher number. Seems that the earlier I rise, the lower my fasting number. Ugh.

Perhaps that's related to what you posted?
Sure. Your "clock" is your clock and may not be in synch with the "average."

I find that a lot of my diabetic patients sometimes tend to focus a little too "finely" on the details. Do your best and don't worry about subtle variations. If your glycohgb is doing OK, so are you. If not, adjustments can be made.

Rich--I appreciate your feedback. So far I'm in the same boat as Al... "pre-diabetic" and freaking out. :D

Today I was 100 after 12 hour fast, but 81 one hour after having a protein smoothie (water, milk, low-carb protein powder, peanut butter, and frozen fruit).

Al--can you recommend a brand of protein powder? I tried some from GNC and it tastes awful.

I have some EAS 100% whey protein, vanilla, and some GNC 100% whey protein,chocolate, and I like the taste of both of them. I've seen "Designer Whey Protein" mentioned as tasting good.

My shake this morning had 4 oz water, 4 oz 2% milk, 1 heaping tsp of metamucil-compatible (orange flavor), 2 tsp protein powder, 2-3 tbs peanut butter, and 1/2 frozen green banana (that is, I buy them green, and cut and freeze them before they ripen). The peanut butter is the most important part.

OK, thanks. I also freeze bananas...but I just toss 'em into the freezer in the peel. The peel will blacken but the banana keeps just fine to use in a smoothie.

Back
Top Bottom