How much sleep do you get?

I go to bed around midnight, my dog wakes me up when the sun comes up. I usually get about 6 hours each nite, but naps:confused: ah, nappy-poohs. I love naps. Because I don't get 8 hours I often nap at 2pm, but not every day..... ah, so nice 2B retired. I'm 70.

I was also diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year. Pretty severe case since I didn’t have the classic abdominal pain, so it was missed by Drs. several times - until I ended up in the hospital for 10 days and nearly had a heart attack. UC is linked to Atrial fibulation (A-Fib). My major symptom now is fatigue (sometimes small amount of blood).
I’ve learned that when I’m fatigued (vs just ‘tired’), I see my UC Dr. And my inflammatory markers are up. My meds are adjusted and within a day or two I no longer need a nap! I still get tired, but that’s way different than the whole body fatigue.
So, if the need for nap(s) is growing, please see your UC doctor.

To answer your question, I sleep 7 hrs a night (on average). I’m 60.

I like the OP have a pillow speaker and usually have old time radio playing but sometimes a podcast.

I have a varying amount of sleep. Usually go to bed between 8:30 and 10, occasionally I will immediately fall asleep and wake up a little after 11 feeling like I slept all night and realize I just got started, but sleep well the rest of the night. Other nights I hear a lot of oldtime radio. I don't seem consistent. with my sleep. If I don't sleep well I have no problem with an afternoon nap. I have been known to take a couple of Benadryl and with that I usually sleep about an hour later in the morning.

I mentioned above that I seem to need 9 hours of sleep to feel my best. Some years ago I read that needing more than the average number of hours of sleep means you are headed for Alzheimer's disease, or bad things in general. Honestly, this stuck in my head but I can't remember the source, whether dubious or not. Just wondering whether the book on sleep people are mentioning here (which I want to read) says anything like this. I guess the larger question is, is there any reason we as humans are so variable in our sleep needs, especially after a certain age?

Six hours exactly...I'm out by a light by 11pm and wake up at 5am every weekday morning (my alarm is set for 5:05am but I rarely need it). I hit the gym at 5:30am..it was my routine in my working years and now it's still my routine in my retirement years. The only difference is that when I get back home I don't have to rush to get to a job and I can just lay back and finish the book I've been reading.

7.5 hours. The key is to sleep at the same and wake up at the same time to keep your sleep cycle the same. Never neglect your sleep. It will drop your QOL with multiple health issues.

I mentioned above that I seem to need 9 hours of sleep to feel my best. Some years ago I read that needing more than the average number of hours of sleep means you are headed for Alzheimer's disease, or bad things in general.

And I thought I read somewhere that not getting enough sleep could put you at risk for Alzheimer's!:D

I seem to need 8-9 hours now. I have shortness of breath on exertion due to cardiac valve issues and I feel it a lot more if I'm fatigued so I try to get enough sleep. napping if necessary.

Never sleep through the night, but probably get around 6 hours a night plus sometimes a 20 minute afternoon nap.

I have never had problems sleeping. I fall asleep within minutes. I sleep 8-10 hours. I get up 2-3 times a night for the bathroom.

+1 been that way all my life, well except for the bathroom part. that's only come on the last 10-15 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom